Official 6/28 Update Thread - Discuss Here

Richard_Danger

May 16, 2010
www.twitter.com
Okay so here is what I have observed,

1. noticeably improved battery life. in 8 hours, I have only used 20 to 30% of the battery. pre-update 20 to 30% of the battery was gone in 2 - 3 hours.
2. phone is much more responsive. I didn't have the grounding issue, but the responsiveness improvements are noticeable
3. peep has been a little buggy. from saying no tweets to just closing on me. i did a reset (which is why i gave a range on the battery) and things have improved.
4. wifi signal has improved somewhat i suppose. Where as before the update i got no bars in my bathroom, I now get a bar 60% of the time I am in there.
5. long press on the keyboard works
6. Qik is always running in the "Running Services". This is new and interesting.

I updated this morning around 10:30 am while on the ****ter at work. got a little nervous because it took so long, but I stuck with it and everything came out okay. Lets hope the froyo update goes smoother. Maybe sprint/htc should provide us with more instructions like "this is going to take a long time to install, so dont turn your phone off. Do not try to reinstall this update after you have already installed it."

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No real problems for me. I did a manual update after my wife called to tell me her EVO was notifying her of the update.

The update did take about 10-15 minutes with several reboots and long pauses. Being a veteran (i.e. Old guy) with technology it never occurred to me to reset the phone while I was waiting.

My experience/observations:

GOOD
*Wifi is showing better signal strength and speed tests show that it is in fact faster. As I move from to room the signal does not waver and drop as it did before.
* Battery life appears to me better, but more testing is needed.
* Screen sensitivity is better. Where I used to see scrolling go from very slow to suddenly scrolling entire pages, now I feel much more in control like the screen responds exactly as I expect it too.

Not so good
* The Android wallpapers are gone.
* The phone had to be rebooted to get wifi and 3G signals. After doing that once the phone has been perfect.
* "Shoot me" does not work now. And I won't root just for screen shots.

None of the problems are show stoppers for me. My wife checked later and found the update had been pulled, so she hasn't updated yet.

I'm very sorry to hear some people have had serious problems with this update. Sprint claims they want to improve their customer support credibility. Now is their opportunity, while the rest of the super phone customers decide which phone to get this year.

On a side note. There was a scary moment when my beta version of Swype did not want too work. I sent desperate pleas to Swype and they actually had a beta program engineer call me directly to sort the problem out! Now THAT is customer support, and for a product I am not even paying for by definition. Interestingly the Swype engineer was on an EVO!

Last edited:

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
hey the update erased the forced roam PRL files

hey the update erased the forced roam PRL files and I can't get them to load back. anyone else have this problem or solution?

qu1nn

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
never Rooted;
I updated, some of the delays were scary and I thought the device locked up.... I just set it off to the side (glad I did) ....other than missing some widgets on startup (easily fixed) I did notice:
1) the wifi signal strength improved... not just the indicators, either. WIFI app picked up some 13 access points by the end of my driveway whereas prior to the update I had to walk down the street!
2) battery seems to drain slower when off, but I have to wait a couple of days to compare with older data.
3) Grounding issue fixed
4) screen sensitivity seems better; in some conditions i used to have to hit "p" or the "0" multiple times for it to register.... not anymore.
5) That I really miss shootme (doesnt work anymore)...

I installed first thing in the morning, albeit I have not had issues like others, next time I wont be so anxious to install...and I will wait a day to see what happens....

qu1nn

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
Only problem I am having now that I didn't before is long presses don't work on the keyboard, but only while the phone is plugged in. Unplugged, everything is peachy. Better wi-fi too.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Okay so here is what I have observed,

1. noticeably improved battery life. in 8 hours, I have only used 20 to 30% of the battery. pre-update 20 to 30% of the battery was gone in 2 - 3 hours.
2. phone is much more responsive. I didn't have the grounding issue, but the responsiveness improvements are noticeable
3. peep has been a little buggy. from saying no tweets to just closing on me. i did a reset (which is why i gave a range on the battery) and things have improved.
4. wifi signal has improved somewhat i suppose. Where as before the update i got no bars in my bathroom, I now get a bar 60% of the time I am in there.
5. long press on the keyboard works
6. Qik is always running in the "Running Services". This is new and interesting.

I updated this morning around 10:30 am while on the ****ter at work. got a little nervous because it took so long, but I stuck with it and everything came out okay. Lets hope the froyo update goes smoother. Maybe sprint/htc should provide us with more instructions like "this is going to take a long time to install, so dont turn your phone off. Do not try to reinstall this update after you have already installed it."

I think a lot of the problems were very isolated... I read where people are saying it took FOREVER to download even over WiFi... I am on vacation this week and didn't even have the option of WiFi so I downloaded the update via the 3G network and not exactly a great 3G signal and I had the update downloaded and installed in 15 minutes... It went fast and smooth.... Only "Improvement" I have noticed is the grounding issue. Again I am not at home so I can't test WiFi but before at home I got a good strong WiFi signal in my office next to the router, in the living room, on my back porch and even down my driveway at my mail box.... My signal from my house never dropped below 2 bars and was full strength in my living room and in the office.... Even 30 yards down my drive way at the mail box I got 2 - 3 bars on WiFi... Will be interesting to see what it looks like when I get home....

I don't know about the rest of you guys but when I did the install process I actually got a warning that said "THIS MAY TAKE ____ AMOUNT OF TIME, DURING THIS TIME YOU WONT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR PHONE."

How much more do you want from Sprint? I thought that was plenty enough information on how long it was going to take....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I can't help but wonder if the people who are seeing much improved battery life are getting it just as a result of doing a cold boot. A number of users have reported that a reboot resolved their battery issues, and the update did several reboots.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
I can't help but wonder if the people who are seeing much improved battery life are getting it just as a result of doing a cold boot. A number of users have reported that a reboot resolved their battery issues, and the update did several reboots.

I think it's just a placebo effect.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Meyerweb..... I got great battery life out of the box.... I was getting 12 - 16 hours on average.... I bought a spare battery and swapped them out... and I was still getting the same battery life... a week later I swapped batteries again and my battery life went to 6 hours or less.... I swapped batteries and charged them with out the phone a few times and nothing helped... 6 hours or so of battery life.... Finally I did a factory reset and the battery life went back to 12 - 16 hours.... I will see what kind of life I get out of it today since by the time I updated the phone had been off the charger for 3+ hours....

Some thing just happened when I swapped out batteries... It was SOMETHING running in the background as my up and awake times were almost identical (I used a task killer an killed EVERY THING to no avail) Factory Reset fixed it though... (Oh and I do power my phone OFF before swapping batteries)

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Move on? And continue to pay a company to treat me like crap? We will see how they handle this one, because I have a few more lines that have about a year left on contract that I should not have to pay an ETF if I want to leave Sprint now.

You dont have to stay (your line) but the other lines do as they are STILL UNDER CONTRACT. There is not contract clause that states "if you are not happy you can get out of your contract."

You (or someone) signed it. Either pay the ETFs and leave, or deal with it.

I also don't see why it is a big deal. Go return your bricked EVO, get on a waiting list for a new phone and activate an old phone or get a loaner phone until they get you one in. **** happens, thats life.

CraigRD

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Now my phone will not power up or recognize being plugged into a power source :eek:

I had a problem with my phone not turning back on or charging after I turned it off. This occurred even before the update was made.

After about several attempts for about 10 minutes, the phone finally turned back on. So, I am not sure if this bricking is because of the update or something else.

The update on my phone worked perfectly.

Thanks,
Craig

gikim1118

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Noticeably better wifi signal (still not great), seems the sense UI is more smoother and that's pretty much it. My update didn't break any widgets. Battery life seems about the same (12-16 hours).

adave

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You dont have to stay (your line) but the other lines do as they are STILL UNDER CONTRACT. There is not contract clause that states "if you are not happy you can get out of your contract."

You (or someone) signed it. Either pay the ETFs and leave, or deal with it.

I also don't see why it is a big deal. Go return your bricked EVO, get on a waiting list for a new phone and activate an old phone or get a loaner phone until they get you one in. **** happens, thats life.

Agree. Its just bad luck. Many of us have come across it in life with various phones. Just wait for them to get you a new one and you'll be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair