I recorded this amazing video of a shark feeding in a key west marina only to find it lagging for 10 - 20 secs at a time! So frustrating. It has happened on numerous other videos I have tried to record but any time I try to make it happen it doesnt. Only when I REALLY want to record something. ARGH!

I have searched like crazy for reports of similar problems to no avail. Similar things used to happen with my pre as well. I hope this is a memory issue that could be solved with a higher class sd card. Otherwise I thought it could be some sort of process going on in the background zapping resource needed for the capture check it out and let me know what you think.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    06-30-2010 11:57 AM
    I have the same problem!! I tried testing the 720p recording after the update, and it lagged on me 2 out of the 3 times. I was going to post a topic on here about it, but I guess you beat me to it.
    06-30-2010 12:18 PM
    Oh man yours is happening more often than mine. My tests today had little 1 sec lags plus some odd artifacts occasionally. How full is your SD?
    06-30-2010 12:24 PM
    Not full at all.. I've only used 5 gigs on Music/Movies/Pics and its a 16 gig card. I just watched your video and it looks like a bigger version of my problem. I only took about a 30 second video to test with and it lagged for about 10-15 seconds altogether.

My phone IS rooted though. I dont know if that could be the problem. Is yours rooted?
    06-30-2010 12:29 PM
    nope no rooting. Just standard evo and sd card. What class is your 16? I have read about some sort of buffer in the system to get around the write speeds of class 2. Perhaps we are asking too much from the buffer if the system has something going on in the background.
    06-30-2010 12:41 PM
    I have a class 2. I actually do think I read somewhere that the latest update to the Evo increased the bitrate for MPEG4 videos recorded from 6MBit/s to 8MBit/s.. but recording with H.263 is still 6MBit/s.

Maybe we should try just recording with H.263? It should be under settings > Encoding Type when you're in the video recording app.
    06-30-2010 02:02 PM
    Well upon connecting my phone to my computer (windows 7) I noticed that the computer was detecting errors in my sd card. I ran the check disk as suggested with both the fix file system and attempt to recover bad sectors boxes checked. A quick check with 2 1:30 long videos showed NO stuttering and no odd artifacting. Again, my problem with videos was very random so I am not convinced its fixed yet. I will continue to record and let you know what I find.

I can remember having problems with double twist and possibly pulling the phone off of the computer before it was ejected once or twice. If you have had similar issues I recommend running the check on the SD card.

Let me know if your issue clears up as well.
    06-30-2010 02:06 PM
    oops, didnt see your previous reply. I just checked h.263 out and the max resolution is only 352x288. That'll def drop the bitrate, ha. Gotta get the 720p working. On an aside, I have numerous vids at wvga with no skipping at all. I have only seen skipping at the highest bitrates (720p).
    06-30-2010 02:07 PM
    I took some yesterday and thought they looked great and no skipping. I jsut looked at my settings and was on wvga. I set to 720P and will give a try now. Curious as to how much better they will look on this screen. . .or is this more for plugging in via HDMI to a bigger screen to actually see the difference
    06-30-2010 02:27 PM
    Welp unfortunately my videos started skipping again. This time I formatted the SD within android. Since then I have shot close to 20 min of 720p with no skipping at all! Im chalking this up to the memory, very doubtful to be the phone itself.
    06-30-2010 03:12 PM
    This is why I paid extra for a class 6 card.
    06-30-2010 03:26 PM
    I'm noticing skipping even when i record for 30 seconds. But it got better as I kept attempting more and more videos. By the time I got to the 3rd test video, it didnt skip. On a lower resolution, the video didnt skip at all.

I checked for disk errors and there were none. I used auto task killer to kill all of my open apps to free up memory before I started to record.

All in all, im with starks on this one. i'm voting for memory.
    06-30-2010 03:26 PM
    I just tried 720 for like 40 secs just panning around my office and didnt see any skipping.
    This is on the stock SD card.
    06-30-2010 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD