Who could have dreamed...

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this is my first lustful post about my Evo... and I'm sure many of you have had threads like this... so I hope I am not going to grow redundant with my post...

Who would have ever dreamed that technology would come as far as the Evo. My first computer was a Cirix 188mhz (A beast of a processor for its day), with 64 megs of RAM, and a whopping 1gb hard drive... It was the top of the line when I was the ripe age of 13.

My phone now can take a dump on that top of the line computer from heights unimaginable.

I can take a picture of random objects and instantly pull data from the internet telling me all about it. The camera on my PHONE is twice as nice as the first digital camera that I owned.

I can now video chat with my friends... as if I was watching Star Trek.

I can browse the web as fast on my phone as I can my computer. Lately, my computer barely gets turned on due to the fact that my phone is more convenient than Windows booting up.

I can talk to anyone in the world for free due to VOIP.

Stopping at a gas station and giving up that male pride I have to ask for directions is a silly thing that is long forgotten.

Subscribing to a newspaper is now laughable... along with bathroom reading.

This is just nuts.... absolutely nuts how far things have come. The Evo is my perfect phone/computer/nav/camera/wifi router/video communicator/tv/game console/email device/translator/ friggin' etc.

It just will not stop blowing my mind....

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
And just think, a year from now we'll get something even better.... dual core processors, more memory, even better screens....it's truly a great time to be a smart phone fan!

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
And just think, a year from now we'll get something even better.... dual core processors, more memory, even better screens....it's truly a great time to be a smart phone fan!

Heck Manny, you and I have a bit of a past together. We prowled and owned the Pre forums for a long time there. We are both tech obsessed to an almost unhealthy degree. Lately, my mind has just been blown. I hope I'm not hitting that age where tech is starting to frighten me a bit, but it is. It's just getting so much more awesome at an exponential rate. I'm about 2 years into a computer engineering degree... so I should be starting to understand some of this stuff... yet I'm almost in a constant state of awe at where we're at right now.

Yes, it is a great time to be a smartphone fan. What lies around the corner almost freaks me out.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Atari 2600 > Commodore 64 > Atari ST > Commodore Amiga 500 > XT > 386 DX 40 with 4mb of ram! > 485 DX4 100 > Pentium 100, 133, 166, 200, P3 733, P4 2.8, Core 2 Duo E5300.

I am not gaming on my Computer anymore, got a Xbox 360 for that.

Smartphones.... Sprint Touch > Palm Pre > Evo!

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I can take a picture of random objects and instantly pull data from the internet telling me all about it.

It just occurred to me that I've seen the commercials of people doing this on the Android, but I have no idea how to do it. What app do I need to take a picture of something and look up info on that item? Thanks.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I can take a picture of random objects and instantly pull data from the internet telling me all about it.

It just occurred to me that I've seen the commercials of people doing this on the Android, but I have no idea how to do it. What app do I need to take a picture of something and look up info on that item? Thanks.
Google Goggles

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

tadtam

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Subscribing to a newspaper is now laughable... along with bathroom reading.

:p Some habits are hard to break. Was just "there" reading Wikipedia and playing World War ON MY EVO !! :D:D:D:D:D

My first "real" computer was an IBM JUNIOR...

tadtam

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Just installled it. Unbelievable app.
I took a picture of my old samsung M520 phone and instantly all these web pages with info about it came up...
This is incredible..

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I took a picture of my old samsung M520 phone and instantly all these web pages with info about it came up...
This is incredible..

Yeah, it's neato stuff. Grab Google Sky Map too if you don't have that one.

Essential cool apps: Google Goggles, Google Sky Map, Google Earth, and Maps/Nav.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
My first computer was an Atari 800, and I'd never seen a computer in person till a few years before in my junior year of high school when an oil company donated an obsolete minicomputer to our school. It filled a room, and we added a course in "computer math" to learn how to use it (I didn't take the course). Two years later I started college and took a course on programming FORTRAN using punched cards (which was obsolescent even then--Late 1970s, though I didn't know any better).

First time I was really wowed by a cell phone was about 2002 when I was on a trip to Florida with a girlfriend and used a Sprint phone (don't even remember the model or brand) to access a limited text-based internet and got a current weather forecast and tidal information while we were driving at 55 mph on US 1, the "highway over the ocean" north of Key West. I was passenger, so this was reasonably safe to do!

Some things that particularly impress me about my EVO include:

1) The voice input--Straight out of Star Trek, where I'm barely old enough to remember the original broadcasts of The Old Show. They talked to their computer and it understood them, now I can do the same thing.

2) The Tricorder app. It is just a toy, but it truly does a remarkable number of things (display satellite data, measure and display sound levels, measure and display acceleration, grab real solar data off the internet and display it), and I'd have found a gadget that did it jaw-dropping as a kid. The name and the display design plug into something in the base of my psyche as an old Trek fan. This probably makes me more awe-struck by it than it deserves, but it still amazes me!

3) Google Street View still amazes me, especially the ability to call it up anywhere.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
This is incredible..

Try taking a picture of a business card and see what happens :)

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
look out people.
i got my first computer in 1986. it was a commodore amiga 1000. i was on the internet back then. maybe al gore did invent the internet? you all say, what the heck is that, an amiga? that was a color desktop when monitors on pc's were green, text only command line interface and apple macs were grey. great technology does not mean things will simply evolve forward from here. commodore went out of business. their multitasking, mouse pointer controlled great UI, full color desktop home pc vanished! it was great and futuristic while it lasted. but it didn't last. they did not make money.

pay, if you like and use an app, see if it has a pay version and go for it. i think that will keep us all asking this question, who could have dreamed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995