finally saw an EVO.. not impressed with UI performance

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Too bad that people who don't have something constructive to say sit around making stupid comments but that's the nature of the Internet. I don't know how it is so many tweens got their hands on an EVO anyway.

Anyway, to your questions...

I also came from the Treo 800W. My big concern was the lack of keyboard. But I've gotten over that for the most part and the large list of benefits really outweigh the few negatives. The 800W now feels like a toy when I pick it up after having the EVO for almost a month.

Hardly ever browsed on the 800W unless I was desperate because of the small screen. I've been thrilled with the EVO. With a halfway decent connection or better, web pages load quickly and panning around with the stock browser is fairly smooth. Definitely smooth enough for a good experience. Not many people read web pages while flicking them around the screen.

I also installed the Dolphin HD browser and it's even smoother than the stock one. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't handle zooming on columns of text as well as the stock browser. The stock browser just seems to get it right every time. Either one is a good choice and there are others available as well.

The rest of the UI is great. I really like Sense and the flexibility it gives me. I used the Scenes function last weekend when I went camping and it worked out great.

There's no way I, or anyone else, can tell you if you'll ultimately be happy with it or any other phone. You have to decide if you want to take the leap or go for something else.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm not trying to get members to predict my satisfaction level if I get an EVO.. Just wanted confirmation on the UI smoothness issue, whether it's on par with the iphone/itouch products.. not a deal breaker for me but just wanted to know if this is typical..

drnez

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine scrolls rather smoothly. I do notice some choppiness when scrolling through webpages though, but its really not that bad. I agree with what others have said, its likely just worse because of an abused demo unit. Remember that Sprint has a 30 day guarantee, so if you don't like it you can always take it back.

The iPhone's major selling point is the smoothness of its interface, and you honestly aren't going to touch that with any android phone (at least not right now). Froyo may change that when they release it for the Evo though.

Also, ignore the morons in this thread, nothing constructive to say and are worse than Apple fanboys in some aspects.

Good luck!

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you will always see an initial stutter when you start to scroll on a page. Part of inertial scrolling is for your to grab the page before it moves which looks like a little hiccup. As far as UI lag -- it is worst when things are running data in the background. No data -- no lag.

teiresias

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what intern HTC put on the task to do the port job of Sense for the EVO, but I hope they weren't offered a permanent position. Sense just seems all sorts of slow and hitchy on the EVO, even though it's pretty silky smooth on an Incredible. Hell, I'll even go as far as to say that it seemed more stable and consistent on my friend's Sprint Hero the one time I tried it.

I get none of the same UI weirdness using LauncherPro as I did with the SenseUI, so I swear by LauncherPro now - not to mention I like the cleaner appearance of LauncherPro overall in comparison to Sense. It's probably still not as flawless as the iPhone in UI "smoothness" (we are still dealing with the 30fps thing after all), but I haven't used an iPhone since my original iPhone back in '07 so I may have overly optimistic memories or the newer iPhones may be even better.

Last edited:

tlan

May 16, 2010
Visit site
the phone is alot smoother after the recent OTA update from last monday. Scrolling is alot smoother and wifi performance is better. The phone is awesome

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No it was the EVO.. they had other Android phones that had even choppier UI than the EVO.. The worst was te HTC Hero running WinMO 6.5 which was just a mess...

Looks like I'll just have to get used to it...

Hey Vincent, is this UI thing also why we don't have a good/smooth performing painting app for the Android? Have you played with Brushes for iphone? I'm hoping something like that can come to Android.
A Hero running WinMo. In a Sprint store. Right. That about destroys any cred. you might have had.

kudosmog

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I notice it, but it's really slight and it's happened on any touch screen device I've ever used including apple products and touch PC's (although I have not used the iphone4).
The EVO's lag is not as bad as the majority of the devices I've used, and is in no way a deal breaker for me.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
A Hero running WinMo. In a Sprint store. Right. That about destroys any cred. you might have had.

Sorry. I'm not upto date on all the 30 million iterations of smart phones out there. Boo no street cred because I couldn't correctly mate an insignificant model to the OS.. whatever it was, it was Windows Mobile 6.5.. and it was crap. Come to think of it, it might not even have been HTC (But I'm pretty sure it was) nice of you to focus on the main point of the post.. LOL!

Oh wait, I forgot the smartphone initiation process before joining these crazy phone forums.. Okay where is that stack of flash cards?

For those who didn't contribute with useless banter - Thanks! It looks like the lag issue might be a toss up, based on the various replies.. UI lag is almost certainly not a deal breaker for me.. I was just wondering of the expected "smoothness" since I'm new to Android..

Last edited:

ohthebaby

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. I'm not upto date on all the 30 million iterations of smart phones out there. Boo no street cred because I couldn't correctly mate an insignificant model to the OS.. whatever it was, it was Windows Mobile 6.5.. and it was crap. Come to think of it, it might not even have been HTC (But I'm pretty sure it was) nice of you to focus on the main point of the post.. LOL!

Oh wait, I forgot the smartphone initiation process before joining these crazy phone forums.. Okay where is that stack of flash cards?

Regardless, it looks like the lag issue might be a toss up, based on the various replies.. UI lag is almost certainly not a deal breaker for me.. I was just wondering of the expected "smoothness" since I'm new to Android..

why do people join the forums if they have nothing good to say always boggled my mind, if you dont like it dont buy it, no need to make posts about a topic that has been gone over 1000000000000 times already dude

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
why do people join the forums if they have nothing good to say always boggled my mind, if you dont like it dont buy it, no need to make posts about a topic that has been gone over 1000000000000 times already dude

You're but just one of the 1000000 people who have nothing useful to contribute on said topic and replies with a generic "if you don't like it, don't buy it"

Yes, just like how you wonder about ppl like me, like-wise I ask "why" when it comes to folks the likes of you.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link.. Do you know if the recent firmware upgrade has resolved this issue?

That post was false. The touch input lag is completely unrelated, and no it's not fixed.

The 30fps cap is not the reason it's not as smooth as the iPhone. The HTC Incredible DOES have the same problem without the 30fps cap. Everyone in this thread who insists their phone doesn't have this smoothness issue is either lying or doesn't realize what smooth is. It's simply not possible with how Android is currently designed.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
You're but just one of the 1000000 people who have nothing useful to contribute on said topic and replies with a generic "if you don't like it, don't buy it"

Yes, just like how you wonder about ppl like me, like-wise I ask "why" when it comes to folks the likes of you.

If your weren't such an arrogant a$$ you may get more help. A good attitude will do wonders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1