Here is my response from HTC on a lot of things

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
So i emailed HTC regarding the Wifi signal strength, Screen separation, MOST importantly, the 30 FPS issue, Screen responsiveness in scrolling, and speaker buzz. I will post their actual response below, but really its a bunch of CRAP IMO. They basically arent saying there is an issue with ANYTHING (and that there are not a lot of people complaining about them).

Here is the summary:

The screen issue is "cosmetic and should not affect the operation of the device"

The WIFI issue isnt an issue, its just reporting the signal wrong performance is on par with other devices.

The 30FPS problem isnt a problem at all.. its a feature!! Arent you happy about that. Its actaully a HARWARE limitation placed on the device due to the HDMI out. (This is almost a dealbreaker for me because gamin on this thing SUCKS compared to the incredible and nexus with similar harware) My only hope is that a dev out there can figure out how to disable the HDMI out so we can actaully have good performance on the device!!

Screen responsiveness in scrolling is not widely reported and they are looking into it

The crappy speaker issue or buzzin / tiny sound when you hold the phone to your ear.. well... they said you shouldnt hear that. :confused: Really.. no kidding?? lol

And here is their actual response:
Hi, I am Danielle and I would be happy to assist you today. You had some questions about several issues you were having with your HTC EVO 4G. I understand your frustration concerning these issues but let me try to address each one individually. HTC has received some reports regarding this issue, and are currently analyzing the potential causes. Most customers are not reporting any issue related to this problem. The issue appears to be cosmetic and should not affect the operation of the device. Additional information will be provided after we finish our investigation of the issue. HTC testing has shown that the signal strength meter on the HTC EVO 4G is under-reporting actual Wi-Fi signal strength. After analyzing the issue, we have found that in many instances the actual Wi-Fi performance is comparable to other similar devices, and real data throughput is not affected. HTC is developing software that will more accurately reflect actual Wi-Fi signal strength and will include this in a future update. While our testing shows that actual Wi-Fi performance is within specification, HTC will continue to monitor the situation to ensure that this is the case in the field as well. Since the HTC EVO 4G employs a unique HDMI output to deliver video in HD quality to an external display, the hardware graphics driver interface on the HTC EVO 4G uses significant resources for the HDMI output and therefore displays graphics at 30 frames per second on the integrated display. This is a hardware limitation rather than software. It is important to keep in mind that content including most movies and television, are created to run at between 24 and 30 frames per second. The 30FPS is a hardware limitation. We have found that some games may be impacted by this limitation. You mention about issues with scrolling through the screens. HTC is aware of reports about the screen responsiveness. This issue has not been widely reported but we are looking into it as we collect more information. I am not sure about the buzzing sound when you hold the device to your ear. I know you should hear a beep when the call makes a connection. You might try testing this through headphones and when you listen to music through the speakerphone or headphones as well. This could narrow down the issue to whether it is hardware related or not. I thank you for contacting HTC and please feel free to send another email if you have any other questions. In order to improve our service, I would like to invite you to participate in a survey on the worldwide HTC website at HTC Online Survey.

Man.. honestly, if i wasn't saving so much money by being on Sprint, and even with these issues, this wasn't the best phone on Sprint (or out right now really) i would return the phone and wait for the DroidX and move to VZW. So i wonder if the droidX will have a 30fps issue because it has HDMI out too (if not HTC needs to fix this issue NOW)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Which games suffer on the EVO due to the 30 FPS limit?

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing, I would be happy if those Gameloft 3d games would even make it to 30 fps, but when downloading the Asphalt 5 demo from the market, I can say with complete confidence that we might be hitting 15 fps, if that. If anything the 30 fps limit kills a bit of the smoothness of the UI. since it also affects 2d graphics.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow you guys don't know..
Any gamer can realize the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps.
Movies work under 30 fps because of motion blur.

However, try playing Raging Thunder II on the Evo compared to the N1 or Incredible.
You'll notice quite a bit of framerate issues.

Sadly, high end games don't work so well on Snapdragons. On top of that, the 30fps cap makes what games that do work not so hot.

I'm scared of buying Exzeus Arcade just to be disappointed. That game works pretty well on the N1 but has a lot of flying missiles and whatnot, meaning that the Evo could experience some downfall.

I wanted to game on this thing. I thought it would atleast be up to par with my Palm Pre.
Edit: I heard the 30fps issue is trying to be resolved from some guy who e-mailed HTC. Weird they're giving out different answers.

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am aware of that there is a huge difference between 30 and 60 fps, but still, I have been a gamer long enough to know what looks like 15 fps and what looks like 30. 30 for the most part still looks smooth and also, the framerate would be consistent if there was simply a cap by the phone at 30 fps because that would mean the game itself can generate at least 30 or more fps consistently, but it can't.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am aware of that there is a huge difference between 30 and 60 fps, but still, I have been a gamer long enough to know what looks like 15 fps and what looks like 30. 30 for the most part still looks smooth and also, the framerate would be consistent if there was simply a cap by the phone at 30 fps because that would mean the game itself can generate at least 30 or more fps consistently, but it can't.

Well, yeah. Gameloft games suck on the Evo. We can't compare those I guess. I tried Asphalt 5... probably gets around/less than 15 fps. I don't even want to try Nova.

But I saw Raging Thunder II on an N1. And then when I play it on my Evo... it can sometimes get a little crazy when lots of cars are nearby.

Now I know to look into processors more before I buy. The Adreno 200 GPU is weak in comparison to what Motorola, Samsung, and Apple use.
Heck, it's worse than my Pre.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't care about 30fps. I play Jewels, GameBoid, and word cross on my Evo. I've got a PSP for my real portable gaming.

ovE

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Cosmetic or not im going to raise a stink until somebody gives me a new Evo that doesnt have the screen falling out.

I shouldnt be punished for supporting Sprint/HTC on day 1.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Cosmetic or not im going to raise a stink until somebody gives me a new Evo that doesnt have the screen falling out.

Go back to Sprint.
Known problems usually get you a replacement.

Atleast with my Pre... it did. I returned that sucker 4 times for another one until I got one without oreo/headset problems.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Email from Gameloft:

"Hello,

For the moment, we are having some problems with the HD+ games. We are following this problem closely and we’ll get back to you as soon as we fix this issue. We apologize for this.
When this problem it’s fixed you will be contacted by our team with a new link for the game you bought.

Thanks for the patience,
Regards

-------------------------------
Pablo Fernandez De Luco
Customer Care Representative
http://www.gameloft.com/"

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

It's not punishment...

Its called being an early adopter, the honor of being on the bleeding edge of tech.

The beta testers! You are elite ::smile:: (isnt that enough)

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Email from Gameloft:

"Hello,

For the moment, we are having some problems with the HD+ games. We are following this problem closely and we?ll get back to you as soon as we fix this issue. We apologize for this.
When this problem it?s fixed you will be contacted by our team with a new link for the game you bought.

Thanks for the patience,
Regards

-------------------------------
Pablo Fernandez De Luco
Customer Care Representative
http://www.gameloft.com/"

What the heck?

I e-mailed them. I didn't get a reply back.
And I hope they know it's an Evo... not an HD+.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
youre within your 30 day window, quite bitchin and return it for a better phone then! I just dont know what some of you guys expected of this phone, seriously

ovE

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It's not punishment...

Its called being an early adopter, the honor of being on the bleeding edge of tech.

The beta testers! You are elite ::smile:: (isnt that enough)

Its punishment if I get denied a replacement because HTC decides its not an issue. It's really not up to them to decide if its an issue, its up to the users who feel that it warrants a complaint.

I'm generally not one to complain and ask for a replacement, I even had a Pre with slight oreo.

I was actually going to let it go until the screen started clicking when i depress it. Which means that its getting worse and the screen WILL come off at some point.