When will we get Froyo, is EVO the left out Stepchild?

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
We just heard that Droid and Droid X will get Froyo in July or August. Does that mean, because of Sense, we possibly won't get Froyo until September or October? Oh, yeah, Incredible owners also will probably be waiting. I feel like I am the nice boy(EVO) next door that never gets the girl(FROYO).

What does everyone thinks? Should we be patient and good things will come to those who wait, or should she start ranting and raving?

I guess I am on the side of being patient and wait till whenever it gets to us. But it would be nice if we got Froyo by the end of July(wishful thinking).

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
August, HTC needs to make a Sense thats 2.2 Compatible. Droid and Droid X use Stock Android. So its easier to roll it out for those devices.

tlan

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Another reason why i think late summer like august is because the EVO is sprint's flag ship phone. It will probably be there best phone for awhile at least for the next 6 months. So they need to make sure it compete with the newer phones like the Droid X and stuff. So i'm sure sprint is on HTC back to get it down soon.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Evo will not be left out. It's Sprint's flagship Android phone. What will we do First with Evo? Be the first phone on Sprint's network with FroYo. :)

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
HTC can't take a long time anymore now.

Now they have to keep up with others or people will not take HTC seriously.
Plus I heard that things were changing after 2.1... that HTC would try and get updates out quicker.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much. Right now they need to focus on supply and demand and Q&A to fix initial problems before they launch a full scale OS update.

There will be some other launch handsets that will get it first, we will get ours within weeks, not months.

Besides.. Nobody buys Frozen Yogurt in the fall anyways

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Evo will not be left out. It's Sprint's flagship Android phone. What will we do First with Evo? Be the first phone on Sprint's network with FroYo. :)

They sure didn't react that way with last year's "Flagship Phone" the Palm Pre. It took them 8 months to get features like a working camcorder updated.

Although its mainly Palm's fault, not to mention they pretty much Tanked due to all the issues they had with stock, then the verizon fiasco before they were bought out by HP.

Lesson here is, just because its the flagship phone dosen't mean they will spend an endless amount of time on it. They will move on to the bigger and better 4g smartphone in October/November.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
They sure didn't react that way with last year's "Flagship Phone" the Palm Pre. It took them 8 months to get features like a working camcorder updated.

Although its mainly Palm's fault, not to mention they pretty much Tanked due to all the issues they had with stock, then the verizon fiasco before they were bought out by HP.

Lesson here is, just because its the flagship phone dosen't mean they will spend an endless amount of time on it. They will move on to the bigger and better 4g smartphone in October/November.

I am with you to a point having owned the Pre for a year, but there's one huge thing to consider: Palm vs Android. I think HTC is in FAR better shape than Palm ever was and HTC is much more apt to release 2.2 for Evo than Palm was in any shape to do anything with the Pre.

In other words, I have more faith in HTC than I do/did in Palm. We've seen HTC come out with 2.1 for the Hero; I don't see why Evo won't have it.

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It has already been announced that the Evo WILL get it, it's just a matter of when. I agree with everyone else probably by August. HTC will want to push it out as soon as they get it. Also, the version number is not a huge jump from the previous version. Usually, the first number changes when a major upgrade occurs. 2.2 is suppose to bring dramatic changes but I would guess the core pieces of the OS didn't change. Sense would probably install correctly on 2.2 but would have bugs. So instead of writing a new Sense UI, it would be more of fixing broken pieces.

Be patient young grasshopper.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
August, HTC needs to make a Sense thats 2.2 Compatible. Droid and Droid X use Stock Android. So its easier to roll it out for those devices.

Correct for the most part, although the Droid X is using a version of -Blur .. but it certainly is easier to update when its stock Android. Sense is a bit more complicated.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

It's been stated that the Droid X DOES have a skin, but it's much less instrusive than normal Motoblur.

But I do have more faith in HTC than I do in Palm (being a launch day Pre owner). I think HTC would want to get Froyo on the EVO at least when the Droid X gets the update. (same with the Incredible)

Last edited:

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It has already been announced that the Evo WILL get it, it's just a matter of when.

I know, I know.. HTC and Android are doing WAY more than Palm ever did, it just makes me laugh knowing i bought a Palm Pre and they said the "camcorder will come soon" and it ended up taking them 8 months lol

I dont think the same thing will happen with HTC and the EvO but then again you never know

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It's been stated that the Droid X DOES have a skin, but it's much less instrusive than normal Motoblur.

Yeah I still consider the X stock, the FailBlur feature isn't in your face as it seems. And Im pretty its still easy to update the Blur system, its just streaming widgets that are ugly as f#ck in your face. They can call it NinjaBlur, put it on a 4.3 inch SUPER AMOLED Hight Retina display with a dual core 3.5 GHz processor, the fact that it has a Blur layer on top of the makes the phone a fail.

J Snazzy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I imagine it will be by end of summer as well, they are fighting the Iphone 4 as well as Droid X, and Froyo makes everything better :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12