New EVO Battery Life Sticky: Please Contribute

longbow

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I get about 8-10 hours out of my battery. Don't use wifi or 4g. I do use bluetooth. About 90 mins of phone calls a day, 20-30 texts, read my emails several times a day. Got email set for checking every 30 mins. Battery life sucks for me.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I get about 8-10 hours out of my battery. Don't use wifi or 4g. I do use bluetooth. About 90 mins of phone calls a day, 20-30 texts, read my emails several times a day. Got email set for checking every 30 mins. Battery life sucks for me.

Ditto...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys check out my guide to increasing battery life on a stock rooted phone using SetCPU + Perflock Disabler http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...erflock-disabler-save-battery-underclock.html

I have to echo SetCPU. It requires a rooted phone, but unrevoked 3 works just fine, and is no more complicated than installing an app.

Prior to installing this, the best battery life I ever got was 15-16 hours. 12 hours was typical. Right now, I've been unplugged for 15 hrs 33 minutes, and am at 47% battery left.

Norwester

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My battery life tanked after the update and all the cures/fixs/hard resets were to no avail. Finally started deleting widgets last night and now believe that the "Battery Left" widget was the problem. Off the charger all night and rather than being almost dead I only lost 2% and after browsing,DLing apps,etc another 2%. I re-installed the widget and within just a couple minutes of start up was down 6-8%. It might be worth the time to check your widgets.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My battery life tanked after the update and all the cures/fixs/hard resets were to no avail. Finally started deleting widgets last night and now believe that the "Battery Left" widget was the problem. Off the charger all night and rather than being almost dead I only lost 2% and after browsing,DLing apps,etc another 2%. I re-installed the widget and within just a couple minutes of start up was down 6-8%. It might be worth the time to check your widgets.

Yeah, I've had bad experiences with battery monitors. When I used one called "BatteryTime Lite" (on 2.1), it'd drain my battery in about 2 to 2.5 hours.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Im having horrible battery life after the update... and i also thought it was the battery left widget... so i wiped the phone back to stock.. and guess what... same issues... Uptime/Awake time the same. But I have no apps installed... not one. So for once i get to see the arguement about the android monitoring itself is not correct... there are no other apps. This leaves me only with the possibility its friendstream.. yet that hasnt sync since 1:15 this morning. ... still testing.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I placed my evo to not turn off the screen and i opened up running services and just watched the display. It appears every 15 to 20 seconds are so Maps opens up (Process: locationfriendservice)

mfeigley

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I placed my evo to not turn off the screen and i opened up running services and just watched the display. It appears every 15 to 20 seconds are so Maps opens up (Process: locationfriendservice)

Is latitude enabled. If so go into maps and remove turn off latitude. That caused my battery drain.

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Im having horrible battery life after the update... and i also thought it was the battery left widget... so i wiped the phone back to stock.. and guess what... same issues... Uptime/Awake time the same. But I have no apps installed... not one. So for once i get to see the arguement about the android monitoring itself is not correct... there are no other apps. This leaves me only with the possibility its friendstream.. yet that hasnt sync since 1:15 this morning. ... still testing.

Also having dismal battery life since the update. Unplugged yesterday at 7 a.m. and plugged in at 10:30. last night with battery at 42%. Light to Moderate day of a few phone calls, 25 or so texts, 15-20 minutes web browsing...AND downloaded and installed Froyo last night using 3G. Today, took off charger at 7:00 again, now am at 52% battery - 10 text messages, no phone calls, 3 or so minutes web browsing, and re-downloaded Swype. Checked my settings and all appear to be the same. No weird apps running that I can see. Ideas?!?!?!?! This is really aggravating. My battery life has been outstanding until this update.

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Also having dismal battery life since the update. Unplugged yesterday at 7 a.m. and plugged in at 10:30. last night with battery at 42%. Light to Moderate day of a few phone calls, 25 or so texts, 15-20 minutes web browsing...AND downloaded and installed Froyo last night using 3G. Today, took off charger at 7:00 again, now am at 52% battery - 10 text messages, no phone calls, 3 or so minutes web browsing, and re-downloaded Swype. Checked my settings and all appear to be the same. No weird apps running that I can see. Ideas?!?!?!?! This is really aggravating. My battery life has been outstanding until this update.

It appears I'm having the same results unfortunately. My phone was at 100% this morning when I took it off the charger. I even took it off browsed a bit, plugged it back up got ready for work and unplugged when it had a green light at 100%.

2 hours later with very light usage it's at 68%. Prior to the 2.2 update I'd usually be at 70% after a 9 hour work day. It's looking like I won't make it a full 9 hour work day now.

I also noticed since the update my awake time is 100%. I've checked "partial wake usage" and nothing seems out of line.

Kind of frustrating. I'm going to keep tracking it down and looking into things though.

flipdippy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm in the reverse minority.

My battery life was abysmal before upgrading to Froyo - I would get around 6-7 hours with minimal/light usage, and 4-5 hours with heavy usage. This was regardless of what widgets were enabled/disabled, what task killer I used, and what sync settings I had (and I had pretty much disabled or set to the least frequent settings for everything).

Post upgrade, after tweaking all the sync and auto launch settings, I am getting 8-10 hours with heavy usage, and I can go 24 hours with light/minimal usage.

For me, heavy usage is constant web surfing, email checking, streaming music, and checking maps/nav on and off during my morning/evening commutes, with a few 2-10 minute phone calls during office hours.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Nice find! I was also wondering why maps was auto-launching, thanks for the tip.

If you never setup latitude how can it launch? I just went in to check this and asked me to join. I hit no and dont see an option in that or maps to shut anything off.
Should I assume by not joining that fixes that issue as being part of a culprit?

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you never setup latitude how can it launch? I just went in to check this and asked me to join. I hit no and dont see an option in that or maps to shut anything off.
Should I assume by not joining that fixes that issue as being part of a culprit?

I'm not sure, I can't remember if I joined it or not when I first got my phone. I haven't had to do a hard reset or anything since I got it, so I've never had to start over from scratch since then.

And I'm no expert, but I would assume by not joining that it won't just automatically update your location with latitude, if you chose to not join it.

barrysanders20

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Prior to Froyo, I hadn't charged my phone for 38 hours with moderate use and still had 42% of charge left. I was surprised. I use ATK and set it to kill every time the phone it awaken.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had been getting fairly decent battery life before the froyo update. Last night I woke up on the couch at 4am. My Evo was on the charger and fully charged. I took it off the charger and brought it into the bedroom with me and put it on the nightstand. I used it for an alarm clock and got up an hour and a half later at 5:30am. My battery was at close to 50% after just an hour and a half off the charger. I put it back on the charger while I got ready for work and took it off at 5:55am. It was now at about 75%. With absolutely no use from then to 8:30am. I took the phone out of my pocket and it was warning me to plug it in that it was at 15%. I put the phone back in my pocket and it then went totally dead at about 11:25am. I don't know what has changed but this is ridiculous and not acceptable.

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think there are enough posts on here about battery life to add as an official update issue? I really appreciate all the posts on these forums - imagine trying to call Sprint help and trying to figure this out..... However, I am absolutely sure that my battery is not the problem, and I have gone over every single setting multiple times. I didn't change any apps, so the battery monitor that I use, for example, should not be causing a problem one day when it was not the prior day. I just did a factory reset a short while ago and even that does not seem to be helping, even after I have updated all the settings to match my old phone settings. As Steelers1 said, this is completely unacceptable. I am at a loss. Again, thanks to all those contributors trying to help. Android Central rules.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
if someone could find a change log of what the first update did with the Evo that would help.
I still feel its partially due to the antenna version and another piece of software keeping the waklocks high.
If there was a way to confirm and get the CDMA Auto thing to stick between boots, that would prob help greatly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay