ADW versus Launcher Pro on EVO

dkelley

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
guys.... if you try any launcher other than sense on a sense rom, make sure you set your sense launcher to "clean slate" with NOTHING on it at all before changing launchers. otherwise sense's widgets will keep running in background all the time taking cpu and memory.

same is true when changing from ANY launcher to another: if you have 2 or more launchers installed and have widgets on any of them, those widgets will run. Admittedly it isn't clear if every widget works that way, but certainly it's proven that some do. I just learned this myself, but it explains everything to me. and I just did some quick test now and sure enough the performance and stability differences are huge when done as I described.

also with launcherpro make sure you set the memory settings correctly if using the latest version. stops FCs.

gman eb#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I use launcher pro. I wish the mail/message icons had a notification for when you had new or unread messages. Any way to get more icons for the bar?

dkelley

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I use launcher pro. I wish the mail/message icons had a notification for when you had new or unread messages. Any way to get more icons for the bar?

you should probably post that question on the official launcherpro forum. I think it's something hard to remember like launcherpro.com LoL

I agree by the way... would be nice.

Raadius

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess ill be the bad seed out of the group and say I didnt like Launcher Pro, I couldnt customize it the way I wanted too, I did like the 3D app drawer though. Never try ADW but I heard it was laggy and had force errors so I wont even bother.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just put launcher pro on today. I love it, it has that stock feeling with enough tweaks. I like how you can change what's on the launch bar, as a google voice only user, that was really helpful and the pre-made icons were slick.

The drawer is sweet as well.

I went down to 5 home screens with this, just figured it'd be less clutter. Just added one folder for "entertainment" apps.

I had to buy feedR to use with 4 feeds I want a home screen.

I'm still trying to find a good HTC Calendar widget replacement but hitting the calendar app icon isn't a big deal.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
idk what i was seeing but launcher pro was virtually un-usable on my evo.. constant lag and constant FC.
ADW has been a dream, i love the set icons on the dock and all the customizations.

never a FC

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think CyanogenMod uses ADW Launcher as default now... which I would love to try out.
But it seems like people have been getting FC's on both LauncherPro and ADW.... apparently mostly launcherpro.

Last edited:

twan2001

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I didnt know about launcher pro until I read this thread and i'm just saying that this is the best thing that I've downloaded to my phone... I have a good list of apps. I loved Sense UI, but Launcher Pro's customization puts Sense to shame.

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I download ADW first, didnt care for it, seemed harder to customize the way I like, downloaded launcher pro due to the spotlight it has gotten..and WOW! I must say this is the single best thing I have done to my evo besides SWYPE and rooting to Baked Snack(40hrs of battery!)

BTW, in case some of you havent updated your Launcher Pro, they have now added customizable icons with notifications! This is probably my favorite feature of all!

I also have my screen animations set to "8" and the phone is extremely fasts and never lags, WAY faster than sense.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
My favorite feature of LP is the sliding launch bar. I keep my one touch dials there,one swipe and touch and I'm dialing.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just put launcher pro on today. I love it, it has that stock feeling with enough tweaks. I like how you can change what's on the launch bar, as a google voice only user, that was really helpful and the pre-made icons were slick.

The drawer is sweet as well.

I went down to 5 home screens with this, just figured it'd be less clutter. Just added one folder for "entertainment" apps.

I had to buy feedR to use with 4 feeds I want a home screen.

I'm still trying to find a good HTC Calendar widget replacement but hitting the calendar app icon isn't a big deal.

try smooth calendar

dcatiller

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
guys.... if you try any launcher other than sense on a sense rom, make sure you set your sense launcher to "clean slate" with NOTHING on it at all before changing launchers. otherwise sense's widgets will keep running in background all the time taking cpu and memory.

same is true when changing from ANY launcher to another: if you have 2 or more launchers installed and have widgets on any of them, those widgets will run. Admittedly it isn't clear if every widget works that way, but certainly it's proven that some do. I just learned this myself, but it explains everything to me. and I just did some quick test now and sure enough the performance and stability differences are huge when done as I described.

also with launcherpro make sure you set the memory settings correctly if using the latest version. stops FCs.

Thanks for the info on this post. I had tried both LP and ADW and had both of those and Sense complely conrigured. Once I removed ADW and set Sense to clean slate, LP is solid on my Evo. I had though LP was the problem, not knowing that all ththose widgets still had an effect.