HTC Evo like an iPod touch

benh20

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if I could be used like an iPod touch. I would buy it off contract and not get sprint service. I have an iPod touch and it is getting old. If another android would work better your suggestions would be apreciated.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I expect as long as you can connect to WiFi you could still access the Market to get apps. I'm sure you know it won't interface directly with iTunes, and won't play any DRM'd music you downloaded from Apple.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I expect as long as you can connect to WiFi you could still access the Market to get apps. I'm sure you know it won't interface directly with iTunes, and won't play any DRM'd music you downloaded from Apple.

Besides that, its half the price for a new iPod touch with more storage, that you dont have to hope everything you want to do will work on.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Half the price? An 8GB Ipod touch is 200 dollars. An Evo off contract is a lot higher. Truth be told, I wouldn't use the Evo as a dedicated media player anyway, there are other cheaper options.

Ezence01

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I would not recommend purchasing an off contract EVO just to use it as an ipod touch. I have to think there are better options out there, like a Zune HD or any other pmp.

Why do you think the EVO is a good deal as an ipod replacement when it's $500 off contract.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just buy one on ebay that has a bad ESN, you'll get it for as little at 150-200.

Oh, then go for it. A "bad ESN" is not really bad. I had a Bad ESN put on my account before. OR, what you do is take it to cricket. They will take anything. You just have to flash, Mod, Root, whatever the buzz word is now, the Evo for Cricket. Same type of network Sprint uses so I can be done easy. Or Verizon too.

Other then the Sprint preinstalled programs (sprint TV, Sprint Nav, Sprint NFL, Sprint Nascar), you can run anything else of wifi.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Are you crazy man? It cost anywhere from $450 and $600 for a evo, and you have to preorder for it, then when it does come in, you can only get it activated. As far as I know, you can't leave the store with it un-activated. But I could be wrong. Just think, its $400 for a 64gb ipod touch which is a lot better if you just want more space. You would have to be a retard to but a unactivated evo that you can't use with out Sprint then get a ipod touch 64 th

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Maybe there are specific apps for Android he wants to run. Or maybe he hates Steve Jobs and refused to buy anything that has 'i' as the first letter of the name.

It doesn't make sense to me, but it might to him.

Clipp

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
haha benh20, why would you want to use this device without service?? I love the EVO, but I think i'd rather use a zuneHD or iPod Touch...
Kinda curious what features you'd be using most...

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, if you want it simply to play music you would be better off getting an ipod. The music player on this phone works, but is not as nice as the one coming from an ipod or iphone. Not to mention a new ipod touch will be much cheaper since your buying if off contract.

benh20

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
The reason I want to do this is I really want android, and there isn't a viable non phone option for android, that I know of.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I understand the desire to run Android, but unless I'm missing something Android isn't really the best OS for a music/video player. I have an EVO and a zuneHD. I use them both for what they are intended to be used for. I love both devices. Unless Google makes some fantastic changes to Android (and comes up with a service similar to zune pass) I'll be sticking with my Zune for a while. I will admit that the large screen of my EVO lends itself to watching videos, but transcoding them for good quality is a big pain in the butt. I would love if Google comes out with a service for video on Android devices and offered them in native formats playable on the device. Yeah, I just said I want them to do something Apple does. Hey, I guess every company does something reasonably well, right? :p

benh20

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Music isn't that big of a deal, and I rarely watch videos. I would use it more for internet, which as lead me to think of getting a Nexus One unlocked with data only.

Ezence01

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
What about the Archos media players?

They are android and no cellular service.

I would advise against Archos products. Their customer support is horrendous and they have a locked down version of android. They can't access the android market, their new screens aren't very good, and they are resistive screens instead of capacitive.

They are however affordable, but after owning both the older Archos 5 internet media tablet and the new android 5 tablet I will never purchase an Archos product again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech