Cell signal analyzer? Similar to Wifi Analyzer?

mattmcg

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing around with the Wifi Analyzer that is available in the Android Market and thought about a similar application for the CDMA network. I'd love to see a list of towers, correlated to signal strength, etc to be able to analyze if signal is strong or weak and if alternate towers also service an area. There seems to be one app that I could find on the Android Market but it didn't have very good reviews and didn't seem to work for the EVO.

Anybody know of anything that is similar?

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
what would you do with that information?
the phone and the network will automatically put you on the best cell site.

I've been in this industry for 15 years.. 10 of those years were as a Field Technical Engineer with Nextel.
and I can tell you that there's nothing you could do with that information "if" you had it.;)

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well if you just want to see real-time signal strength, enter this code into your phone (as if calling someone): *#*#4636#*#*

Then tap Phone Info. Props to another AC member for revealing this and other codes. There's a whole thread dedicated to these codes if you search for it.

mattmcg

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
what would you do with that information?
the phone and the network will automatically put you on the best cell site.

I've been in this industry for 15 years.. 10 of those years were as a Field Technical Engineer with Nextel.
and I can tell you that there's nothing you could do with that information "if" you had it.;)

That's a good question. I also happen to work in the industry as well albeit this request was not related to that.

I would look to use the app in a similar way to the Wifi Analyzer app. I'd like a more technical and detailed look into all available towers from a location, their signal strengths, which one I'm currently connected, tower owner info (Verizon, Sprint, etc), and a few other available items. Really, the app is meant to provide a more in depth view of signals in a specific area to give yourself a better idea of signal strength, carrier availability, and network coverage.

An example for how I would use this came up while my wife and I were shopping for homes yesterday. Since we operate solely by cell phone, we wanted to have a view into the wireless networks available from a specific location to make sure our telecom needs were met. This would give us a deeper understanding than a simple bar meter on the phone.

kudosmog

May 19, 2010
Visit site
calling ##DEBUG# works for signal strength, as well as some other stuff, but it's really no different than looking at how many bars you have.

And I can tell you one excellent reason to have the cell tower information.

My location doesn't get very good cell signal indoors. We bought a signal amplifier (wilsonelectronics). Which way do I point the antenna to get the best signal?

If I knew where the closest tower was, and which direction it was in, this setup would be super easy.

Running this stuff on a small business location isn't exactly easy. Finding a place to mount the antenna in a place the landlord would approve, running and hiding the wires etc.

I'd hate to do all that work, then find out the best tower is on the other side of the building.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
there are 2 good apps, one called antennas, and the other called RF signal. i dont know if these work on cdma phones, but i believe they do.

antennas is good. but rf signals is really good as it will playback what you record as you drive around town running that app. its really cool to see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm