Newest EVO

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I live close to Sprint HQ in Overland Park, Kansas. I took my EVO over there this morning due to the light leak. I had been on a waiting list for another from a local store, my 30 is up today, as is yours if your ordered, or bought on opening day. Anyway, the store never got one in so I called the main campus up the street and took it over there. I am supposed to go back and pick a new one up tomorrow. The original store played dumb and said they had never seen the screen separation issue. The techs at the HQ had never seen it in person, only online and my EVO is the first they had seen. That isn't my point though.

I was told by one of the techs that HTC is aware of the issue, stopped production for two days to formulate a fix, have done that and the new builds are being distributed now, I am supposed to get one of the new builds tomorrow. We shall see what the build date and number are. They told me even though this is the first they had actually eyeballed, Sprint is aware and plan on exchanges out of the 30 day period.

The entire bottom of my screen is light, it looked worse than what they thought and my bottom corners are slightly raised. Point is, if you have light, exchange it, you should be able to get the newest revised build now from Sprint. Don't know about Best buy or Radio Shack.

sum_n00b

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I exchanged my launch day Evo at Best Buy yesterday and received a 003 with an older build date than my launch day Evo. The light leakage and screen lift on the bottom is even worse than the first one. And Best Buy said I can't exchange the exchange. So I'm at the mercy of whatever Sprint and/or HTC have planned. Hope all goes well for you.

acoleman1981

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Then where is the date listed anywhere else on the device, every forum I've read is that the date on the battery cover is the manufacture date of the phone as well.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what the build date is. It only matters whether you have a good build or not. I have one from release date without any problems, so even if you get an older one if it's in good shape it shouldn't make a difference.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The tech told me the date on the batt cover is the day the phone is flashed, the QC checks are done and ready to ship. I happened to ask that question. I don't know, I just hope the new one stays together. Other than the screen issue, it has been pretty much flawless.

I have a question though. This one has the swype beta on it, will I be able to move that to the new one? That really ended up being the deal maker for me. Until I got swype and used it, I was ready to get rid of this and go back to Blackberries, or wait for the samsung the end of this month, that comes with a physical kb and swype.

acoleman1981

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well actually the build date will matter, because wouldn't you want a phone made after the date in which HTC was made aware of the issue and had made changes to resolve the issue, less likely to end up with another future replacement that way.

sum_n00b

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My first one was a launch day Evo with a build date of 04/28/2010 and hardware version 0002. It had several build quality issues. My exchange (purchased 07/04) has a 04/25/2010 build date with hardware version 0003 (with Novatec lcd) and has been good so far except for light leakage on the bottom.

Last edited:

acoleman1981

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
my first was 5/25/10 and had screen separation issues, as well as light leakage and grounding issues it was a hardware 0003

My new replacement evo is also a hardware 0003 and build date of 6/16/10 and has no issues so far, I've only had this one since Saturday.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
As long as you have only installed Swype Beta on one device you should be good to go, they limit you to two devices.

I have a question though. This one has the swype beta on it, will I be able to move that to the new one? That really ended up being the deal maker for me. Until I got swype and used it, I was ready to get rid of this and go back to Blackberries, or wait for the samsung the end of this month, that comes with a physical kb and swype.

cody

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't let a beta app that is going to expire on two weeks prevent you from getting a good phone.

You can get the apk file from xda, put iron SD card, and load it that way. That's what most people did any how.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary