01-29-2013 07:06 PM
452 ... 16171819
tools
    does this really work??
    07-10-2011 11:23 AM
    Really?

I'm finding the exact opposite. My battery life is epic bad right now. I loaded a freshly charged battery from my wall charger at 6:45am - a couple email checks, and a glance at FB and I'm now sitting at 87% at 7:05am. Before GB, I wouldn't drop below 90% until mid morning. And should I play a little Cut the Rope or Stupid Zombies in the can, I can count on it dropping to the 50% range in a heartbeat.

Plus my Sense keeps glitching and i'm stuck with all the bloat.
    im right there with you. i just turned my phone on from charging over night, turned off, and 5 minutes later, 80(something)%
    07-10-2011 02:02 PM
    I am amazed at my battery life now. On a stock red HTC EVo battery i am getting 5 hours 49 minutes 33 seconds. i use to have to walk around with an Extended 3500 mah battery and 2 other red HTC evo battery's. The Gingerbread update has gave me a happier HTC Evo 4G. I just plugged it in the desk top charger to take the screenshot
    07-10-2011 09:22 PM
    I'm trying to consolidate battery life recommendations into a single thread, that weeds out the complaints and other side conversations that have occurred. Not that either are bad, but I'd like to make it easier for members to quickly find the explanations and tips they are looking for without having to read through pages of posts.

That said, I would like to solicit everyone's help

1. Please read through what I've written below. Feel free to PM me with any statements I've made that you feel are inaccurate. Again, please use private meyssaging to let me know.

2. If you have a *proven* battery saving tip based on personal experience, that you think would be helpful to someone reading this thread, please post it here. Include a detailed description of the tip and any supporting information as to why you believe it saves on battery life. If there are negative side affects or loss of functionality due to implementation of your tip, please list that as well.

Any posts that do not meet this criteria (questions or complaints about battery life) will be deleted. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to keep this thread Uclean and useful.

Thanks everyone!
    Thanks for the work, it's really appreciated.
    websterzx10r1 likes this.
    07-15-2011 09:14 AM
    What are your SetCPU settings??
    Can you post exactlly which verison of ROM, Kernel you use in order to save htc evo baater life
    07-20-2011 12:56 AM
    As soon as I got my EVO, I turned on 4G, GPS, Wi-Fi, and all mobile syncing options. In no time, I had my Exchange and Gmail accounts pushing contacts, calendars and email to the beautiful new device. Due to the fact that I have excellent 4G coverage in my area, I would sometimes turn off Wi-Fi, and bask in the glory that is 4G! Coming from the Pre, I was hoping for better battery life, even though the EVO does so much more. But, after reading that more than a few people were experiencing battery issues with their EVO's, I decided to look into the matter myself.

For several days, I used my EVO somewhat heavily, without any real battery-saving techniques in place. On average, I would get between 6 to 8 hours of moderate use before I got the 15% battery warning. To me, that was not too bad, but I wanted to see just how much extra life I could squeeze out of the battery, while still using all of the EVO's amazing features. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I could do just that. Using a simple approach to data usage, changing a few settings, and installing an app or two, I was able to get over 60 hours of light use from one charge! That's right, I unplugged my EVO at 8:21AM on Monday morning (6/14) and did not received the 15% battery warning until around 10PM Wednesday night (6/16). All the while, I was signed into AIM and Skype (with fring), using live wallpaper and widgets, using Gmail and Exchange push, and sending and receiving calls, IM's and texts. Needless to say, I was both shocked and elated.

The key to this astonishing turn-around lies in the answer to a simple question. "Where am I?" Or, more specifically, "Is there Wi-Fi where I am?" When it comes to connectivity, I now think of my EVO as having two distinct "modes". One mode is used when a Wi-Fi network is available, the other is used the rest of the time. Whenever I am at a location that has an available Wi-Fi network (which is most of the time), I force all data to use the Wi-Fi network exclusively. I do this by disabling mobile networking using HTC's Mobile Network widget, or the going to Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile network. I also turn off 4G and GPS, since they are not typically needed when I am connected via Wi-Fi. Overall, the EVO appears to use the least amount of power when data is sent/received exclusively over a Wi-Fi network. When a Wi-Fi network is not available, I turn off Wi-Fi, and turn on mobile networking. I also only turn on GPS and 4G as needed (Google Navigation, Sprint TV, You Tube HQ, etc.).

Below, is a detailed list of the settings that allowed my EVO to achieve the greatest increase in battery life while connected to a Wi-Fi network. These setting incorporate many of the battery-saving tips that you may have seen in other threads. Since battery life depends on a variety of factors, your results may very. If you spend a large amount of time at a location that has an available Wi-Fi network (work, home, etc.), you should see a notable increase in battery life using this approach. Let me know if any of these setting, or the general concept, was helpful to you.

1. Settings:
      1. Wireless & networks:
        • Airplane mode =unchecked
        • Wi-Fi =checked (if a Wi-Fi network is available)
        • Wi-Fi setting:
          • Wi-Fi = checked (if a Wi-Fi network is available)
          • Network notification = unchecked
          • Bluetooth = unchecked
          • Bluetooth Settings = unavailable when inactive
            (menu, then Advanced)
          • Advanced:
            • Wi-Fi sleep policy = Never
        • Sprint Hotspot = unchecked
        • 4G = unchecked (if a Wi-Fi network is available)
        • 4G Settings = unavailable when inactive
        • VPN Setting = no VPNs setup
        • Mobile network = unchecked (if a Wi-Fi network is available)
        • Mobile networks = all options checked
        • Internet sharing = unchecked
      2. Sound and display:
        • (Sound settings)
        • Sound profile = normal
        • RInger volume:
          • Incoming call volume = maximum
          • Use incoming call volume for notifications = unchecked
          • Notification volume = maximum
        • Phone vibrate = unchecked
        • Quiet ring on pickup = unchecked
        • Audible selection = unchecked
        • Haptic feedback = unchecked
        • SD card notifications = unchecked
        • (Display settings)
        • Orientation = checked
        • Animation = All animations
        • Brightness:
          • Automatic brightness = unchecked
          • slider at approximately 33% (set by Android Power Control widget)
        • Screen timeout = 1 minute
        • Notification flash = all options checked
      3. Accounts and sync:
        • (General sync settings)
        • Background data = checked
        • Auto-sync = checked
          (Manage accounts)
        • Exchange ActiveSync (1 account):
          • (General setting)
          • Account settings:
            • (General setting)
            • Sync when roaming = unchecked
              (Mail setting) = default options
              (Calendar settings)
            • Sync events for past = 2 weeks

(Data and synchronization)
          • Schedule = as items arrive
          • Mail = checked
          • Contacts =checked
          • Calendar =checked
        • Google (active for 1 account):
          • Sync calendar =checked
          • Sync contacts =checked
          • Sync Gmail =checked
        • News = inactive
        • Stocks = inactive
        • Weather:
          • (General setting)
          • Account settings:
            • Update schedule = once a day

(Data and synchronization)
          • Sync weather = checked
      4. Location:
        • (My location)
        • Use wireless networks = checked
        • Location setting = ON
        • Use GPS satellites = unchecked
    2. Wallpaper:
      • Live wallpapers:
        • HTC Sense
    3. Installed applications/widgets:
      1. "Advance Task Killer" by ReChild:
        • Settings:
          • (Startup)
          • Auto Start = checked
            (View)
          • Show Notification = unchecked
            (Ignore List)
          • GMail
          • Internet
          • Advanced Task Killer
          • Maps
          • Gauge Battery Widget
          • fring
            (Auto Kill)
          • Auto Kill Level = Aggressive
          • Auto Kill Frequency = When screen off
            (Security)
          • Security Level = High
      2. "OverclockWidget" by Billy Cui (requires root privileges via unrevoked, etc.):
        • Min = 245000
        • Max = 998400
        • Advanced Settings:
          • Differ Freq Screen Off = checked (This will under-clock the EVO's CPU when the screen is off)
            (Screen Off Freq Setting)
          • Min: 245000
          • Max: 245000
            (Advanced Setting)
          • Suppress Notification = unchecked
          • Use your frequencies = unchecked
            (Operation)
          • Auto start on boot = checked
            * * * YOU MUST CLICK SAVE BUTTON * * *
      3. "Network" by Philipp Mangelow
        • Set preferred network type = CDMA auto (PRL) (If set to GSM, your EVO will constantly search for a signal)
      4. "Gauge Battery Widget Beta" by Tomas Hubalek*(nice-looking analog dial for monitoring battery life)
      5. fring: (This app does not help your battery life, but it has been running in the background throughout my testing )
        • Settings:
          • Automatic Startup = checked
        • Add-ons:
          • Address Book = checked
          • Skype = checked
          • AIM = checked
    what your take on running juicedefender with atk
    08-02-2011 01:23 PM
    didn't read through 44 pages so sorry if this is a repeat..

spend ten bucks and get two extra batteries, forget about slowing the performance of your phone.

2 x NEW BATTERY + Dock charger 4 HTC Evo 4G TOUCH PRO 2 | eBay

got mine from china a year ago and works like a charm.
    08-04-2011 09:58 PM
    [HLI-A7373XL] Buy Mugen Power 3600mAh Extended Battery for Sprint HTC EVO Shift 4G with Battery Door

[HLI-A9292XL] Buy 3200mAh Mugen Power Extended Battery for HTC EVO 4G with Battery Door

Call me overly simple, but I think a huge battery may trump OS tweaks. Sledge hammer style, I know. Links above to the Mugen 3200mAh and 3600 mAh batteries with door accessories. I'm sure there are other vendors, but I've had success with the Mugen lines. I had similar battery life issues with the Atrix 4G and Mugen generously came up with a 4800mAh battery to fix that. Rather than 30 hours of minimal usage taking the OEM battery to 1% or 10 hours of moderate usage (on the Atrix), I now get about 72 hours with moderate usage and multitasking. It is worth carrying a brick, in my humble opinion.

After the battery considerations comes which case with which to cover your phone. I'm a personal fan of the Otterbox series, but these do not accommodate the larger batteries. However, they can be modified to do so.

[HLI-MB860XL] Buy Mugen Power 4800mAh Extended Battery for Motorola ATRIX 4G with Battery Door

Photos attached. Hope this maintains the spirit of the thread.
    08-04-2011 11:44 PM
    I bought an extended battery, and all of my problems went away until i updated to gingerbread. Even with an extended battery, I cannot make it through more than ten hours without charging my phone. Before I would be at 60 percent after ten ours. Damn you gingerbread!
    08-17-2011 02:46 PM
    This thread will supersede this thread and this thread, both of which were formerly stickied. I'm trying to consolidate battery life recommendations into a single thread, that weeds out the complaints and other side conversations that have occurred. Not that either are bad, but I'd like to make it easier for members to quickly find the explanations and tips they are looking for without having to read through pages of posts.

That said, I would like to solicit everyone's help

1. Please read through what I've written below. Feel free to PM me with any statements I've made that you feel are inaccurate. Again, please use private messaging to let me know.

2. If you have a *proven* battery saving tip based on personal experience, that you think would be helpful to someone reading this thread, please post it here. Include a detailed description of the tip and any supporting information as to why you believe it saves on battery life. If there are negative side affects or loss of functionality due to implementation of your tip, please list that as well.

Any posts that do not meet this criteria (questions or complaints about battery life) will be deleted. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to keep this thread clean and useful.

Thanks everyone!
    Hi Corey,

I'm a newbie as you can see so bear with me. Thank you so much for your insite. For those who are reading this as well, thank you too for your insite on the battery issues. It's nice to see people giving advice and being helpful, I greatly appreciate it. With that being, said I'd like to share my experience. I'll try to keep it short. I feel a phone with so many features should come with a battery that can withstand all the phones features but we don't live in a perfect world lol. So I recently got into Angry Birds (original, seasons, n rio), PowerAmp, AK notepad, Cloud Print, HistoryEraser, Lookout, Yahoo! Mail, and Sprint TEP. I'm not rooted and I always turn my EVO off at night when charging. The stock battery did drain quickly especially in certain classrooms at my college and the basement at my job. I live in NYC and I generally get great coverage so I agree about making sure to check the coverage in ones' area. After going thru soooo many forums I decided to try out Laza extended 3500 battery with door and case. Now I followed the instructions about conditoning the battery and I also read in the Amazon comments that it's best to give the 3500 battery a full 12hour charge as soon as you get it. The instructions tell you to power cycle the battery at least 5 times. I was leary about the phone being bulky but much to my surprise its tolerable, not that bad. The case is nice and sturdy rubber that comes in nice colors (mines is pink lol) and the door is nice too, feels like the stock door and better protection for camers lens and still have access to the kickstand. It'll be 3wks this Monday since having this battery and I must say it's been an improvement. I'm very sceptical when it comes to my electronics, I'm a semi tech girl lol (at least I like to think lol stop laughing at me haha) and I try to handle my electronics with care and I try to keep in mind that it's a cell phone. The more you do the more power you drain from the battery. I tell my son to always turn his Blckbrry off b4 going 2 sleep n charge it. (If there's an emergency close friends and family can call the land line). I find with the stock battery and the extended Laza 3500 battery, turning the phone off to charge while sleeping gives you more longevity. I only have 4G on, I rarley use the wifi, haven't explored that yet, I'm still learning other things about the phone. Btw, I'm quite sure evry1 knows about the new update 4.5.4(something like that). Here's a tip I think may be helpful. B4 the Gingerbread update, again I read thru a slew of forums. At least 15 people did this procedure and had no issues like ghost notifications and other bugs.
    1. Of course back everything up just in case, google account, etc. etc. No need to remove SD card cause it is not affected.
    2. Factory reset
    3. Procede with software update
    4. Factory reset again
    5. Login 2 Google account. Contacts are back in phone etc. etc.

Now I know some may know this already, but this is for those who don't and think it may help. Corey and my fellow Androids, thank you for helping me with suggestions and thank you 4 taking the time to read my post. I hope my lil input has helped some1 out there
    08-27-2011 01:01 PM
    Ok I admit (I'm guilty of not searching before posting), but it may help some people with battery life.

I downloaded Battery Calibration from the Market https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result which does basically the same thing that these two posts do, but a little easier:

1. HOW TO: Wipe Battery stats to improve battery life [Archive] - xda-developers
    2. xda-developers - View Single Post - Battery Calibration

I should also mention I caved and bought the extended battery 3500mAh but I didn’t like how bulky it made the phone so I went back to the original battery and tried these methods. I'm keeping the extended one for road trips and such where charging just isn't an option.
    This is what I've done, and so far so good, but from everything I've read online you have to charge/discharge a few times in order to get optimal battery life. (Just what I've read, don't shoot the messenger...pls):

• Running Synergy-Kingdom Nightly 82511
    • flashed custom kernel freedom (More freedom-Universal) - I chose this kernel because it allows for under clocking as well as over clocking and works with Sense
    • Downloaded Battery Calibration from Market
    • Installed SetCPU - Added Profiles for stages of charging and discharging as well as for temperature.

The combination of the list above has made for some "above average battery life". Please note that when setting up Profiles in SetCPU that you don't over clock too much for some stages of discharging because it WILL eat up battery quickly. Keep it simple and realistic.
    08-31-2011 03:58 PM
    Battery life. It’s one of the most discussed topics in the EVO forums. Most members would agree that battery life on this phone is not stellar. Is it result of defective hardware, the OS, network connectivity, Sense UI, or other 3rd party apps? Instinctively (particularly if you’re new to the world of Smartphone’s) the rapid depletion in battery life - even with light to moderate usage - might lead you to believe the EVO has major problems in this area and HTC had better do something to fix it.

I’m of the belief that there are always areas of improvements in how each of the above variables affects battery life. For example, there could be future ROM update that enhances OS efficiency, task management, or the UI HTC's provided via Sense. But truth be told the real culprit is that battery technology and capacity have not evolved as rapidly as the power and functionality in Smartphone’s like the EVO.

Cars are very similar. I own an Audi S4. It has a powerful 352HP V8 engine. I absolutely love the extra power this car provides. It’s fun to drive, and provides all the features I’m looking for in a car. However, the 352HP engine comes at a price. It sucks gas like nobody’s business (I rarely drive it anyway), and like the EVO requires a source of energy to function. The S4’s source of energy is stored in a 14-gallon gas tank in the rear of the car. If I push the car to it’s full potential – I get approximately 10 miles per gallon. My buddy owns an A4 and his 4 cylinder engine averages twice the number of miles per gallon, and has the same size gas tank. Smartphone’s aren’t any different. The battery in the HTC Ozone and the battery in the EVO are exactly the same in terms of capacity. They both provide 1500 mAh’s of energy. However there are distinct differences in screen size, processor power, network types, features, etc… Having used both, I can tell you the battery life was the least of my complaints on the Ozone.

That said here are some of the most common items (based on my unscientific tests of various Smartphone’s) that are the highest consumers of battery life. Most are manageable from a user perspective, some are not. I’ve left out the most obvious one of all – extended voice call activity. Just remember there is a trade off between performance/features and the amount of power you’re willing to devote to each.

- 4G (worse than 3G) and 3G connectivity/activity by streaming audio/video apps, web browsing, instant messaging apps, and apps that poll the network at regular intervals for updates (Facebook, RSS readers, Friendstream, etc).

3G: See those little white arrows at the top of your screen? When they are light grey in color, network utilization is zero. Contrary, when they are solid white, network usage is occurring. If they are constantly white (as they would be when streaming radio for example) battery consumption is at it’s highest.

4G: The first day I got my hands on an EVO, I immediately turned on the 4G radio. After all, this was one of the EVO’s main selling points. 3 hours after a full charge, my battery was toast, and I hadn’t even browsed the web yet. I was really disappointed that I was required to manage this radio and only use it when absolutely necessary, but that’s the reality of 4G technology.

- Bright backlight settings: The EVO has a massive 4.3” LCD screen. Regardless of backlight settings, the screen is still a major power consumer. Having said that, slight changes in backlight settings can make a dramatic difference in battery consumption. I would recommend avoiding the very brightest setting. My preferred setting is to let Android manage screen brightness, while others have manually enforced a constant low to medium brightness level. The latter will have the greatest positive affect on battery life.

- High CPU, backlight, and network usage by graphics intensive and/or poorly written applications: Graphics intensive programs often consume large amounts of CPU power and RAM, which translates into high battery consumption. Combine this with a network intensive streaming media application (e.g., Sprint TV, Pandora, or similar apps); the EVO is sucking the life out its battery at an extremely high rate (remember it only has 1,500mAh per charge available at best). Applications that were not designed for the EVO or are buggy in nature might causing the EVO’s CPU to be working excessively hard. If your EVO is warm to the touch and running particularly slow, there’s a good chance a 3rd party app is the culprit.

- Bluetooth: Bluetooth sucks down power. I’ve experienced this on every phone I’ve ever used. The EVO is no exception. Turn it off when not in use.

- GPS: Like Bluetooth, it consume large amounts of energy while updating coordinates and communicating with satellites orbiting the earth. Combined with turn-by-turn directions and an always-on backlight, in order to see the maps guiding your way, you’re pushing battery consumption to the limits. I often read posts from people who are using the EVO as a full time GPS device in the car. One common complaint from these users is that USB chargers are only maintaining the current battery level – or worse – when GPS is in use. Since the EVO limits USB host connections to 500mAh of power input, this is a good indicator of how much GPS consumes. In other words, 500mAh of continuous power to the EVO is not enough to charge and take advantage of GPS/turn by turn directions at the same time.

- Signal Strength: Whether 3G, 4G, or WiFi, week signal strength can affect battery life.

- CPU/Memory: I often read posts from members who have most of the above features disabled. Yet they still report warm to the touch EVO’s and unusually poor battery life (3-4 hours per charge). In my experience, this is usually caused by 3rd party CPU intensive applications. Many people reach for the nearest task manager. Others can’t imagine which application they’ve installed that would cause such an issue. Regardless, if you reach to other forum members for assistance, please provide the following information that varies from the out of box configuration of the phone:

o Task managers in use (I believe these cause more harm than good – but there’s a totally different sticky devoted to that).
    o A list of all 3rd party applications (including battery percentage widgets & instant messaging applications)
    o Update frequency settings for each application in settings > accounts & sync.
    o Detailed information from settings > about phone > battery use
    o GTalk auto sign in settings
    o 4G use
    o 3G data arrow activity (frequent solid white arrows?)
    o Email configuration (update frequency for Exchange, IMAP, Gmail, POP)
    o Type of charger being used (OEM vs. 3rd party) & input/output specs.
    o HTC Widgets in use.

The best but least practical solution to battery consumption is to disable every single feature possible that this phone has to offer. My recommendation is to find a balance that works best for you and come to the terms that the attributes that make the EVO the best converged device available requires increased energy & negatively impacts battery life. This amount of energy available in a fully charged OEM battery is 1,500mAh. This is not a design flaw. Instead, it’s the reality of battery technology competing against consumers demand for bigger, faster, and more feature rich devices.
    Thanks Cory for all the work you put into this.
    09-12-2011 07:33 AM
    Just get a $6 3500mah battery from amazon turn the brightness down so you can see it and your good make sure when you but the battery you put a peice of paper between the space of the EVO and the battery because it doesn't fix exact like the stock battery
    09-16-2011 04:23 PM
    Mine fits fine without this piece of paper.
    09-16-2011 05:11 PM
    I wish I knew why mine last days sometimes with full use (well days in EVO) time, I'm on my 3rd EVO and this phone was supposed to go to a high end engineer or something, FACT*** all EVOs have a host access point meaning someone else can access and remove, add data anywhere, few phones can actually obtain it. Anyways Google owns Android and I bet theyd love to tell you their twisted story on why your battery sucks, its not the battery though. Look through your system files, beware, my phone was made on 8/10/11 and I can't believe this **** is legal, your phone can be accessed thru remotes or even Wireless USB, the latest and greatest, capable of wireless charging, I've seen it happen in front of my eyes through the emulator many times
    09-19-2011 12:17 AM
    I bought an extended battery, and all of my problems went away until i updated to gingerbread. Even with an extended battery, I cannot make it through more than ten hours without charging my phone. Before I would be at 60 percent after ten ours. Damn you gingerbread!
    I'm running GB 2.3.5 with an extended battery and can get 24hrs with heavy usage, or 48hrs with moderate. It's not GB; it's a user setting somewhere. I have a Platinum Series (Seido) 3500mAh battery from BB. $75.00 including tax. I wish I'd bought this battery a long time ago.
    09-19-2011 06:38 AM
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. Currently my phone runs on most recent CM7 rom with an extended battery I got as a gift bought at the SprintStore. I would've gotten the Seido one instead but too late. I get through the day with pretty heavy usage. Currently im trying this out to see if my battery holds out from an article I read about li-ion batteries. I let my phone partially drain & giving it a charge to create a digital memory on it unlike niCAD batteries that have a charge memory. From what I know the battery cant be drained completely since each cell must be charged to a certain voltage. But its mentioned that its good to let it almost drain completely not fully to gain back the accuracy of the battery gauge since it loses accuracy over time. Ive also used setCPU to set up a profile & it saves some juice.

Article:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fiv...ttery-life/289
    09-24-2011 03:37 PM
    im right there with you. i just turned my phone on from charging over night, turned off, and 5 minutes later, 80(something)%
    I agree. I've certainly noticed a significant drop in battery life since the last software update pushed out, along with my wife's EVO and two other friends. Over the summer, we were all really enjoying the EVO and I've loved it for over a year now, but the past couple of weeks since the update has been noticeably bad. I spoke with Sprint technical and they said "it's a known issue with the EVO" but there isn't much they can do until Google/HTC pushes out a fix. They said they could revert me back to prior software, as they've also done on one of the LG's. None of us are rooted, we all run our phones pretty lean and don't use 4G or GPS, so nothing has changed except the software update that brought on the battery issues. It sucks cause I had been loving mine and am not really interested in making a change for a while.
    12-01-2011 01:57 PM
    I have experimented with "battery conditioning," "topping off" and changing wall chargers. Here is what I have determined through a process of elimination. First, I should say that everyone's EVO 4G is different due to downloaded apps and other configuration elements. Everyone's solution may also vary but I believe my findings will apply to a broad range of users.

Many users have experienced a rapid drop in battery charge within the first 10 - 20 minutes of taking their phones off the wall charger - this seems to occur primarily when the phone is left on the charger overnight. As a result, many users start their day with anywhere from a 10% to a 20% battery handicap.

It is undeniable that the phone and wall charger work in such a way that when the phone reaches 100% charge, the phone goes onto battery use with no trickle charge at all. Your phone is running on battery. The drop of 10% - 20% in the first 10 - 20 minutes is not actually a drop; rather, it appears this is the phone going to the true battery charge that was initially misreported.

"Topping Off" works to a limited extent, especially if the phone is removed from the charger just as soon as the led goes green. I strongly suspect the same is true of the original charging session; that is, if the phone is removed from the charger just as soon as the led goes green. (hard to do if you're asleep)

I also suspect that what is described as "battery conditioning" also works because the phone is removed from the charger just as soon as the led goes green.

The last item I looked into was the wall charger itself. I read a post by someone (I wish I had noted the name so I could give credit) who suggested these problems seem to go away when you stop using the OEM HTC wall charger. Like me, that user also had some Palm Pre wall chargers that he used. In my case, I also have some cheap aftermarket Chinese wall chargers. Using a process of elimination I have confirmed to my own satisfaction that when using the OEM HTC wall charger this initial drop in battery during the first 10 - 20 minutes is the most pronounced. When I used either my Palm Pre or the cheap aftermarket wall chargers, the problem was entirely eliminated. I strongly believe that HTC has a problem it should address with its OEM wall charger. Ironically, you can buy inexpensive aftermarket wall chargers for less than $10 that will cure this problem.

I now reserve that cable for PC connection and no longer use it for charging my phone.
    12-31-2011 09:05 PM
    Ok, I've not gone through all 45 pages so sorry if I'm repeating something from page 10. I've found two different ways to get GREAT battery life from my Evo!

1. I downloaded Juice Defender Ultimate (yes,.I forked out 5 bucks) & got incredible results. I typically work a 10-12 hour day, & have traditionally had to keep a charger next to my desk for periodic daily use. However, after installing Juice Defender, I am no longer married to my charger. In the past, my battery would die before I left work, if left uncharged... but no longer! For instance, the other day I pulled my phone off the charger & used my phone heavy before work. When I finally arrived, I was at 85% (previously, the kiss of death). By the time I left work, my battery was at 61% (no charging). I drove home &, after light charging on the car, my battery was at 65%. I tinkered all night with my phone & finally went to bed at 12am & my battery was at about 40%. I FORGOT TO PUT MY PHONE ON THE CHARGER & woke up at 430am, & found my phone at about 35%! By the way, I was constantly running live wallpaper, but I typically keep 4g turned off (although JD will manage th is, also). Here is why this works: Juice Defender shuts off my Network radios while the screen is off. I use the advanced setting & have JD turn my radios on every 30 minutes so that my apps & widgets can update. I never thought I could get this good of results from a simple app!

2. If you are rooted & flash rooms & can live without Wimax, MIUI has very similar battery life to what I described above. Honestly, I'm not sure why... my guess is that they've built similar radio management features into the ROM, but that's just speculation.

Finally, I'm currently running the latest official build of Cyanogen Mod 7. However, my wife has an unrooted Evo Shift & she is also getting great results from Juice Defender.
    01-06-2012 12:13 PM
    I have experimented with "battery conditioning," "topping off" and changing wall chargers. Here is what I have determined through a process of elimination. First, I should say that everyone's EVO 4G is different due to downloaded apps and other configuration elements. Everyone's solution may also vary but I believe my findings will apply to a broad range of users.

Many users have experienced a rapid drop in battery charge within the first 10 - 20 minutes of taking their phones off the wall charger - this seems to occur primarily when the phone is left on the charger overnight. As a result, many users start their day with anywhere from a 10% to a 20% battery handicap.

It is undeniable that the phone and wall charger work in such a way that when the phone reaches 100% charge, the phone goes onto battery use with no trickle charge at all. Your phone is running on battery. The drop of 10% - 20% in the first 10 - 20 minutes is not actually a drop; rather, it appears this is the phone going to the true battery charge that was initially misreported.

"Topping Off" works to a limited extent, especially if the phone is removed from the charger just as soon as the led goes green. I strongly suspect the same is true of the original charging session; that is, if the phone is removed from the charger just as soon as the led goes green. (hard to do if you're asleep)

I also suspect that what is described as "battery conditioning" also works because the phone is removed from the charger just as soon as the led goes green.

The last item I looked into was the wall charger itself. I read a post by someone (I wish I had noted the name so I could give credit) who suggested these problems seem to go away when you stop using the OEM HTC wall charger. Like me, that user also had some Palm Pre wall chargers that he used. In my case, I also have some cheap aftermarket Chinese wall chargers. Using a process of elimination I have confirmed to my own satisfaction that when using the OEM HTC wall charger this initial drop in battery during the first 10 - 20 minutes is the most pronounced. When I used either my Palm Pre or the cheap aftermarket wall chargers, the problem was entirely eliminated. I strongly believe that HTC has a problem it should address with its OEM wall charger. Ironically, you can buy inexpensive aftermarket wall chargers for less than $10 that will cure this problem.

I now reserve that cable for PC connection and no longer use it for charging my phone.
    I have the same drain, but I had only noticed it yesterday & today, but now I understand why... I switched from my old reliable Palm Pre charger & used a Samsung charger two nights age. Funny, my battery dropped from 100% to 82% right away & then stopped. At 82% I get normal battery drain... I'm going back to my palm charger! Thanks!
    01-06-2012 12:22 PM
    My Evo is running mikg 3.0 + 2.1, which would be the newest version, along with LauncherPro and the aggressive Freedom kernel.

I have noticed that when my phone is idle, like right now, the battery life is good. It barely moves, which is to be somewhat expected. Overnight, it drops maybe 6 or 7%. However, when I use it, it literally falls at 1%/minute. Is that normal? I sat on the toilet earlier at work and fiddled with my phone, mostly just sending texts, and in 20 minutes of messing around, I literally lost 20%+ in battery. When I look at my battery report, I'd say a good (80%) is taken up by the screen. Is that normal? I run the automatic bright/dim for my screen.

I'm thinking obviously my screen has a lot to do with this, but I'm jarred by the crazy way the battery level drops when I use the thing, vs. when its idle. Anyone have any advice, thoughts?
    01-12-2012 03:06 PM
    No, it shouldn't drain at 1% a minute. I've been constantly browsing with mine for at least the last half an hour (while running live wallpaper) & I'm at 90%. While I do use some battery saving techniques (see above), those are primarily designed to help while the phone sleeps, not so much while browsing. Are you using 4g? That will drain the battery pretty fast. Of course, I'm using CM7 ROM, so part of the difference could be the roms.
    01-14-2012 11:26 AM
    awesome post, very in depth!
    01-25-2012 11:36 PM
    Great Post! I just wanted to add two more major battery suckers. Both the HTC weather/ time widget and live wallpapers. Im still a sucker for the HTC Weather/time widget. Theres a running joke between me and my husband ( who both have the Evo 4g). If theres not a power source somewhere..I wont go. No, the phone just stays at home!
    07-25-2012 05:53 PM
452 ... 16171819
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD