New EVO Battery Life Sticky: Please Contribute

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I tested with the Always on Mobile thing turned off and was getting sporatic network error messages. Since turned back on, I never got it again.

I had sporatic battery life and made some tweaks yesterday and am at like 21hrs now at 17%. Used the phone a decent amount too

I dont know much about this phone yet, but here is what I see. Does Sense group a bunch of apps together rather then breaking them out? I have a friend on a Nexus and said his looks totally different and shows more

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
What does it mean when your Android System power usage is so high? I just exchanged my first Evo (had the light leak) and it was having battery problems (~6-8 hours per charge). I am curious what the new Evo will be like. They also had new build version (0002 vs 0003).

schultepk

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I was roofing all day so was not using my phone at all, I let it lay in my room. I come back and its under 5%. I used it for 35 minutes over lunch, otherwise, it sat dormant. Could it be because low wifi, wifi is low in my room, I took this picture right next to my computer so signal was high, and the fact that I'm roaming as well?

snapshot.png

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Could it be because low wifi, wifi is low in my room, I took this picture right next to my computer so signal was high, and the fact that I'm roaming as well?

I'm 99% sure that's it. Turn WiFi off if you have a low signal and aren't using it.

You're cell standby is high because of low signal/roaming it looks like, and then on top of that you've doubled it with the WiFi that you're not using.

If you had Wifi off, you probably would have another 3 - 4 hours additional charge easily.

evo be me

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
** (New) Battery Saving Tips **

i've just found some battery-saving tips from the evo forum on sprint.com

#1. if you had set up gmail acct on your evo, then most likely you'll have google chat enabled. this would be the "Talk" program under your application menu. to save some battery, go into the menu->more of "Talk" and disable the "Automatically sign in" by unchecking that option. next step is to sign out by using the sign out option in Talk menu, rather than exiting the program by hitting the Home or Back button.

#2. why auto-sync when the phone is asleep or application is not in use? so, turn off the "Auto-sync" feature in "Accounts & sync" option in Settings. depending on the applications, some will auto-refresh when you actually start using the application or you may need to click the refresh button.

i'm about to see if these settings will make a difference the next couple of days. if you plan on using these tips, please share if you're getting better battery results!!

Reactions: DSPKweb

anon(26928)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have sync disabled for everything but mail and weather with default intervals. I have talk enabled for my phone and have never experienced excessive battery drain with it enabled.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
well i got decent batt life again yesterday, but i didnt use it much.
My Android use was %96 or so again.
i did a hard reset and started from scratch again to see how it goes with no apps installed.
i think the high Android is from normal OS stuff not included in the radios maybe. I dunno. I didnt install anything yet and my Android is %94 again on a fresh image.

Only thing I syn is Weather and Email and facebook every 2 -4 hrs maybe.

Its the %90+ on the Android system part that bugs me. I wish someone truly had an answer why it does that. lots of speculations like mine is that it is just counting for the % unused by other stuff.

Im curious on what the partial wake time and awake time stuff means.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
@Cory Streater: Maybe this is just nit picking, but 500 mAh is a unit of charge, not power. (Current x time = charge, i.e. number of electrons sent to the battery.) The specification for USB 2.0 power is 5 Volts at a maximum of 500 mA (not mAh.) Note that 500 mA = 0.5 Amp, and 0.5 Amps x 5 volts = 2.5 Watts which is a unit of power.

With a 1500 mAh battery, a USB 2.0 connection could charge it in 1500 mAh / 500 mA = 3 hours if the phone were off (i.e. not consuming any current.) (There are other factors but let's not go there, just take 3 hours as a representative figure.)

Also 1500 mAh of battery capacity is a unit of charge, not energy. Multiply this charge by the battery voltage (nominally 3.7 Volts) and you get 5500 milliwatt hours = 5.5 watt hours of stored energy in the battery.

What you wrote would be accurate if you changed "500 mAh" to "500 mA," changed "power" to "current," and changed "energy" to "charge."

Back to topic, I found that the charging procedure mentioned in this post worked very well for me.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i did a hard reset yesterday and essentially have it with no 3rd party apps right now and its working better as far as I can see.
im at like 20hrs and got like 40% batt left.
This is heavy texting, few 30-40min phone calls, few emails and some web surfing on 3g.
Android system is more like %10 now instead of %94-96% so that makes me feel better.

Guess ill start adding apps one at a time back to see what the problem was.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I was roofing all day so was not using my phone at all, I let it lay in my room. I come back and its under 5%. I used it for 35 minutes over lunch, otherwise, it sat dormant. Could it be because low wifi, wifi is low in my room, I took this picture right next to my computer so signal was high, and the fact that I'm roaming as well?

snapshot.png

Can you please tell me what app this is?

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
just plugged in after 5.5 hrs really heavy use today. talked with friend, grooveshark playing, reading news feeds over and over. plugged in with indicator yellow. that's not bad, very practical, 5 hrs between charging

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm just destined not to get much life out of my battery. I've optimized all settings, just use the browser and text too much I imagine. I use it more like a laptop than a phone.

Wifi is off in this picture because I had just gotten back to the house.

batteryuse.png

8 hrs is awesome battery life.
very practical. that's 500 miles on one battery. put an extra battery in your pocket and go from the great lakes to florida without plugging in

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Using a universal battery charger vs. charging it in the Evo Im getting no trickle down charge with 100 full capacity in 1 hour of minimal usage. Before my battery when charged in the Evo would go from 100 to 90 in 10 minutes. I have lasted a full hour with it staying at 100 with no trickle down effect when using the universal battery charger.

evp4gbatterycharger.jpg

snap20100627_102706.png

Tekka

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I am constantly on my phone, while I dont make a lot of calls I do text a ton. I also run a lot of widgets. Engadget, News, Calender, e-mail, photo and a few others. I'll also add that my phone is in a constant state of roaming during my work day. I have not rooted my Evo for fear of ruining it. However I have used a few of the tricks that have been posted in other battery treads. I run OATK set at aggressive with the frequency set to screen off. My fav apps to use during the day are Black Jack, TV.com, and Youtube HQ. I also run 4G as I live in the DMV area and its alive and fast.

snap20100626_100417.png

Last edited:

omogata

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The first week of ownership, my EVO's battery totally sucked. Then I turned off the always-on network (3G radio) and it did not suck. However, my phone became susceptible to frequent and random reboots.

I did a did a factory reset of the phone. Turned off the 3G radio (again) and reinstalled most of my apps. Since then, my phone has been stable and I get a day and a half to two days of battery life before I have to recharge with moderate use.

IMO, this is pretty good battery life but I also have to wonder if the factory blundered with the out-of-box configuration.

P.S. FWIW... I find that having the calendar set to sync Facebook contacts really increases the load on syncing. I don't want my Facebook contacts synced with my Google calendar anyway. It gets quite confusing so I turned that off. Still more battery life after that.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Good stuff. Same here...getting great life out of my battery as well....posted screen shot just earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar