07-07-2010 04:16 AM
84 123 ...
tools
    Hi.. long time SERO account holder and my current phone is a Treo 800W.. The EVO 4G finally enticed me enough to give up SERO.

Played with the EVO today at a Sprint store.. apps open/close is lightning fast. Web pages load quickly..

The puzzling thing is the UI re-draw is terribly slow:

1) Scrolling the apps list doesn't resolve in a smooth movement of the icons.. Instead I was treated to stuttery looking movement, as if the CPU can't keep up. But we know it should.
    2) Panning a zoomed-in webpage, (WSJ.com) Moving my finger around in a quick fashion, the page doesn't follow my finger very well. It "sticks" every so often for a split second and totally ruins the browsing experience. My 1st gen Ipod Touch has smooth panning of websites and we know that thing has much slower processor.
    3) Panning in Google map, also results in stuttery redraw and "sticking" every so often and doesn't follow my finger very well.
    4) Panning/Zooming a photo also isn't that smooth compared to my 1st gen Ipod Touch. Perhaps the EVO is displaying a much higher resolution photo instead of just a preview size like on the iTouch?

Perhaps I can get used to the un-smooth UI experience but I definitely expected more. Anyone agree with my feedback?
    07-01-2010 07:59 PM
    It might be partially due to the inexplicable 30 fps frame rate cap that's been imposed upon it. I've also seen the Sense UI blamed for some display lag.
    07-01-2010 08:04 PM
    It feels more sluggish than 30fps.. I work with videos professionally so I'm very sensitive to refresh rates, etc...

Plus it's also not a "constant" low refresh rate, especially when the web page "sticks" for a split second when panning quickly.. is it just the phone that I was using? Or is this performance typical for the EVO 4G? Anyone else experience the "stickiness" that I'm referring to?
    07-01-2010 08:07 PM
    Perhaps I can get used to the un-smooth UI experience but I definitely expected more. Anyone agree with my feedback?
    The demo units at Sprint stores are notorious for having performance issues, so I wouldn't go by that. You have no way of knowing what has been installed or manipulated on them.

The last update addressed some touchscreen issues that led to somewhat choppy scrolling and panning. Now, everything you mentioned runs smooth at least on my Evo.

See if you can get your hands on a non-demo unit that has been poked and prodded at for weeks. I'm sure an employee at the store will have one and will let you play around with it. You should find a different result.
    07-01-2010 08:32 PM
    and.....I loaded a rooted 2.2 on and played around and this motha flies!!!! I mean flies. My Linpack is consistently at 6.9 now. It was like almost 40 consistently in 2.2.
    07-01-2010 08:38 PM
    If you're expecting iPhone/Touch-level of smoothness, you aren't going to get it on Android. It has little to do with the hardware, that's simply the way the OS is. You trade that full smoothness for proper multitasking.
    07-01-2010 08:58 PM
    And you know what? None of what you describe bothers me in the least. Yes, the iPhone scrolls more smoothly. So what? That's all cosmetic; it really doesn't impact the use of the phone.

And it's in USE that Android just smacks the iPhone, IMHO. Far more flexible, far more powerful.
    07-01-2010 09:17 PM
    lol at troll.

Stick with your "treo" :rolleyes:
    07-01-2010 09:19 PM
    You should not buy this phone we already have enough nit picky people around here crying about the 1 or 2 reasons that the phone does not live up to their expectations (as if there is actually a phone that exists that is perfect)

Get an iphone if you want smoothness, good luck making a phone call without any reception though. (oh my I just realized that iphones are not perfect either)
    Jerzyiroc and dmshocker like this.
    07-01-2010 09:20 PM
    So if ur a professional like u say than u should knw that the samples sitting on the store been there since day one also without updates so after a while there u knw like anything been there everybody grabbing, slamming, hitting I mean cmon how many ppl a day **** with those devices???? Not the same as having one new n keeping up with it cause u knw how to take care of it
    cencom14 likes this.
    07-01-2010 09:20 PM
    lol at troll.

Stick with your "treo" :rolleyes:
    The dumbasses of the internet world defaults to the troll charge.
    07-01-2010 09:36 PM
    If you're expecting iPhone/Touch-level of smoothness, you aren't going to get it on Android. It has little to do with the hardware, that's simply the way the OS is. You trade that full smoothness for proper multitasking.
    Thanks for confirming. I had played with earlier Androids and experienced the unsmooth photo panning. Didn't realize it was an OS thing. I'm curious why that is since games and videos on Android doesn't exhibit the choppiness. It's only limited to the UI components.

So looks like waiting for the Samsung Epic 4G will probably won't result in smoother UI? I should just go with the EVO now..
    07-01-2010 09:38 PM
    No, at least not until Froyo (although Froyo won't make a huge difference either). EVO will be getting Froyo anyway.
    07-01-2010 09:51 PM
    Some of you guys are so sensitive. My EVO comes tomorrow and I am jazzed based on your comments. I think the original poster came on here in all sincerity looking for a reasonable response...not soccer moms being hypersensitive because someone dared to criticize their child (phone)!

I do agree that Sprint demo phones tend to be buggy. It made me delay in purchasing the PRE. Plus all the cell phones being used in that one area can distort the performance of the browsing experience.

All in all, my girlfriend purchased an IPHONE4 and I played with it yesterday and loaded iOS4 on my 2nd gen TOUCH. I would say that the EVOs I have seen were as smooth, but that's kinda of Apple's thing (Leopard, iOS4, mini..etc). I just remember that there is no perfect device. Oh...and I chuckle because she has dropped a total of 12 calls with me in 5 days and at least 3 times said, "My phone is about to cut off because the battery is low...".
    07-01-2010 09:55 PM
    Are you sure you weren't playing around with this phone? That I could understand, but thinking that an EVO is slow is just rubbish...

Android Running on HTC HD2 (Video))
    07-01-2010 09:57 PM
    Are you sure you weren't playing around with this phone? That I could understand, but thinking that an EVO is slow is just rubbish...

Android Running on HTC HD2 (Video))
    No it was the EVO.. they had other Android phones that had even choppier UI than the EVO.. The worst was te HTC Hero running WinMO 6.5 which was just a mess...

Looks like I'll just have to get used to it...

Hey Vincent, is this UI thing also why we don't have a good/smooth performing painting app for the Android? Have you played with Brushes for iphone? I'm hoping something like that can come to Android.
    07-01-2010 10:00 PM
    You don't want to do this, so don't. If you go into anything believing you won't like it, you won't. And you are more convinced you will hate it than anyone.

The 10,000 great things will never be good enough for you. Enjoy you old Palm. I sure did.

You will know if and when you will be ready to move on.
    07-01-2010 10:04 PM
    You don't want to do this, so don't. If you go into anything believing you won't like it, you won't. And you are more convinced you will hate it than anyone.

The 10,000 great things will never be good enough for you. Enjoy you old Palm. I sure did.

You will know if and when you will be ready to move on.
    Sorry friend.. but I loled at your comments.

The fact is.. choosing a phone is largely based on knowledge of said product. This is precisely what I'm doing on this forum. You don't need to waste your energy replying. No actually, I insist.
    07-01-2010 10:07 PM
    That demo unit as been to Hell and back. My EVO is ultra smooth and ultra fast no matter what. No sticking, no delay, etc.

And, I run some rather heavy apps for a phone.

Hi.. long time SERO account holder and my current phone is a Treo 800W.. The EVO 4G finally enticed me enough to give up SERO.

Played with the EVO today at a Sprint store.. apps open/close is lightning fast. Web pages load quickly..

1) Scrolling the apps list doesn't resolve in a smooth movement of the icons.. Instead I was treated to stuttery looking movement, as if the CPU can't keep up. But we know it should.
    2) Panning a zoomed-in webpage, (WSJ.com) Moving my finger around in a quick fashion, the page doesn't follow my finger very well. It "sticks" every so often for a split second and totally ruins the browsing experience. My 1st gen Ipod Touch has smooth panning of websites and we know that thing has much slower processor.
    3) Panning in Google map, also results in stuttery redraw and "sticking" every so often and doesn't follow my finger very well.
    4) Panning/Zooming a photo also isn't that smooth compared to my 1st gen Ipod Touch. Perhaps the EVO is displaying a much higher resolution photo instead of just a preview size like on the iTouch?

07-01-2010 10:18 PM

get an eyephone and thats it!
    see ya
    07-01-2010 10:21 PM
    Too bad that people who don't have something constructive to say sit around making stupid comments but that's the nature of the Internet. I don't know how it is so many tweens got their hands on an EVO anyway.

Anyway, to your questions...

I also came from the Treo 800W. My big concern was the lack of keyboard. But I've gotten over that for the most part and the large list of benefits really outweigh the few negatives. The 800W now feels like a toy when I pick it up after having the EVO for almost a month.

Hardly ever browsed on the 800W unless I was desperate because of the small screen. I've been thrilled with the EVO. With a halfway decent connection or better, web pages load quickly and panning around with the stock browser is fairly smooth. Definitely smooth enough for a good experience. Not many people read web pages while flicking them around the screen.

I also installed the Dolphin HD browser and it's even smoother than the stock one. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't handle zooming on columns of text as well as the stock browser. The stock browser just seems to get it right every time. Either one is a good choice and there are others available as well.

The rest of the UI is great. I really like Sense and the flexibility it gives me. I used the Scenes function last weekend when I went camping and it worked out great.

There's no way I, or anyone else, can tell you if you'll ultimately be happy with it or any other phone. You have to decide if you want to take the leap or go for something else.
    07-01-2010 10:53 PM
    Sounds more to me like an abused demo unit. None of those problems with mine.
    07-01-2010 11:36 PM
    Yeah I'm not trying to get members to predict my satisfaction level if I get an EVO.. Just wanted confirmation on the UI smoothness issue, whether it's on par with the iphone/itouch products.. not a deal breaker for me but just wanted to know if this is typical..
    07-01-2010 11:55 PM
    Mine scrolls rather smoothly. I do notice some choppiness when scrolling through webpages though, but its really not that bad. I agree with what others have said, its likely just worse because of an abused demo unit. Remember that Sprint has a 30 day guarantee, so if you don't like it you can always take it back.

The iPhone's major selling point is the smoothness of its interface, and you honestly aren't going to touch that with any android phone (at least not right now). Froyo may change that when they release it for the Evo though.

Also, ignore the morons in this thread, nothing constructive to say and are worse than Apple fanboys in some aspects.

Good luck!
    07-01-2010 11:57 PM
    I think you will always see an initial stutter when you start to scroll on a page. Part of inertial scrolling is for your to grab the page before it moves which looks like a little hiccup. As far as UI lag -- it is worst when things are running data in the background. No data -- no lag.
    07-02-2010 01:23 AM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD