06-22-2010 10:05 PM
    About the same as the iPhone app store apps. The difference being that the iPhone store doesn't give you the security warnings.
    06-22-2010 10:14 PM
    I've always wondered about that. Wonder how well virus software works.
    06-22-2010 10:14 PM
    Should a list of apps of vulnerability be started?
    That way we know to avoid those.
    It might motivate developers to plug those holes.
    06-22-2010 10:35 PM
    Looking at all the junk in the market I'm not surprised.
    06-22-2010 10:47 PM
    It does sound like a good idea for our community to start a list of Apps or Games that could make us vulnerable to security breaches and expose our data.
    06-22-2010 11:03 PM
    Anyone notice how uniquely timed this story is to the Iphone 4 release?
    06-22-2010 11:27 PM
    I've always wondered about that. Wonder how well virus software works.
    Exposing private data via an application does not equal a virus.
    06-23-2010 12:16 AM
    Anyone notice how uniquely timed this story is to the Iphone 4 release?
    I agree. These "security risks" have been there from the start most android user know all about them. But sites like cnet are just starting to report on it now seems a little funny to me. I'm sure the Iphone has just as many if not more risks than android.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    06-23-2010 12:21 AM

(That's directed at C|Net, not you, EVOLICIOUS)
    06-23-2010 12:37 AM
    There is a huge list of Red warnings to downloading the apps before you buy them.
    06-23-2010 01:25 AM
    There is a huge list of Red warnings to downloading the apps before you buy them.
    Bingo.

If you're looking at a light saber or fart app and see it has access to SMS or Voice, maybe you should question why that is...?

As with most things in life: A little common sense goes a long way.
    06-23-2010 01:44 AM
    So basically it is saying that, "An open platform where you can download FREE content has the potential for scammers to play on people's ignorance..." DUH, this is one pitfall of an open environment, there may be dangers from people who scam for profit & you should arm yourself with a basic knowledge to avoid em... One thing this "article" said was that 1/5th of the programs had the POTENTIAL TO BE ABLE TO DO all these bad things... How many actually do? The potential isn't necessarily a real threat, but I guess it's more liberal support for communistic Apple to control everything you do on their platforms because people just arent good enough to handle a free environment where bad things can happen as a result of being naive.

Phones are becoming more like computers, people should treat their smartphones as if it were a computer... ie DO NOT DOWNLOAD JUST ANYTHING & MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE CLICKING ON! & phones are becoming faster in data throughput so it makes it that much more appetizing for scammers. A cellphone has MUCH more personal information than a typical home PC has so I'm suprised there hasn't been more problems with info security with smartphones. If I were a scammer, I'd target this market 110%!

I'm actually glad there is some "news" coverage of the potential for abuse on cellphones. Hopefully it will get people to think before they click as much as they worry about their home PC. But I also hope that it doesnt become some magical thing where the news says you can get effd because hackers have mystical powers to screw you with no fault of your own. & I seriously pray to all things holy that the dipdumbs don't start saying that the iPhone is immune to these attacks because macs are immune to viruses & anything evil because Apple is god's safe computing haven... If this happens, I will absolutely lose it.
    06-23-2010 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD