App question on Evo

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
On my Evo, some Apps keep opening up, after I close them. Qik, I do not have an account with them and don't want one. But even after I force it closed, either ATK or through the system, a few hours later it is back. Amazon MP3 is another. Same thing. I never have even opened that software. I force it closed, it comes back. Sometimes in a matter of minutes. Sprint Nav and a few more do it too (all of them came pre-installed on the phone). I understand you cannot remove them. But why the heck are they opening themselves up? And no, I am not pushing the short cut on the home pages and not knowing about it. I removed them already from there. I can use ATK, put the phone on the charger for the night, get up the next morning and have 10 apps running. All were pre installed on the phone. None of the apps I installed from the market place.

Anyone know how to set the Apps so they are not allowed to open on their own?

Last edited:

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
That's why they are called "bloatware". Nothing you can do about it unless you root your phone and remove them completely. You shouldn't need to kill them off anyway. Just ignore them.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I actually found that my battery life goes down when I repeatedly those apps. I stopped using ATK for this reason. I allow android to do its thing and so far I am getting 18+ hours of moderate use on WiFi.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
WAT...we aren't allowed to uninstall Qik and amazon mp3 downloader???? Is this for real?

NOt that I'm contemplating...I'm not. But still, I think it's retarded to not have that option available if you so choose. I think you can....don't see the harm in it.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If you have not done so, you may want to read this article for some additional information.

Then, before you go out killing all of these bloatware apps again and again, check if they are actually using any system resources. On another article describing Android memory management model, most of these apps are referred as "ghosts"; apps that are hybernating on RAM with out using any system resources.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Open up the apps and check the settings. There may be a auto startup setting that you can turn off, or something like that. I've never seen Qik running on my EVO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome