Sd Card Real World Difference Between Classes.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
This was mentioned a lot before the release of the Evo but I haven't seen anything since.

I just found my keychain camera and it's class 4 card to replace the stock class 2.
So far I'm simply restoring the files but I have browsed the gallery some.
If anything the class4 seems slower.
I'm transferring movies back to the card through the Evo and the tranfer rate is approx. 1.4MB/s.

The card is a 8gb Sandisk bought at RS last year.

Anybody else?

-edit: It seems transferring more than one file at a time really slows it down.
Once one transfer completed the remaining increased to approx 6MB/s. The 1.4MB/s was two transfers combined.

Last edited:

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
You nearly can't trust what "class" they slap on the packaging. The SanDisk rating should be accurate though. Remember, a card that's faster generally uses more power.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I bought a 16 GB Class 4 card on amazon last week and love it and it's speed. I thought $25 more on a class 6 wasn't worth it.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Where the heck does my post keep going?

I tested both cars with that app in the same way for consistency, ran the test 3 times.
The class 2 card: 3mbs write, 6mbs read.
The class 4 card: 4mbs write, 13mbs read.

That explains the why copying the movies to the phone wasn't notably faster.
Doesn't explain the seemingly slower gallery performance.
I suppose that extra 1mbs could be useful for the camera. Better than nothing /:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I did test with the SD Card Speed Tester available in the market with my Adata 8GB Class 6. Got 8MB/s write and 13MB/s read.

That's about the same results I'm getting with the 16GB version of that card. I tested a lot of different cards (Various Kingston & Sandisk cards) and found this one to be the best of all in terms of read/write speeds. I did find that the Sandisk card did out perform it's class rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888