Vertical for pictures...horizontal for videos?

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm shooting this video today with my ex & her sister. I'm holding the phone vertically. When I play the video back on the phone, it looks fine. When I upload it to youtube, the video is turned on the side. Pictures come out correct holding the phone vertically. So, is the rule of thumb pictures vertical, video horizontal? thanks!

Here's the video:
YouTube - My Sprint EVO 4G: Filming Princess Indya & Blackfoot

The noise in the background is my a/c in the truck.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Photos can contain info that tells whatever program viewing them what is the proper orientation according to the orientation of the camera. That is, the photo has information that says which side is the top.

The video isn't actually showing "correctly" (that is, auto-rotating) on your phone, you are rotating the phone so it looks normal. The equivalent would be if you turned your monitor on it's side, it would look "normal."

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Video is a horizontal medium. Movies, TVs, Camcorders, you name it, everything is horizontal.

I've been a serious photographer for decades now, and when I got my first video camera I had to really fight the urge to turn the camera vertical for vertical subjects. As you discovered, they come out sideways on the TV when you do that.

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Video is a horizontal medium. Movies, TVs, Camcorders, you name it, everything is horizontal.

I've been a serious photographer for decades now, and when I got my first video camera I had to really fight the urge to turn the camera vertical for vertical subjects. As you discovered, they come out sideways on the TV when you do that.

I have a flip video camera and it's held vertically so I was thinking it would be the same thing for the EVO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci