1st Month with Evo & Data Usage...more than ok with the $10 "tax"

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just received my first bill with Evo data usage and I also see that the $10 complaints have died down a bit which is probably for the good.

Data with my BB Tour previously averaged around 0.8gb/month, and somehow I have now managed to chew through about 14.2gb this month without tethering. I originally moaned like everyone else in regards to the added 'tax' however at this point, a $10 charge for premium data seems to be quite justified.

Anyone else experiencing an incredible upswing while using the Evo? Damn I love this phone!!!!!!! :D

v3ritas06

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually just got my yesterday, but realized how i'll get my money's worth: I have free accounts with DropBox, SugarSync, & ZumoDrive, so i plan on coping a movie into each service before leaving for work / school & then when i get bored... I'll have something to watch & then delete once i'm done. Boy i love this phone ;)

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually just got my yesterday, but realized how i'll get my money's worth: I have free accounts with DropBox, SugarSync, & ZumoDrive, so i plan on coping a movie into each service before leaving for work / school & then when i get bored... I'll have something to watch & then delete once i'm done. Boy i love this phone ;)

What is all this stuff you speak of.
mr_burns_sneaky_avatar_100x100_14710.gif

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I used over three gigabytes and I usually only use about one. Glass to be getting my moneys worth!

lawdawgmon

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
It seems worth it to me too. 90% of the time I'm near WIFI, but for that 10% when I'm not, the 4G is nice. Sprint TV and other videos have never looked so nice. Thanks to WiFi I'll never use too much data, so for me it's all about having the 4G when I'm away from WiFi.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Been using Wifi since I'm at home during the summer most of the time.

However, once school starts. Heh... I'll be at around 14gb like you.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
I do mind the charge because it is not honest. On my Pre I used several GBs a month, as i was paying for an unlimited data plan. Now that I have an EVO, I'm not downloading any significantly more data (if anything I'm downloading less via the Sprint Network because I try to stay on WIFI as much as possible to keep the battery life up).

With 4G phones, we are now paying for the use of the phone itself, not the data, because the data has always been unlimited AND Sprint claims the $10 charge is NOT for the 4G data stream (as it applies to those that have no 4G access or those that choose not to use it).

Sprint just needs to be honest about the charge and say that users are paying a monthly fee to use a certain level of phone OR that the fee is an for an anticipated higher use of data OR that the data plan is just increased in price.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree, $10 a month is more than reasonable. This godlike phone replaces my laptop and I'm not kidding. If this phone had a #@ussy i would you know what lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with the fee since no one forced anyone to get the Evo.

I can't imagine how you managed to go through 14 gigs. I consider myself a power user and use the phone A LOT and still have never managed to go through that much.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind the $10 because the plan is still dirt cheap, but I got charged some prorated amount for some reason from like June4th-June9th or something. Is this because every account on Sprint runs from the same day of the month? I'm too lazy to log into my Sprint account right now, but I think it was like the 9th?

My bill for this past, first month with Sprint comes to like $140.

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with the fee since no one forced anyone to get the Evo.

I can't imagine how you managed to go through 14 gigs. I consider myself a power user and use the phone A LOT and still have never managed to go through that much.

One word...Slingbox

It has really shot up my data usage and I really was quite surprised upon opening my first e-bill. I immediately looked at past months to make sure I wasn't crazy but I use this thing for everything...World Cup while at work, streaming radio stations during the day, I don't open my laptop anymore and it really has taken place of every gadget. I even sold my iPod Touch...who needs it? Android will have the same software shortly!

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Does Slingbox have a bad effect on battery?

I want to be able to use my phone more as a mobile PC. I didn't want to ORB or Slingbox because streaming made me think of my battery.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint just needs to be honest about the charge and say that users are paying a monthly fee to use a certain level of phone OR that the fee is an for an anticipated higher use of data OR that the data plan is just increased in price.

From Sprint:

If you buy the Sprint 4G EVO, you have to pay this $10 charge each month. This is specific to the device. It’s not related to whether you are using 3G or 4G. It is required if you have the phone.

Because the phone has a faster processor, a huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megapixel camcorder/camera, we expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with our other devices. These features will give you capabilities that have previously never been available on a wireless device and we think they provide a premium experience. (Remember, this is the world’s first 3G/4G Android phone.)

Seems pretty honest to me. It's the internet blogs and whatnot that originally erroneously labeled it a 4G tax or something.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar