Converting video for HTC Evo

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What is the best free program (and settings) out there to convert files to fit the full screen on the Evo. Specifically I'm trying to use .avi files, and though they are working with a 3rd party app, they don't play full screen, even though they pretty high quality, what is the best way to go about formatting them for the Evo?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
There is the VideoLAN VLC media player. It can play and convert many different formats.

If you tell it to save as an mp4 and tell it to use the mp4 settings (by pull down) and you should be all set. I have noticed a few video artifacts in the first few seconds of encoding.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
you can use handbrake. and the formats are mp4 and h263 and h264 i believe.

you can do a search of these here forums to confirm.

curthibbs

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
It needs "h.264 base profile". Fortunately I found a great utility (and its free) that will convert just about any video file into the perfect Evo video: "DVD Catalyst Free for HTC Evo". It couldn't be easier to use.There are no options or settings. You just drag and drop the video you want to convert onto it and click the button to start it converting. It works perfectly every time!

You can download it here: http://www.tools4movies.com/free/dcf_evo_install.zip

I've been so impressed that I went ahead and purchased their non-free DVD Catalyst product for other conversion needs. Here is their home page: Tools4Movies, Official home of DVD Catalyst -- highly recommended!