Root and backup

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me because I know all this has been asked before. I am a newbie to android, but I am at least moderately tech savvy.

How difficult is it to root the Evo? I was prepared to do this the opening day but I thought the method that got posted right before the phone was released. But I thought it got unrooted by the update that was released. So how can I root my evo?

Also I don't wanna do this and not have a backup in case I need to take my phone in to have it worked on. What do i use to back up my stock evo? Or is a backup even needed if you only want to root your phone? I am not looking to install a custom ROM just want root access to remove crap if I want.

Thanks for any help.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
when you root you create a nand backup of your stock ROM. i saved my nand backup so i can always go back to it if i want. once rooted, nand backups take about 2 minutes, and they are a mirror image of your entire OS. so every single thing is saved from call log entries, to texts, down to every single file. so you can create many nand backups, and restore them and bring your phone back to any instant in time you wish.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
haha i was just kidding, not a political form anyway.

In the end root is root. Make sure you follow one of the methods in the Hacks forum that is stickied, or rufflez mac version. (though the mac one isnt yet i think)

if you mean rom in the statement above instead of root, Personaly i like the Rvu Custom rom.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
nand images are great if you're using, like the Clockwork recovery. I don't know if you can restore that from stock recovery.

In any event, HTC has an EXE file actually that restores everything in your phone to stock, you can get it here: [ROM]RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6 - xda-developers

You can also root with unrevoked and not have to erase anything, then you can use Titanium backup and root other ways or flash other roms and then restore all your settings/apps.

Last edited: