Charging Problems (OEM Charger)

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone here have the problem where their EVO won't always charge when plugged into the OEM wall charger?

I received my EVO last Thursday (6/17) and haven't had any problems with it until last night. I was about to go to bed and I plugged my EVO into the charger and the charge light turned amber and things were good. I happened to notice about 15-20 minutes later that the amber light was out and the green wasn't lit either (so no false full charge). I unplugged and plugged the charger, then I turned the phone off, waited a minute, turned it on again and it still wouldn't charge. I even tried plugging the wall charger directly into a wall instead of the power strip with no change. I finally had to charge my phone off of one of the front USB ports on my print server.

Now, after the phone has been off the charger for about 2.5 hours, I decided to give it another try. Now it works on the wall charger.

What is happening, is my charger defective, phone defective???

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Try a different wall outlet. Also make sure plug is pushed in tight. Also test a different wall charger at Sprint or BB. Good luck.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have checked the plug at both ends and unplugged and plugged them back in a few times (sometimes helps to clean USB contacts).

I will have to go to a Sprint store to try a different charger. My old Blackberry charger is a mini USB (Curve 8330).

There has been some mention of this on the HTC support forums, but no conclusive answers.

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
My wife had this issue and it turned out to be a bad cable. Got a new one and she has been fine since. If you have a different cable lying around try that.

DaGeorge2677

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue.

I don't have any problems using the wife's blackberry charger... only the OEM.

Whats strange is a reboot seems to fix it.

terr#WN

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My usb port is broken. It came loose inside the phone. No drops or anything. Waiting for a replacement to show up at radio shack. No idea how long I am going to be dealing with this. Very frustrating.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I dont think it's the OEM charger. I just realized that I never put the Evo charger on the wall, I still have my Hero charger on the wall and this morning I noticed while it was plugged in it was at 85%. I pulled the wire out from the phone and plugged it right back in and it started charging right up. Weird...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone here have the problem where their EVO won't always charge when plugged into the OEM wall charger?

I received my EVO last Thursday (6/17) and haven't had any problems with it until last night. I was about to go to bed and I plugged my EVO into the charger and the charge light turned amber and things were good. I happened to notice about 15-20 minutes later that the amber light was out and the green wasn't lit either (so no false full charge). I unplugged and plugged the charger, then I turned the phone off, waited a minute, turned it on again and it still wouldn't charge. I even tried plugging the wall charger directly into a wall instead of the power strip with no change. I finally had to charge my phone off of one of the front USB ports on my print server.

Now, after the phone has been off the charger for about 2.5 hours, I decided to give it another try. Now it works on the wall charger.

What is happening, is my charger defective, phone defective???

Mine started doing this after two weeks with no problems.. I plug mine up using the OEM charger that came with the phone. I use the kick stand and prop the phone up on my night stand. Well Saturday night I plugged it up and noticed the light didn't come on showing that it was plugged up.. The only thing that was different was for the first time in about a week I powered the phone "OFF" to charge it this time. I powered the phone back up and plugged it in and it kept going in and out of charging state... (Kept me up as each time it stopped and started charging the display would come on and off) Finally it stayed connected and charged with no problems.... Last night it did it ONCE.... I plugged it up and it was charging and then 10 minutes later the display kicked on, woke me up and I noticed it wasn't charging again, then it started charging again and no problems after that..

Going to try my wife's Blackberry plug tonight and see if does it again... Saturday night was a good hour trying to get it to charge while last night it was a 5 - 10 minute ordeal.... So far every charge has been with the stock HTC charger that came with the phone and always charged via the wall outlet not a PC....

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I too have had intermittent charging issues. I have one USB cable that I tossed in the trash. The other cables seem to work okay. I got about 8 cables on the cheap.

I saw the stock HTC cable kick charging off around 80%, but it started charging again after a few minutes.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I never switched to my wife's Blackberry cable and have not had this happen again... Charged with zero problems last night, never kicked on the screen or stopped charging.. I dunno... Very weird....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol