Changed from Evo 002 to 003, why does the screen look better

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got a replacement Evo. The 002 model started having data connection issues. So I got it replaced with a 003 model. Now, why does the screen seem brighter, sharper, and better color?

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
No, I had both the 002 and 003 running at the same time. The Best Buy phone guy said the screen looked better on the 003 too. Also some really hot chick in a really short skirt almost falling out of her top. She was getting an Evo and said she wanted one of the 003's because the screen looked better to her as well. She made the guy check before she accepted it. I was too distracted at that point to care....

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
just like the 002's are the ones with the all the issues, mean while my 002 has been flawless since launch day. placebo effect dude, placebo effect

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
After reading all the bad things on the 0003 screens, I fully expected my new Evo to look crappy compared to my 0002 model with the rising screen. But then I compared the two and if anything, the new one looks a bit better even than the old one.

How do you tell if you have a Epson or Novatel?

Also, for some reason, this thing benchmarks better than my old one did and they have the same amount of apps on them. The differences are fairly small, but noticeable gaining between 1 and 1.3 fps consistently in Neocore, and scoring higher than an Incredible in Quadrant. I think it did 532 whereas my old one never broke 530.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
epson is better imo... 002s have a purple tint to them. Some people might think that's better because colors come out looking darker because of the tint, but I like things to look brighter and how they're supposed to. For example... look at this pic below where the one on the left is nova and right is epson... then look at the screenshot under it. The wallpaper, clock background and menu bar are not supposed to be purple is all i'm saying. So while people may have a preference for 002, it does not mean 003 sucks at all. I'm sure there are just as many, if not more who think 003 is better. A lot of people hear 003 sucks and then they start freaking out about it without checking anything out. I know there are different opinions, but hopefully people aren't just returning and complaining simply cuz they don't have the one others say is better....
002and003-550x366.jpg

snap20100530_094626.png

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
it's all preference.. the epson has the capabilities of showing the home screen with the purple tint obviously, if htc decides to change sense into that color it could, but it looks like the novatech is stuck having that purple tint not displaying correctly....

epson = displaying things correctly, colors and everything
novatec = displaying things with a purple tint chaging shades of colors

so which screen is better?

IMO epson for displaying correctly but novatec is more "pretty"

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting. I had never noticed the purple tint in the 002 model before. I have the 003 and love the screen. But I Di remember seeing pictures of the EVO when it came out and it did look more purple. I just thought that's how it was supposed to look. Glad I got the later model.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well obviously I stand on the other side of the spectrum-- I do not see the purple tints on the nova screen. I see crisper colors that are deeper and darker and more vivid. The epson to me is dingy-- They have looked at the physical specs and the color contrast-- pixels are higher on the nova. I think the epson has a little better battery life.

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Like I said before, my 0002 and 0003 looked exactly the same. Could someone please tell me how to check whether it's Epson or Novatech? I am pretty sure my 0002 had an Epson as well.

rpmorri#CB

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Download Android Terminal Emulator (from the market), run proggy, type dmseg and hit enter.

Look for a line that says <7> and lists mddi. It's Novatech if it says Nova, Epson if it says Epson.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463