File Transfer over Sprint Network

ZimLanfire

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Greetings everyone!

I'm looking for the easiest way (apps etc.) to access files on my PC from my EVO across the Sprint network.

To clarify:

I'm wanting to access and transfer files when I'm not home on my own WiFi network. I'm not looking to control my PC from my EVO but simply transfer files from my PC to my EVO on the fly, from anywhere; with a free app if at all possible. I didn't want to do a full-on Remote Desktop app for stuff I'm not wanting to use.

What can I do/use?

Thanks!

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
If you Just want to use the Evo for smaller files Dropbox is great. If the files are larger then 10mb each I think you'll need a better solution. I love dropbox though!

ZimLanfire

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm really wanting 'online' access to my music, videos, and even my documents over the Sprint network. I'm not wanting to STREAM music and videos as much as I'm wanting to be able to download them to my Evo whenever I want/need them.

Dropbox is good, like you said, for smaller files, but I'm not into uploading my library in order to access them.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Err... well, you're not really giving a lot of details to be honest on how your home computer is setup.

1) You can use a web/cloud based service. Software such as Dropbox, Windows Live Mesh, Windows Live Sync, or Orb might be what you want here.

2) FTP server. This meets all your requirements: Free and Download/Transfer on Demand. The caveat here is, you need to know how to:
a) setup an FTP server
b) setup your home network such that your FTP server can hit the internet. i.e. setting up a DMZ, or allowing for port forwarding TCP 20 and 21.
c) setup a way to resolve the FTP server IP address from anywhere from the internet. i.e. dynamicdns (ddns.org or something like that, can be found via google)
d) install ftp client or file manager on your Evo

So, the beauty of option #1 is that it'll handle all the connection nuances by itself. Of course, these service providers need to stay in business somehow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae