Is it just me, or is the Palm Pre just more fun to hack? I've tried to get into hacking my Evo and such, but its just not that fun. Maybe its because the phone already has all the features I need? Maybe its because we don't have as much of a vibrant homebrew community? Idk for sure, but I'm really starting to miss Preware . I had more fun homebrewing my phone than actually using it. Now I feel like theres no need. Its like an empty feeling. So strange.
    06-27-2010 10:28 PM
    That's because the pre is lacking a lot more than Android is
    06-27-2010 10:36 PM
    I believe there will be more interesting roms and such when all the source codes are released. That way we can have an overclocked Froyo asop with all hardware bits working. Remember the Pre didn't develop all its homebrew stuff overnight. So far I'm having a great time learning a new platform and can't wait to see what comes next.
    06-27-2010 10:38 PM
    I agree. I think I just like to manually make my phone better, than to buy a really nice phone. I have no idea why I'm like this, but I'm glad HTC made the Evo at 30fps, as long as theres a way I can homebrew it to make it better. I just get a thrill out've making my phone better piece by piece. Even though I hardly ever use my phone except to make a few calls, text, and check Android Central.

I believe there will be more interesting roms and such when all the source codes are released. That way we can have an overclocked Froyo asop with all hardware bits working. Remember the Pre didn't develop all its homebrew stuff overnight. So far I'm having a great time learning a new platform and can't wait to see what comes next.
    I hope so, even now theres lots of great ROMS out there. I just feel like the device is already finished, that there isn't much room for improvements software wise.
    06-27-2010 10:45 PM
    Palms homebrew commuinity is just great! Very positive as well as supportive. Thats the one thing I really miss now being on an android device. I still frequent PC and am still very excited to see palms new device. But I think the community was a big part of that fun feeling.
    06-27-2010 10:57 PM
    I remember those days of waiting 10 minutes for preware feeds to load..

waiting and checking precentral.net every day for a snes emulator

waiting every day for when the next OTA update was to fix what should have worked in the first place.

After a week with my evo i look at my screen and my phone, then i look at my pre it is like driving my a new 2011 Mustang GT and looking at the 1998 cavalier you traded in as you drive by the dealership.
    06-27-2010 11:00 PM
    What i get a kick out of the most is, my entire pre fills just the screen portion of my Evo...

My Evo's left side of the screen has stopped responding, so i am using the pre again until Radio Shack gets more.
    06-27-2010 11:04 PM
    Bingo. I have no desire to run a custom ROM on my EVO because it's extremely customizable and does what I need it to out of the box, two areas the Pre was and is sorely lacking in. You kind of lose all the benefits of webOS's great GUI when everything else is so lacking and it REQUIRES you to install Preware to make things right, something that shouldn't be required of the average non-geek user.
    06-27-2010 11:06 PM
    Lol waiting for those Preware feeds. Man I swear I must've opened up Preware 30 times a day.

You kind of lose all the benefits of webOS's great GUI when everything else is so lacking and it REQUIRES you to install Preware to make things right, something that shouldn't be required of the average non-geek user.
    And thats exactly what I miss.
    06-27-2010 11:06 PM
    Yeah I rooted my Evo... but have found no reason to flash a rom.
    I have all the features I need for now. I'll just wait until Froyo or a really developed rom comes by.

But I do look at XDA for some insight on anything new happening.

I don't miss Preware that much... I had a couple patches. Opening it was annoying because of all the things it had to load.
    Themes added instability sometimes, especially when some nooby made them.
    I did like the homebrew community. It was tight.

Well, XDA does have some awesome stuff.
    The thing is, it's not one device. There's many Android devices.

Since the Palm Pre was the only device (well, there was +... but w/e)... then it was much easier to keep things on hold.
    Rudementry likes this.
    06-27-2010 11:10 PM
    Lol waiting for those Preware feeds. Man I swear I must've opened up Preware 30 times a day.

And thats exactly what I miss.
    The HUGE Android app catalog makes up for it in my case. I love reading about and trying apps people have discovered, even if most of them wind up getting deleted. You get the occasional gem which makes it all worth it.
    06-27-2010 11:11 PM
    Is it just me, or is the Palm Pre just more fun to hack? I've tried to get into hacking my Evo and such, but its just not that fun. Maybe its because the phone already has all the features I need? Maybe its because we don't have as much of a vibrant homebrew community? Idk for sure, but I'm really starting to miss Preware . I had more fun homebrewing my phone than actually using it. Now I feel like theres no need. Its like an empty feeling. So strange.
    I have to agree with you somewhat. The Evo already has everything on it and the Pre did not (as mentioned by others). However I really enjoyed homebrew and hacking my Pre. Plus it was a WHOLE LOT easier to hack the Pre than it is to hack Android phones (at least IMO)
    06-27-2010 11:12 PM
    I don't miss Preware that much... I had a couple patches. Opening it was annoying because of all the things it had to load.
    Themes added instability sometimes, especially when some nooby made them.
    I did like the homebrew community. It was tight.
    I totally agree with almost everything you said, except I had TONS of patches, and it really wasn't that bad loading Preware if you disabled the useless feeds. I never had the themes or app catalog ever load, just the WebOS internals stuff.
    06-27-2010 11:18 PM
    I kinda know what you mean, I like tweaking things alot. However I could never go back. I am actually surprised on how much I like Android. I was a bit of a skeptic coming from Web OS but I really couldn't be happier.
    Rudementry likes this.
    06-27-2010 11:18 PM
    I kinda know what you mean, I like tweaking things alot. However I could never go back. I am actually surprised on how much I like Android. I was a bit of a skeptic coming from Web OS but I really couldn't be happier.
    I couldn't agree more, I love Android. At first I was so skeptical, all the horror stories about "not true multitasking!", and "fragmentation!". Honestly 2 months ago I would never have been able to wrap my head around having an Android device.
    06-27-2010 11:20 PM
    Another vote for "the EVO already has what we had to hack into the Pre." Because of the tiny Pre screen, a godsend for me was to patch in landscape view for email, but with the EVO, the screen is already big and hi-rez enough (480 px vs. 320 px) that it's hardly necessary but if I need to, it already has the ability to do it stock.

I suspected early on that the Pre was likely to become a hackers-only phone because John and Jane Q. Public mostly want to just use their phones - why else is the locked-down iPhone so beloved by the iSheep? - and don't even want to know about patches and hacks, etc. Android allows for those who want to tweak to tweak, but it comes out of the box working fine for those who don't.
    06-27-2010 11:21 PM
    Palms homebrew commuinity is just great! Very positive as well as supportive. Thats the one thing I really miss now being on an android device. I still frequent PC and am still very excited to see palms new device. But I think the community was a big part of that fun feeling.
    Right on the money...
    Zindoh likes this.
    06-28-2010 12:33 AM
    As much as I loved the Pre's community and the kick-*** work and effort they put into turning the Pre into a true smartphone, I can't say I miss the process of waiting and hoping that they pick up the ball Palm seemed to drop so often time and time again. The anticipation of "what well they do next" was awesome, but turned into a weekly reminder that I purchased a not ready for primetime phone and OS.

While the community is truly great in every aspect, PC has become a very bitter, negative place. I don't mind harshness when deserved, but the overwhleming attitude of stay on the sinking ship til it reaches shore, which seems to have taken over at PC, just kills all the positive elements of an active community trying to do the job Palm didn't. Some have taken zealousness way too far.
    chaosrecords likes this.
    06-28-2010 04:01 AM
    As much as I loved the Pre's community and the kick-*** work and effort they put into turning the Pre into a true smartphone, I can't say I miss the process of waiting and hoping that they pick up the ball Palm seemed to drop so often time and time again. The anticipation of "what well they do next" was awesome, but turned into a weekly reminder that I purchased a not ready for primetime phone and OS.

While the community is truly great in every aspect, PC has become a very bitter, negative place. I don't mind harshness when deserved, but the overwhleming attitude of stay on the sinking ship til it reaches shore, which seems to have taken over at PC, just kills all the positive elements of an active community trying to do the job Palm didn't. Some have taken zealousness way too far.
    I'll agree with both of these statements. I loved waiting for devs to dish out something we all previously thought was impossible with the given tools. But the reason i switched was because i hated waiting on Palm to actually try to move ahead. I also opened preware every 5 seconds just to see what was new. And still frequently go there (I'm in the process of trying to convince a friend to try the new thunder chief kernel =P)

And PC was kinda filled with Debbie Downers. Hopefully whatever new device Palm puts out will spark some smiles =)

As far as Android goes, I'm pretty impressed with its homebrew. The idea of roms is very engaging to me. and given the issues HTC has given us it creates that webos internals feel to a degree. unfortuntely they are also giving us the waiting on you to make a move that we're all so familiar with in their delivery of source.
    06-28-2010 06:06 AM
    Didnt Google lock the ability to root on this phone?

I thought I read somewhere where they locked it, or at least lock something lol..
    06-28-2010 06:46 AM
    I totally agree, I think the Pre was a lot more fun to hack. Sure, the Android may just have hit the mark so it doesn't need all the hacking, but the Patches on the Pre made things much more customizable. There really isn't too much customization that can be had on the Android.

I loved installing things like a SSH and creating a wireless Sync solution for my Pre. As soon as I would take a picture, it would appear in my Dropbox on my PCs.
    06-28-2010 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD