Call in progress indicator

hanson2713

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
hey, New to android here. I was wondering if there was a way I can see that a call is in progress even when im away from the dialpad screen (for example if im at the home screen). I know that there is small green phone on the top, but i want a large icon so that i dont inadvertantly forget to hang up. Is there a setting or app for this?
Thanks

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just like you said, there's a green phone icon in the top notification bar. If you're away from the dialpad and the call hangs up, the green icon will go away. I'm not sure what you mean by wanting a large icon since the notification bar cannot be resized for different icons.

hanson2713

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I mean I want a large (0.5 inch) (possibly one thats slightly see-through) even on the home screen. I am paranoid about leaving the call active when i dont intend to. I dont mind the large icon obstucting my view.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I realize everyone's wants are different but it seems the notification icon is plenty to tell me when I'm in a call. The only time it isn't visible is when in the web browser, but shows up if I press Menu.

What you're asking for may not be a functionality that could be coded by a 3rd party dev in Android (or any smartphone OS).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My phone hangs up automagically when the person on the other end of the call hangs up, so I'm not sure how big a problem this really is.

hanson2713

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the insight, I have a few more questions.

I also dont see why an overlay wont work, if the weather can be overlayed on the home screen then a call in progess indicator should be too.

if an overlay is not posibble then, is there a way to freeze the phone in the keypad screen while a call is in progress. Basically disabling the multitasking?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because the weather doesn't overlay, it's just a homescreen widget. It won't show up when you're... not on the homescreen.

And again, no, not unless you use a custom ROM. I think you're being ridiculously paranoid about this.

hanson2713

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
so then can there be a call in progress widget? I understand that it will only be on the home screen.
Paranoind no. There have been many instances where I have overheard people after they thought they had hung up.
also can i disable multitasking during a call? - automatically, on every call.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Who actually FORGETS they made a call, anyway? You're talking to a person. Are you going to suddenly forget where this person's voice is coming from? It's not like you can pocket dial on this thing. If you actually use the lock screen, dialing a phone number without you knowing about it is like a magic trick.

You KNOW when your phone call has ended, because the phone app disappears when you end the call.

And no, you cannot disable the multitasking without a custom rom. Because no one in their right mind would actually want that on a multitasking phone.

hanson2713

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Who actually FORGETS they made a call, anyway? You're talking to a person. Are you going to suddenly forget where this person's voice is coming from? It's not like you can pocket dial on this thing. If you actually use the lock screen, dialing a phone number without you knowing about it is like a magic trick.

You KNOW when your phone call has ended, because the phone app disappears when you end the call.

And no, you cannot disable the multitasking without a custom rom. Because no one in their right mind would actually want that on a multitasking phone.

I make my calls while driving. I have no use for multitasking. I was asking whether it was possible, not for your opinion on whether im paranoid or why I would want to do it

posguy99

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I make my calls while driving. I have no use for multitasking. I was asking whether it was possible, not for your opinion on whether im paranoid or why I would want to do it

The question then is why did you buy a phone that has that as one of its primary features?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
If you have no need for multi-tasking, then why would you need to leave the phone screen?

This phone and phone OS was designed to give you options. That's the allure behind Android.

What you want is perfectly feasible and perfectly reasonable--to you, and seemingly to you alone. Unfortunately, that means:
1) there's no native feature for your particular use case, and there probably never will be
2) nobody has made a custom ROM that does what you want, and probably no one ever will

It's perfectly reasonable to know what you want. However, you need to know where the rest of the world is, and you need to know that probably you're the minority. Your choices are to use what's readily available and adapt, or get another phone. Sorry, it's just the reality.

Edit: Oh yeah, what you could do is write your own custom ROM with a custom phone app that does exactly what you want. Or you could pay someone to do this. But I guess mentioning this is moot, because if you were willing to do this, you wouldn't be asking. But remember, Android allows you to do exactly what you want--you have the freedom to write your own software to do this. The limitation here isn't the phone or the software, but the fact that you have a pretty obscure request.