I know the Nascar app is bloatware to a lot of people, however, I am a Nascar fan and will be attending the event in Chicago on 7/9-10. I am looking to try and use the app as a replacement for my scanner if I can. I have noticed some errors when trying to load live audio. Has anyone tried to the same thing as me? What success have you had?

Sidenote: Does Sprint put up 4G at the tracks they host for the weekend?
    07-04-2010 09:18 AM
    I think I would stick to the scanner if I were you. There will likely be quite a delay in the audio you get from the Nascar app.

Also, you better have a couple extra batteries with you if you are going to sit there and stream audio for a whole race.
    07-04-2010 09:48 AM
    +1 on the battery front.
    i fired up the nascar app at vegas a couple of times. the delay is anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/2 laps behind. you can get a scanner for $35 loaded with all driver frequencies as well as the broadcast and the emergency track officials. its really the best way to go. don't get the sprint scanner with the screen on it. you can't see it in the sun for crap.
    07-04-2010 10:59 AM
    Stick with a scanner. It is delayed and no where near reliable enough. Either get the Sprint scanner or one from another vendor at the track. If you go to more than one race a year just buy one and be done with it. You can get frequency lists for cheap at the track.
    07-04-2010 11:41 AM
    I was @ the race last night in Daytona and the audio stream from the app didn't work at all.

:|
    07-04-2010 12:45 PM
    I was sitting in my apartment in PA using this application for the Daytona race last night.

Delay or not it's still absolutely amazing to sit on my deck and listen to Jeff Burton's in-car radio. Not to mention choosing from who ever else I want to check out.

I was using my WiFi connection at home and there were plenty of times there was barely any delay, but then there were times (like on a restart) where it was about a half to a full lap off.

My main gripe with the thing is that once your screen locks the application stops working. I turned the brightness down, and with off and on use through the race it only chewed up about 25% of a 75% charged battery. So that's not horrendous. But again I didn't run if for the full 160 laps.

Ultimately if you're at the track I don't how much better the performance will be. I'll be testing that out at Pocono at the end of the month.

I'm going to think it safe to assume that your best bet is to stick with the actual scanner. And if you only go to one race per year the $35 bucks isn't too bad a pill to swallow. If you plan on going more than that you'd likely want to pick up your own equipment.

Racing Electronics - #1 Source For Professional Race Communications - Online Store

But as it regards the NASCAR application on the EVO its awesome when you are sitting at home, a thousand miles from the track, and getting in-car audio.

Now if only Burton and the 31 team can get it together and win some races. It just stinks being at the front every time out, and having something go wrong in the last 20 laps.
    07-04-2010 12:50 PM
    You can get frequency lists for cheap at the track.
    The scanner frequencies don't change much. Apparently the frequency stays with the car, not the driver.

Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site - Scanner Frequencies/Equipment Links
    07-04-2010 12:53 PM
    A few pics from last night!
    07-04-2010 03:46 PM
    Thanks for the tips. I share a scanner with my father so I have that as my fallback. Any word on the 4g coverage at a track? Fyi, burton caused the big one because he wanted to get out of line with 15 left---*****.
    07-04-2010 11:09 PM
    The radio shack booth at the track will also program your scanner for $5 and give you a printed list of numbers. Then if you want to jump to hear Kyle Busch saying something stupid and back to your driver, you can do it quickly
    07-05-2010 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD