Power Button CRACK? Check your phone!!

Do you have a crack at your power button?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
WOW I have a crack in mine too and I have a hard case on my phone too that covers most of that area. The poll is almost up to a 20% crack rate now... that's definitely a problem.

KingGrimlock

May 8, 2010
Visit site
i didn't when i voted but cracks appeared on mine today near the power button and near the volume down button (i guess it's from all of the booting into recovery).

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I've had a hard cover on my evo since I got it in August I decided to go completely naked today and noticed that I had the crack too... i have no clue how long it's been there but I normally cleaned it once a week but never paid attention so who knows how long... no bueno

life is all about EVOlution

hearture36

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just want to let all of you know, I went to sprint yesterday and I had the volume button crack and I somehow broke my camera lens. I have insurance on my phone and no questions asked they fixed my phone right in front of me for free! So if you guys have insurance on the phone the just take it on over and they will fix it.

P.S. Just to let you know I wouldn't go in with a rooted phone like I did, the guy didn't notice until he had fixed my phone and put the battery back in but he told me that he shouldn't have fixed my phone for free for me but let it slide for me.

maxima2k53

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
does anybody have a rubber case that has the crack. all i see are people with the hard cases that have cracks, i got a rubber case and i got no crack

tluv004

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Just got back from my local Sprint store with this exact issue, unfortunately they won't have any replacements until tomorrow.

At first the rep called it physical damage and that they couldn't do anything. Luckily I looked at their two display units while I was waiting and noticed that one of them had the exact same hairline crack. Upon questioning the rep about how the display unit had the exact same issue as me if it was my own fault, he was quite surprised to see the same issue. He brought a tech out to look at it, to which the tech called it a "weak point" and said they'd exchange it as soon as they got some more Evo's in.

To sum up, if you have this issue and want an exchange and the Sprint store is claiming that it is physical damage, check their display units in store. I probably got lucky with this but definitely check.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this IS an issue with a number of EVOs, probably a small number and dependent on how the power button is pressed. HTC could have eliminated this issue by simply making the power button stick out just a bit more so that it would take less force on the phone casing to press it.

It is a common issue with HTC phones. I had the Touch Pro 1 & 2 and both of my phones had the same hairline crack. Noticed the display had the same crack but they would not exchange phone. I really don't like HTC products because some of them are cheaply made and they ALL have poor battery life.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It is a common issue with HTC phones. I had the Touch Pro 1 & 2 and both of my phones had the same hairline crack. Noticed the display had the same crack but they would not exchange phone. I really don't like HTC products because some of them are cheaply made and they ALL have poor battery life.

I disagree. Have you looked at the poll? 81% of responders report that there isn't a problem. Saying it's a 'common issue' isn't correct for most people. I've had the EVO for 4 months now, the Touch Pro 1 for almost two years and the 3125 prior to that. No cracks.

tluv004

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I disagree. Have you looked at the poll? 81% of responders report that there isn't a problem. Saying it's a 'common issue' isn't correct for most people. I've had the EVO for 4 months now, the Touch Pro 1 for almost two years and the 3125 prior to that. No cracks.

Ok that's you and your lucky. To me if more than 10 people have the issue its common. That's just my opinion.

weirdia

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If less than 20% of this poll has the crack, then I reckon a far less percentage has it in the general population. That's because there's a good chance readers came to this thread because they have the crack (as I did), so a disproportionate number of the thread's readers will test positive, so to speak. Of course when see 100 messages from users who have the problem, it feels like it's happening to everyone. I showed it to a Sprint Store rep once, and she didn't seem to be aware that it's a common defect.

That said, both my son's and my Evos (bought on June 4, Evo's first day) have the crack. I'm convinced it's a defect and has nothing to do with handling or use of a case. He never used a case, and mine had the crack mine before using a case. I'm extremely careful & gentle with mine. Anyway, the crack is minuscule -- many users have to be told about it before they even notice it.

KingGrimlock

May 8, 2010
Visit site
i don't know about most of the other voters, but i didn't have a crack at the time i voted but now i do. there's no way for the polls to reflect that because we can't vote again. so simply going by the polls is incorrect.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
i don't know about most of the other voters, but i didn't have a crack at the time i voted but now i do. there's no way for the polls to reflect that because we can't vote again. so simply going by the polls is incorrect.

If you would like I can reset the voting... I was the very first one on any forum to post this issue and therefore many people did not have the cracks at the time they voted. If i had to guess if the poll was reset today that it would actually be closer to 50-50