Anyone have thoughts about this default GSM PRL issue mentioned here:
    change GSM auto prl to CDMA auto - Android Forums

I went into the settings, and indeed, my phone was set to GSM (auto) PRL so I followed the instructions to switch it to CDMA (auto) PRL, but wondering if this is just some text/menu bug, or whether there is really an underlying setting problem that is some major improvement/fix in the overall experience?
    06-18-2010 02:49 AM
    Well, I made the change on my phone, and I went from getting 7 - 8 hours of moderate to heavy usage to 16 - 18 hours of the same type of usage.

Other friends have done the same "tweak" and are getting much better battery life as well.
    06-18-2010 03:58 AM
    I'm a software developer and in my opinion it's just a bug causing that setting to revert back to GMS after the forced close occurs. I get the force close every time I go in there, and each time after the forced close the screen reverts back to "GSM (auto) PRL" and then of course you need to change it back to CDMA. I just think this is a result of the program crashing.

So unless someone tells me they saw "GSM (auto) PRL" in the screen BEFORE they got the forced close, I'm going with it's just a glitch that only occurs when the force close happens. So if you never go in there and never get the forced close, then you are never setup for GSM (auto) PRL.

I did go through all the steps and it had no effect on my battery usage. But then again, when I first went into the screen (before the forced close) it was already set to CDMA. Now maybe if there are people who's phone is set to GMS before they get the forced close that would be an issue.
    06-18-2010 06:29 AM
    This is interesting but kind of confusing. That's a phone setting and the phone can't even "speak GSM" in other words, how would it even look for a GSM PRL update?

In other news, I recently had a PRL update (Queens, NY).
    06-18-2010 07:18 AM
    placebo effect?
    06-18-2010 07:22 AM
    This is interesting but kind of confusing. That's a phone setting and the phone can't even "speak GSM" in other words, how would it even look for a GSM PRL update?

Did you make a manual PRL update or did the phone notify you in some way? In my history (on the pre, i had to do manual ones)
    06-18-2010 08:25 AM
    There's a thread here on it already:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...ery-issue.html
    06-18-2010 09:02 AM
    Did you make a manual PRL update or did the phone notify you in some way? In my history (on the pre, i had to do manual ones)
    It was a manual update.
    06-18-2010 09:44 AM
    I'm a software developer and in my opinion it's just a bug causing that setting to revert back to GMS after the forced close occurs. I get the force close every time I go in there, and each time after the forced close the screen reverts back to "GSM (auto) PRL" and then of course you need to change it back to CDMA. I just think this is a result of the program crashing.

So unless someone tells me they saw "GSM (auto) PRL" in the screen BEFORE they got the forced close, I'm going with it's just a glitch that only occurs when the force close happens. So if you never go in there and never get the forced close, then you are never setup for GSM (auto) PRL.

I did go through all the steps and it had no effect on my battery usage. But then again, when I first went into the screen (before the forced close) it was already set to CDMA. Now maybe if there are people who's phone is set to GMS before they get the forced close that would be an issue.
    i think you're mistaken. the force close is shutting down the part of the phone that you are looking to service so you can service it. forgive me i don't know the jargon. it's not that the force closes causes the phone to revert to GSM. GSM is native for android and is what android was initially developed for. CDMA is actually "hacked" in to android and it appears nobody has gone in there to fix the default on CDMA phones. this has been the same issue for every CDMA phone i have heard of.
    06-18-2010 10:11 AM

android natively "speaks GSM" these phones just don't have GSM radios. CDMA is its second language.
    06-18-2010 10:12 AM
    Shouldn't have either HTC or Sprint disabled any GSM option. What's the point if there is no GSM radio in there?
    06-18-2010 10:18 AM
    Starting off, I don't have any complaints, my phone, and battery life have been functioning fine as far as I can tell (18+ hours on moderate use), but this setting made me curious.

When I first checked (didn't click on any 'select radio' etc...just looked at the menu), it said GSM (auto) PRL, then I went in to select radio option, and it gave the force kill, and then it let me change to CDMA (auto) PRL, and after a reboot, it is sticking with CDMA (auto) PRL, so it appears the setting change applied correctly, but so far I don't see any real differences.

With the new change it looks to still be running at the same run rate, battery wise, but just wondering if i should see any improvement/impact or if it is just a UI bug.

Sounds like from the earlier response/thread, that this issue seems to have impacted battery life for others.
    06-18-2010 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD