Why root my Evo?

Rooting: Yes? No? Why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I have been "tempted" by several individuals to root my Evo. The only issue (other than I don't know how) is that I don't see the benefit for me.

What exactly will rooting do to a device that you can already customize the heck out of? Why will it help me? What will it allow me to do that my Evo already does not do?

Please help. I am obviously rather new to the rooting process, and I don't understand its purpose for the end user.

Thanks!

msw323

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
So, I have been "tempted" by several individuals to root my Evo. The only issue (other than I don't know how) is that I don't see the benefit for me.

What exactly will rooting do to a device that you can already customize the heck out of? Why will it help me? What will it allow me to do that my Evo already does not do?

Please help. I am obviously rather new to the rooting process, and I don't understand its purpose for the end user.

Thanks!

The reason theat I rooted my Evo was for the battery life. I was never able to get a days worth out of it. Now that I rooted, with the exact same programs loaded/running/etc, I get a good day to a day and a half with moderate use and faster response. I am totally happy with the outcome.

The ROM I am using BTW is Baked Snack

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The reason theat I rooted my Evo was for the battery life. I was never able to get a days worth out of it. Now that I rooted, with the exact same programs loaded/running/etc, I get a good day to a day and a half with moderate use and faster response. I am totally happy with the outcome.

How did you learn how to use this? Was it difficult and time consuming?

I am still undecided, but I want to know the process.

Khidr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I second this. Baked snack, fresh, and non-sense all have excellent battery life. Typical day is 10-12 hours for me, and thats letting it struggle with a lousy signal in my busy office all day.

There are also a number of apps in the marketplace that you need to be rooted for - the number one is titanium backup, which lets you backup all of your apps with their settings (and even bluetooth pairings - as of the latest update) on your sdcard. If you ever have to restore your phone to factory settings, or get a replacement phone - this gets you back to square one in a matter of minutes.

It's also useful if you chronically flash new roms, but that's kind of circular since the OP is wondering if it's even worth rooting.

oh, and you can where cool t-shirts like this one :):

got_root_tshirt-p235462968297814388t5tr_400.jpg