My battery still sucks.

stlfrosti

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I did the update with NO ISSUE AT ALL, EXCEPT>>>> I have to agree with the guys here who are saying their battery is worse, mine went to 35% by 2:00pm and I have been practicing ALL the tweaks and shut down tricks and have 'System Panel', etc. All I did on my phone that drained it was make a few calls!!!

I will give it a couple more days and try the 'Charging' trick but as of right now I have to AGREE with the prognosis that my battery got worse.

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I cant say mine is that bad. But mine does seem a little worse since the update. I am still at anout 30 or 40 % after 13 hours but it seemed to have been about 50% before the update. Not that big of a deal but it is a little worse.

KingGrimlock

May 8, 2010
Visit site
it doesn't really bother me but thought i'd mention that my battery seems to have gotten worse with the update, too. the weird thing is that i use it less now and i have even less stuff running. i removed most of the streaming widgets (i used to have 7 running and now i only have 3). i have build 003.
this is a different issue but i've also noticed my weather widget is messed up. it's half an hour before midnight but the sun is radiating its rays across my home screen.

EDIT: turning my phone off and then back on seems to have fixed the weather.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm convinced that the EVO is just weird with battery usage on it's own. However I think I may have found a SOLUTION.:D:D:D

So out of the box the 1st week: Never experiencing any issues.
2nd week: Started getting bad battery results and last week just terrible with around 5-7 hours of regular use. I did a Factory Reset (DL'ed all my apps plus more as soon as I reset) and the next day got real good results. Even with good results about 10 hours of regular/good usage.

Post Update: Day 1: Got extremely good results, 13-14 hours of heavy usage.
DAY 2: Horrible, terrible results, loosing 30% in 1 hour when my phone was not even being used with nothing running. ( I should add to this that I did leave it on the charger after being fully charged, overnight).
DAY 3 (Today): Good usage and still going 24 hours (UPtime) strong. Have about 25% battery life left. Been texting all day, FriendStreaming etc.

MY G-Talk is always on I don't think that's a main problem.
My Sense (Big) Weather & Clock widget is always running.
I have Auto-Sync on all day.
Screen brightness of about 30%
I do NOT have a Task Killer installed (Didn't do nothing for me when I did install it anyway).

I really think it's all about how you charge it. Someone had mentioned on these forums that "After the phone is fully charged, if you leave it on the charger the phone stops charging and starts to drain even when still connected." Last night I actually made it charge for the 2-3 hours it takes to fully charge and took it right off the charger, went to sleep and woke up this morning and didn't loose a single fraction on the battery indicator on top. Like I said right now it shows 24 hours since it came off the charger and now 20% battery life left.

Try doing what I've tried and report back and see if this helps. Let me/us know, please. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Try This

OK so to any and everyone getting bad battery life try this. When you are not using the data network(WiFi, Weather, Internet) basically when the phone is in your pocket/purse. - Hold the power button as if you were going to turn the phone off and toggle Mobile Network off. Turn it back on if you need the net and then right back off... and yes with this off you can still place calls and send receive sms texts (not mms)

Doing this I, after 12 hours off the charger and a bad signal for the most part; am at 80%

so to recap - (Hold) Power Button>Mobile Network off

carguy4471#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
You know you can go to those battery settings without doing the *#*#4636#*#*.
Just do menu-->settings-->About phone-->battery-->usage ...

Anyway, yeah. Great tips.

Spare parts offers a much more in depth breakdown and you can seperate it into usage types. The most important being partial wake usage.

Agfadoc

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it has to do with the charging circuitry.

I did the battery charging trick and lasted all day long. The only reason I can think of is the charging circuitry or firmware is not allowing the battery to charge fully, making it charge to only a percentage of it's capacity, and the software identifies it as charged fully.

Just my opinion.

Agfadoc

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Furthermore if you look at the sequesnce that HTC is reccomending, they are asking you to top off the battery while powered on to allow the software to identify 100% charge, then they are asking you to turn off the device, and trickle charge it higher. Therefore when you turn the device on again, the software still identifies that the battery is 100%, at maximum battery capacity.

It definitely works, and works very well. I'll continue to do it but I'll bet my money on this.

I am going to try and go all weekend without plugging in again, and then just allowing the internal system to charge it while in standby, not turned off. Then I will be able to see if the charging system is allowing it to charge and "trickle" while it is in standby. Should be a software fix, to turn off the charging system, reset the percentage charged or set back to 95%, and allow it to charge again 5%...

If they had the circuitry trickle while plugged in over night to maximize the charging effect, then I wouldn't have to do it while turned off.

Speculation yes, but I think I am on target.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think it has to do with the charging circuitry.

I did the battery charging trick and lasted all day long. The only reason I can think of is the charging circuitry or firmware is not allowing the battery to charge fully, making it charge to only a percentage of it's capacity, and the software identifies it as charged fully.

Just my opinion.

Is this the same method in my post a few above? If so we may be on to something.

carguy4471#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Is this the same method in my post a few above? If so we may be on to something.

Yes, it is the same method. It is an every android forum that I'm aware of. It's even been seen in replies from HTC when folks have emailed about battery issues. No one is 100% sure why it works, but it nearly doubled my battery life and seems to dramatically increase it for almost everyone that does it. It is supposed to be a "one time" action, so you don't have to do it every morning before you take it off the charger. I suspect I'll give it the same routine once a month or so, just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol