Wow i feel like the step child with the EVO

sextonar

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
This is my first post and im kinda buzzed right now s0 flame on....

I have been a blackberry user for the past few years and thought I finally found my phone of the future (2years at least) with the EVO...even bought it on June 4th. As my 30 days approaches I can only say I feel a little Jilted as Iphone4 and Droid x is released and is making EVO look more and more like the dumbest of the super smart phones.

Part of this is my fault, I am a gadget nut and love tech, so therefore I look on message boards and read all the articles therefore im not blind to small problems. I showed my buddy my evo and he drooled all over it and i felt stupid pointing out the flaws with my evo. I was fine with the light leakage, fine with the poor wifi, fine with the camera that is scratch prone, even fine with the battery life, but i cant get over the 30 fps and how poorly the EVO compares to the Droid X and Nexus 1 in benchmark tests. It make me sick watching that video and how this powerhouse of a phone stacks up so poorly.

Yes My EVO has 4g (not in my area) and video chat feature, but now that I have the phone I have only used it twice to show off to my buddies. I really cant see myself ever using this on a daily basis. But I really think Im at the point where Im gonna waive the white flag before my 30 days is up and move to verizon and preorder the droid x. Ugh, it just sucks. I had so much built up in the EVO and while parts have delivered there have been major flaws that Im sure will be fixed in the EVO2, but at that point im still stuck with this phone for 1 more year.

Just kinda makes me think i wish I would have been dumb/blind/ignorant of all the details about great smart phones and just been amazed at the live wallpaper.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that the Droid X is going to be outshined by a phone probably by Thanksgiving time at best. Welcome to the smartphone world. It's advancing at an insane pace. Just pick a device that you will be happy with. I love my Evo. Is the Droid X better? Maybe by a hair. But that doesn't matter. The Evo is still one of the best smartphones you can get and probably will be able to get for some time. You're also one the cheapest network of all the carriers with your smartphone. Stop complaining and enjoy your phone.

etexans82

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Yea i know. This poor video quality is really giving me buyer's remorse. The audio is soooo freaking poor its ridiculous! I thought this phone was suppose to stack up against the best in every area which i could have been fine with even if it came in 2nd but to be soooo poor in video quality and audio man this really sucks. This is a feature that you really could enjoy using and use more if it worked good. I don't even want to use the crap bc its so poor. It's upseting me the more i think about it! The quality is just poor!

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
It's too bad you guys feel that the Evo was a bad move. I love mine. I don't have light leakage, and my wifi reception is decent. We have 4G in the area, so I even get to use that, and I don't use my camera for serious video stuff (and for what I do use video for, it works just fine).

Get what makes you happy. If it's not the Evo, then so long. I hope you find the phone nirvana you're looking for. I found mine with the Evo.

MirrorMMO

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, like the previous poster. I'll NEVER even think about going back to a Palm Pre, battery lasted 5 hours with minimal internet usage (I carried two batteries to make sure I got a full days charge.) The Evo, (I'm not gonna lie) has a horrible video imo, was the Pre better? Hell no. Blurry as hell, no zoom, no flash.

I won't be getting a new phone until there is something astonishing to the phone world.

soldierblue

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Over the three weeks I've had it, I don't even think it's a very good phone anymore. I think it could have been, and I think it should have been, but it's not. Almost all the major selling points Sprint and HTC used have turned into shortcomings. It does 720p video? Yeah, well it doesn't do it well enough to even bother using. It's got 4G? Well, it kills your battery life enough to not even bother with it. But wait, its got a huge screen! Yeah, well, I'll give them that.

It should be the most awesome phone ever, and I should love it. But, I don't, because, regardless of how good or bad it is, it's a disappointment. I expected more, and it didn't deliver. Every awesome feature it has an asterisk next to it.

I just picked up an HTC Incredible, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm liking it more. Regardless of it having the same trashy camera.

sonny50

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing you have to ask yourself, what did you buy your phone for? The number one reason we all buy them is to make and receive calls.

As I see it the Evo does a great job at that. Everythng else it does is a bonus. No phone will ever replace a mp3 player,GPS,Still Camera,Video Camera, etc.

I sell 50 to 75 phones a month,(yesterday 4 EVO's & 5 iphone 4). People return phones everyday for a number of reasons only about 5% because the phone function doesn't work.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate hearing all these complaints about certain problems, which believe or not, can be fixed with just a few settings change. For the video camera and camera itself, they're not as bad as everyone thinks. First of all, Sprint has generic settings for the camera and video. They do not have it set to the best settings right away, like Apple does for the iPhone 4. I adjusted the settings for the video and camera, and everybody that has seen the video and pictures I have think they are gorgeous. Go change your settings. Second, I haven't had the problems some of you have had. I have day one EVO, 002 hardware and been lucky enough to have no problems. WIFI works pretty good and I am enjoying Android, coming from the Palm Pre (took 5 phones to get a good one). No phone is perfect, ask some of the people who just got the iPhone 4. Their complaints are just as bad. Go to their forums. As a phone, the EVO works great. I have clear calls, also I am picking up more areas than I did before. Is the battery life great, no, but 14 hours of heavy use isn't bad. I watch a movie, played games, did email, made calls all day and downloaded programs, and my phone lasted 14 hours, oh, with 20% left. Learn how to adjust settings and battery life might get better for you.

If you don't like the phone, or you have buyers remorse, get another phone. You are in the 30 day window. You have a right to your opinion. Not everyone is having bad experiences with the EVO. Plus, if you go to another network, you will pay a little or a lot more. You have to decide what is more important, the phone or the network?

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
This cracks me up. Not only is this one of the dumbest threads started, but it's actually funny. Not to slam the OP, but have you actually read any of the iPhone 4 threads started? Or any of the Nexus 1 threads already made? The Droid X will have them too... all the stuff you're complaining about is only a fractional difference in what those phone owners are complaining about now...

Example: Iphone 4 owners have blurry synced pictures, no reception holding their phone in the left hand, their "Facetime" video chat ONLY works over wifi... to other iPhone 4s. (Qik can be done over 3G, 4G, & Wifi - to other Qik users on phones and computers)

tmaxey1

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, what do you want to hear? What is your point? Do you want someone to talk you out of buying a Droid X?
Do you realize you are jumping to a carrier and phone because of a benchmark test that you dont even understand? How smart are you? You dont know the difference unless you run some benchmark that doesnt mean much in daily use. Shouldnt you focus on the things that make your phone more enjoyable in daily use. Like Sense UI vs Moto Blur? That is what you will be using everyday. Plus when 2.2 is released on the phones their performances will both go up big time. In fact with 2.1 and Sense the EVO has been shown in test to run faster than the iPhone 4. Many would say it takes better pictures also.

You really need to stop watching a benchmark test and thinking it actually matters. What application will run any different on the droid X vs the EVO?

The answer is none. Because apps are designed to be sold to as many people as possible so they are created to run on the majority of phones. Not custom designed to make sure they take advantage of one benchmark test on one phone.

And if you want an iphone go buy one. Whats holding you back? Go play with the little screen. You obviously cant appreciate the value of 4.3inches.

DocPeanut

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Some people will never be happy, there will always be a better phone right around the corner. The best way to avoid disappointment is to carry a pocket full of quarters and find a payphone to make your calls.

Bottom line, if you're not happy with the evo then return it and buy the iphone or droid-x, then you can go crap up the other boards complaining how they don't meet your demands.

MaineSociety

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I have been a blackberry user for the past few years and thought I finally found my phone of the future (2years at least) with the EVO...even bought it on June 4th. As my 30 days approaches I can only say I feel a little Jilted as Iphone4 and Droid x is released and is making EVO look more and more like the dumbest of the super smart phones.

Part of this is my fault, I am a gadget nut and love tech, so therefore I look on message boards and read all the articles therefore im not blind to small problems. I showed my buddy my evo and he drooled all over it and i felt stupid pointing out the flaws with my evo. I was fine with the light leakage, fine with the poor wifi, fine with the camera that is scratch prone, even fine with the battery life, but i cant get over the 30 fps and how poorly the EVO compares to the Droid X and Nexus 1 in benchmark tests. It make me sick watching that video and how this powerhouse of a phone stacks up so poorly.

Yes My EVO has 4g (not in my area) and video chat feature, but now that I have the phone I have only used it twice to show off to my buddies. I really cant see myself ever using this on a daily basis. But I really think Im at the point where Im gonna waive the white flag before my 30 days is up and move to verizon and preorder the droid x. Ugh, it just sucks. I had so much built up in the EVO and while parts have delivered there have been major flaws that Im sure will be fixed in the EVO2, but at that point im still stuck with this phone for 1 more year.

Just kinda makes me think i wish I would have been dumb/blind/ignorant of all the details about great smart phones and just been amazed at the live wallpaper.
So when the X doesn't deliver on all your expectations then what?

Dude just tell yourself, you're going to get every new phone that comes out that might up your current phone then you will be happy.:rolleyes:

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
The mods need to create an official "Buyers remorse/why I'm getting rid of my Evo" thread so that these can stop popping up. People ... there will always be flaws, there will always be something better on the horizon (especially with Android) ... it's the nature of the beast. Right now, ON SPRINT, this is the best thing going. Will it be 6 months from now? Doubt it. There's always something better on the roadmap. I'm a gadget head, but I'm not going to change providers because a new phone beat my new phone in a benchmark test. You have to do what you feel comfortable with; life is too short to not be happy with your phone. But just do it and get it over with. I don't understand why people create these threads. It's like they need support to ditch the phone ...

tmaxey1

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think phone tech has finally reached the point of diminishing returns. Its like the video game console wars. Look at how long the xbox360 has been around and the replacement isnt coming anytime soon. Now some people pointed to some goofball benchmark test to show why the PS3 was better than the vxox360. But the reality is the only way it is better is the benchmark software. otherwise they are the same. Thats what we are getting to with phones. What really does minor changes to a phone as powerful as these phones really do? Will it suddenly change the way you really use them?

Look, the EVO, Droid X, and Iphone 4 are all powerful enough to be great phones in daily use. If you have to run a benchmark test to see the difference then their really isnt one.

Its like i told the jeweler when i was shopping for engagement rings. If i have to put a microscope up to my eye to see a difference in 2 diamonds then their isnt one.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't think the iPhone 4 and Droid X are major leaps in technology vs the EVO... Just different... Even with those two phones I think the EVO holds it's own vs any phone on the market (and will win a few rounds here and there)

This just looks like another person out to complain more than any thing else. I knew the iPhone was coming but I tired of AT&T and the iPhone after 2 years in that market..

My frustrations with AT&T and the iPhone lead me to look at other phones in the last year... I passed on the Pre, Hero, Instinct HD, Moment and a few others because they were not what I was really looking for in a replacement for the iPhone... I finally made a move and paid cash money for a Nexus One and switched to T-Mobile for two months. Loved the phone hated the network but I loved Android.. So I made the jump to the EVO knowing full well new and slightly better (really slightly DIFFERENT) hardware was coming and I am happy with my EVO... It does what I want it to do and does it all very well...

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I swear some of u guys have money to burn lol. I have an evo and i love it. I had the first iphone and ditched it because of att pricing. Went to sprint and couldn't be happier. I get a 23% discount from my job and my 3g speeds are great. Just last week i realized that this was the phone for me when i was at work watching the nba finals lol

thevacantsoul

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Why are you guys being so defensive...calm down. I own an EVO and I can kinda see the op has a point. And he is leaning towards getting a Droid X not the iPhone 4 yet most of posts jumped on iPhone issues. I am kind of in the same boat because I have light leakage and loose screen corner and now I am concerned if I swap it out I will get hardware 003 which has the Epson lcd on which the colors don't look as good. And its not just about benchmarks, the colors on the Droid x do actually look better. The crazy thing is that if I switch to Verizon I will be paying 10 bucks less since I use Google voice and won't require a texting plan.

My point is I guess is that not everyone has to love the phone YOU own, and this is forum to discuss all things EVO not just all great things EVO. And if someone doesn't like the phone you own and is going to return it that doesn't mean you made a bad decision because we all have different needs and desires with these awesome smartphones.

My buddy bought the iPhone 4, display is sweet but that screen looks tiny and I can't go back to anything smaller than 4.3 inch now. Plus I love Android and Google voice.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
One more thing...lol...I never actually thought that a camera on a phone would ever replace a good digital point and shoot or DSLR, or for that matter a good hi-def camcorder. I'm more than happy with the picture quality for what I use them for, sending to other peoples phones and uploading to Facebook. Same with the video. Anybody that thought that a $500 phone was gonna replace a $500 camera AND a $500 camcorder and still be this awesome of a phone is in denial.

The EVO is an awesome phone and will be for a while. Even when the next big thing comes out on Sprint it will still be an awesome phone. Just because a newer better phone comes out doesn't mean the current one is crap. The EVO is better than the Pre, but that doesn't make the Pre crap.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I swear some of u guys have money to burn lol. I have an evo and i love it. I had the first iphone and ditched it because of att pricing. Went to sprint and couldn't be happier. I get a 23% discount from my job and my 3g speeds are great. Just last week i realized that this was the phone for me when i was at work watching the nba finals lol

Trust me I don't have plenty of money to spend.... Married with two daughters so money is always at a premium around my house....

I had an iPhone for two years and was looking to get away because of the spotty service I got from them and the overall cost. I paid the $529 for the Nexus One because T-Mobile actually gives you an incentive to pay for your phone to the tune of a $20 per month discount on your service plan... Which more than makes up for paying for the phone....

LUCKY for me I paid $529 for the Nexus One and then sold it for $450.. Had I not been able to get at least $400 for it I would still be carrying the sucker but I sold it and now I am more than happy to spend 2 years with my EVO and Sprint...

My bill is also over $50 a month cheaper on the EVO vs my iPhone.... I actually come up cheaper on Sprint vs T-Mobile.. With my Nexus One I paid $79.99 for unlimited every thing but I got no discount. With Sprint I have the $69.99 plan plus the $10 EVO charge and I get 25% off my bill plus waived activation and early upgrades through my company so I have no complaints at all.... (Also got 25% off with AT&T through my company, excluding the iPhone data charge)

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
No the Only.reason you people feel that way is cuz the Droid x and iPhone4 has come out and you thought the Evo would **** on both. The Evo is just great and me n my wife can barley put ours down. With the screen size I don't even use my pc for the internet anymore. You people just need to sell your evos. And did you'd forget, Droid x is verizon, iPhone4 is at&t. So good luck paying a lot more for less the what you get with Sprint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay