To those who say it's just a "phone" regarding EVO video rec quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty pissed off that my EVO does not have a built in wrench, a blender and a toaster oven but than again it was never advertised as a device that can do everything and can do everything better than everything else can do.

Return your EVO and go get an iphone

I was questioning the quality of the video because it's advertised as HD (High Definition). If it advertised having a wrench, blender, and toaster I would expect it to turn bolts, blend margaritas, and toast bread (Iphone 5?) lol jk Don't take things too personal (unless you work for HTC)....just view the samples and judge for yourself. Even though I returned my EVO I'm pulling for you guys because I want HTC to address these issues promptly.

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the iPhone version was smoother but I will be totally honest here, it still did not look that good to me.

The Evo's problem seems to be the compression it is using. I do not think it is the camera or lens itself. I think if they can adjust the compression rate, use a faster SD card or capture in higher FPS's to smooth that out, it will look better than the iPhone footage. The color in the Evo footage was WAY better. The iPhones looked bleached out to me, kind of dull. Same with that other link. I am not impressed.

I am unsure if this would be simply different camera software to capture it or an OS patch.

I am being very open minded here, I think the Pre is better than both of those. i:Di

Either way the Evo's is still not bad as is and good enough for me but I bet with a fix it would be great, I really do.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
To be honest it wasn't a fair comparison between the EVO and iPhone 4. The video for the EVO was moving as the boat was moving and there was a lot of wind at the time. For the iPhone video, it was not following any boat, and the camera was mostly at a stand still. Unless they do the exact same video, it is not a fair comparison. He should of done the same still video to same which is better. To me, the EVO did not stutter when following the boat. I still want to see how the iPhone 4 handles moving objects.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
That great Iphone 4 720p must look great on that 3.4 or 3.5 inch screen. I forgot what the size of the iphones were since it's been years since the first came out, I don't think that they changed much over the years did they? And Im sure you can upload that great video you shoot to your social networks relatively fast with that AT&T (middle of the line) 3G (I forgot the Iphone doesn't have 4G). But hey, at least you apple boys got that nice resolution to look forward to...right?

There's also this new cool feature where you can hold down on the screen and the app icons start to shake. It's cool, cause it makes Iphone OS really customizable, or atleast a little more customize....no wait nevermind you can't really do anything with that Stock OS but building blocks are fun too.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Heck I purchased one of those Flip HD Video recorders and the "HD Quality" video looks pretty decent in a You Tube video or on a 19" screen.... When I plugged it directly to my 55" Samsung LED? Oh the quality dropped off big time... and that was hooking it up via HDMI..... the EVO records in "HD" but to expect the quality to be like a true HD video camera is crazy.

I also agree if your going to compare video they should have had two people holding the camera's at the exact same time recording in the same direction..

Also any video I make with my EVO is going to be short quick video.. couple of minutes MAX and not intended for the Big Silver Screen at your local Multiplex or even your 55" plasma, LCD or LED.... it's basically going to be some thing to throw on You Tube or post to Facebook because it was funny or what not. If I want to record a special event I will borrow a true Canon HD Video Camera from my dad (who owns a recording studio and is APPLE EVERY THING!!!! When I told him I got the EVO the next Monday he forwarded me the link to the iPhone 4 after Apple released it)

I think the problem is SOME people expect "Avatar" like video recording from a phone and that just isn't going to happen... By the time the quality of a camera phone is at what is currently considered true HD, True HD will be some thing way better....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
EVO is oversaturated....Iphone looks more accurate when it comes to coloring

You just need to go buy a HD video camera and/or just go get an iPhone...

My dad has a recording studio and does audio and video work and he is the same way... He can look at a video or listen to a song.... The video or song looks/sounds just fine to me (the average every day person) but he will nit pick it to death... Which is what your doing here.... These camera's are not intended for professional camera work....

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
just heard HTC is going to drop a patch for the screen sensitivity issues.....

that leaves the compression issue left and we got ourselves a top notch device

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it has pretty good video. And the iPhone video post looks the same to me, but I am watching it on my EVO. All I care about is that it is better than my previous phone, and that was a pre and it is.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just a reminder to please refrain from flaming one another and the trolling comments. If you feel like someone is violating the forum rules go ahead and report the post and let the mods decide how to proceed.

Thanks,

Cory

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a reminder to please refrain from flaming one another and the trolling comments. If you feel like someone is violating the forum rules go ahead and report the post and let the mods decide how to proceed.

Thanks,

Cory
I just reported you for double posting!

Besides the wind noise, the Evo did do well.
Infact, the colors and contrast on the Evo were superb... the Iphone looked a bit washed out.
Also, I wonder if the 30 fps cap affected this... I said it before, but I really think that could hinder some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674