My battery still sucks.

jmjccwatson

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure what happened but after the update i think my battery life got worse. Its drains it in like 6 hrs. I took it off the charger this morning had 100%. It was 32 at 1130. Just wondering if i got the update. It loaded it like it worked but ever since my phone has been acting goofy. Any ideas ?

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Same here....I blame it on GTalk. There are some that are adamant about GTalk not hogging up resources but I strongly beg to differ. The only argument I've heard is Android knows best. :rolleyes:

After update and with GTalk never dissappearing....my battery life SUX!!!

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
What phone build do you have? I had a 0002 build and I had battery problems. I switched it out for a 0003 build and everything is golden.

Check your build like this: homescreen + menu -> settings ->about phone -> hardware info

oddlou

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have an 002 build and my battery life is great. Though I did have an issue this morning with my exchange server causing huge battery drain. Have you tried a hard reset?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it's either:

1. Gtalk running continuously, even if you close it?
2. Trickle effect. If you take it off the charger, it may not be 100%. It may be lower like 90% or 80%

carguy4471#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Battery tricks I found most effective:

-Turn the effing GTalk off! (go into the settings-applications-running services and kill it). Also, be sure to go into the app and tell it not to load on boot, then kill it after.

-If you aren't using Wifi, 4g, bluetooth, turn that stuff off.

-Make sure other apps you aren't using aren't running (Qik, etc.). A good free app for this is called system panel. It's a task killer but doesn't run in the background and suck up battery. There is a paid version, but if you are only using it to kill of apps the free version is great!!!

-Get rid of your contacts favorites widget. This seems to be a battery hog as well.

-Do the battery conditioning trick. Don't ask me why this works, but it does. It works as follows: Charge your battery with the phone on until the light turns green, unplug the phone and wait for the charging light to go out, plug the phone back in, again charge until the light turns green, now power of phone then unplug, wait for the charging light to go off, now with the phone powered down plug it back in and charge until the light turns green, unplug and wait for the light to turn off, plug back in and charge till green again. Do this last step repeatedly. I did the last part 6 times but I've seen 10 times recommended. THIS DOUBLED MY BATTERY LIFE, and most folks see very similar results. HTC has even recommended this. Again, I don't know why it works but it does. It's all over most forums.

-Another great battery saver, if you are comfortable with it is to run a custom ROM. Which one is a matter of preference but all of them are getting greatly improved battery life. I personally run Fresh 0.5.3 and it is stable, fast, and has greatly improved battery life. For rooting help and getting started, head over to the XDA developers site. The answers to any question you have can be found there.

-Turn off/down your sync times!! I didn't do too much with mine, they are all still on but facebook is set for every 12 hours. I don't use gmail on my phone, I find k9 email is much better. But at least look at your sync times and decide what you need and adjust accordingly.

-Keystroke haptic feedback, turn it off. It's found in settings-language and keyboard. This is a battery sink as well. I have normal haptic feedback on, but for typing I turned it off.

Battery tips I haven't tried because I'm already good with what I've done, screen brightness, screen time out, turning off wireless services.

THE MONEY TIPS!!!!: Two apps have helped me GREATLY (aside from the one already mentioned).
1. Setting Profiles - An app very similar to Locale but less than half the price. Let's you set profiles based on GPS locations, times, etc. I set my home profile to automatically turn off GPS, turn on Wifi, crank my ringtone and a few other things. I set my work one to turn off GPS, turn down ringtone and turn on vibrate. This makes sure when I'm at work or home things I don't need are turned off and it does it all on it's own based on preset locations you've setup. Has a little widget so you can easily see it's changed your profile as well.
2. Spare parts - This is a great little free app for checking out battery usage. It's easier than using *#*#4636#*#*. Go into spare parts, and into battery history, to see what is using your battery check other usage and partial wake usage. This app also works as a shortcut to things found in settings without having to go through a bunch of menus. Fantastic App!!

Sorry for the wall of text but I've done a ton of tinkering and these things help me out a TON. Give them all a try and see what works for you. Initially my battery would last from 7AM till noon or so. Now I can easily last from 7AM till I get home around 7PM with some battery to spare (about 30% remaining) and I am a HEAVY user.

Good luck all!!!

Last edited:

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yep mine is actually worse as well. I used to get 10-13 hours everyday, but after the update never higher than 7. I removed a few widgets today which helped some. Battery Life was actually killing my battery. So now just using juice plotter.

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't know why people have battery issues.. Had the phone for 2 days and only charged it once from a full charge.. And I have done alot of pictures and video with Qik... Maybe it is something people are downloading that is popular?

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it's either:

1. Gtalk running continuously, even if you close it?
2. Trickle effect. If you take it off the charger, it may not be 100%. It may be lower like 90% or 80%

I did the trickle effect like 5 times today and by 12:00 aftering having unplugged it at 9:30....it shot down to 50%.

carguy4471#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep mine is actually worse as well. I used to get 10-13 hours everyday, but after the update never higher than 7. I removed a few widgets today which helped some. Battery Life was actually killing my battery. So now just using juice plotter.

I haven't done the upgrade yet, but possibly it reverted some setting somewhere?? I would double check sync setting, etc. to make sure it didn't turn some stuff on you had turned off. GTalk is the first thing that comes to mind.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't done the upgrade yet, but possibly it reverted some setting somewhere?? I would double check sync setting, etc. to make sure it didn't turn some stuff on you had turned off. GTalk is the first thing that comes to mind.

There is no way to effectively kill off GTalk for good......well since the update.

Some will say "you're confusing the two...there's Gtalk app and Gtalk service!!" which is foolish because when you go into Running "Services" everything there is going to say XXXX Service. If you have an app that uses some kind of sync...it's going to name that app with Services at the end. Use TiKL Talk....go into Running Services it's going to say Tikl Talk Service, same for anything else.

I and many others want Gtalk to go away and go away for good. Not spring up again. Then there's "Oh...but that's cause you're signed into Gtalk". NO.....NO I AM NOT!!! I've never voluntarily signed in and as soon as I found out that the phone by default did...I unchecked that option and hasn't been checked in for more than 2 weeks.

But meh....don't even know why I'm bothering with this again. It's just me....Android knows best. :rolleyes:

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am having major battery issues as well ... since launch day ... Ive tried so many of the "batery tips" but there is so damn many and everyone finds different ways for THIER phone ... I finally went today to exchange my stock RED battery for a replacement to see if it was the battery itself ... One question ... Is there a way to see if a particular app is draining the battery more than another ... I hate to turn everything off to get better battery life ... damn ... but at this point Im willing to just say F-it and buy the 2fer deal on ebay and do a couple mid day swaps as an everyday routine .

Sidenote ... Is it that impossible to have a solor powered charging device for these damn phones .

carguy4471#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having major battery issues as well ... since launch day ... Ive tried so many of the "batery tips" but there is so damn many and everyone finds different ways for THIER phone ... I finally went today to exchange my stock RED battery for a replacement to see if it was the battery itself ... One question ... Is there a way to see if a particular app is draining the battery more than another ... I hate to turn everything off to get better battery life ... damn ... but at this point Im willing to just say F-it and buy the 2fer deal on ebay and do a couple mid day swaps as an everyday routine .

Sidenote ... Is it that impossible to have a solor powered charging device for these damn phones .

Solo, read through my post earlier in this thread. I mentioned a few apps that will help you out. "Spare Parts" specifically will tell you how much battery is being consumed by what. It's a free app on the market. Also check out the free version of "System Panel". If you upgrade to the paid version it'll plot battery history as well, but the free version is a great tool.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
2. Spare parts - This is a great little free app for checking out battery usage. It's easier than using *#*#4636#*#*. Go into spare parts, and into battery history, to see what is using your battery check other usage and partial wake usage. This app also works as a shortcut to things found in settings without having to go through a bunch of menus. Fantastic App!!

You know you can go to those battery settings without doing the *#*#4636#*#*.
Just do menu-->settings-->About phone-->battery-->usage ...

Anyway, yeah. Great tips.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Solo, read through my post earlier in this thread. I mentioned a few apps that will help you out. "Spare Parts" specifically will tell you how much battery is being consumed by what. It's a free app on the market. Also check out the free version of "System Panel". If you upgrade to the paid version it'll plot battery history as well, but the free version is a great tool.

Thanks ... I downloaded ' Spare Parts ' about a week ago but never looked into it ... I will do that RIGHT NOW .

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure what happened but after the update i think my battery life got worse. Its drains it in like 6 hrs. I took it off the charger this morning had 100%. It was 32 at 1130. Just wondering if i got the update. It loaded it like it worked but ever since my phone has been acting goofy. Any ideas ?

Do a factory reset..... Right out of the box my EVO easily got 12 - 14 hours a day of battery life. Just in case I ordered a spare back up battery. After about 10 days on the stock battery I swapped it out for the Seidio so called 1750 mAh battery... With it I got the same 12 - 14 hours of battery life... No problem.. Then I swapped batteries again after another 10 days and back to the stock battery... All of a sudden I was getting less than 6 and only about 4 before having to charge it up...

When I looked up my battery life the awake and up times were exactly the same... The phone was staying awake for some reason. Installed ATK and killed every thing.... Still after 4 hours it went from 100% to 15% like clock work... I went from charging once a day to 2 - 3 times per day EASILY.. Installed spare parts and under "Partial Awake" usage the top block was all the way blue but it didn't have any thing written in there it was just blank (right now the top block says "Android System" and is only about 1/16th blue.

Since I had no way of knowing what was running and killing my battery I resorted to a factory reset.... After doing that I am back to getting 12 - 14 hours and after the update on the 28th I am getting slightly better battery life... maybe more in the 14 - 16 hour range...SOME THING got hung up in the back ground and I couldn't pinpoint it exactly... Factory reset fixed it right up...

Now if this becomes a habit and I have to do a factory reset once a month I am going to be pissed.... but try that and see if it helps your battery life...

and I don't have any thing turned off except the 4G radio and WiFi when I am not at home.. When at home I turn the WiFi on and seem to get better battery life on WiFi vs the 3G radio.... I also keep my screen to a lower light setting, it's not at full brightness unless I truly need it.... 90% of the time the slightly lower setting is just fine... but to each his own on that....