LED Notificications?

skip259#CB

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Are there any WORKING LED notification apps for the EVO?

I dislike having to press the power button to see if i have any messages or not. What's even worse is whether if dont know if you have messages waiting while the phone is charging. I'm deaf, so it's harder for me to hear any notifications while the phone's on the charger.

I went from a BB to an android, i would have probably at least expected to see some sort of customization for the LED portion of the phone besides Red, amber, and green.

Pointers?

Thanks! :D

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I would like different colors for different messages. Like a color for text, different color for email, different color for voicemail etc.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes, there are lots of LED notifications. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to choose the color of a notification. But blinking green notifications are available for most events.

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
How about this...

Is there any way to *disable* the flashing orange notification when the battery is low. I know it's low, I don't need the notification to tell me (and "cover up" the other notifications in the meantime (you can't see the green email/text notifications when the battery is low)).

It's annoying if you can't disable that...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, it seems to me there's a setting to change the point at which it starts flashing. So when you hit the first warning at 15%, you could change it to a lower threshold.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I sure can't find it anywhere.

skip259#CB

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
this is actually going to be a deal killer for me. I have until the 11th to return my Evo and revert back to my blackberry. I'm willing to bet the samsung epic will have better options.. every samsung phone i've used has had a programmable LED setting for notifications, but i dont know how this will work with the Android OS.

given the amount of time the phone would be on a charger, users *SHOULD* at least be able to see some sort of a LED notification while the phone is on a charger instead of a constant amber or green LED light.

i'm somewhat dissapointed. Handcent LED notification doesnt work. That option is grayed out. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
To each his own, and don't criticize someone because their priorities are different than yours. The Evo isn't perfect. I would certainly like to have multiple color and pattern notifications. If Handspring / Palm could offer that on the Treo 5 years ago, it seems like HTC could have figured out how to do it on the Evo, today. I found it useful, but not important enough to be a deal killer.

If another Android phone offers it, and is a better choice for some based on that, then fine. That's why it's nice to have choices.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Weigh your options folks. I think the pros of the Evo IMO outweigh the other phones' pros. Don't let something so ancillary like a notifications LED seal the deal for ya...LOL.

skip259#CB

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
deaf/hard of hearing people rely more on visuals than audible notifications. do you check your phone every 10-15 mins for messages or just wait until you hear your favorite chime from across the room and then check it? :)

I hope this makes sense now.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I apologize....perhaps I'm being hypercritical here. In my case....if I had ZERO LED notifications....I wouldn't miss it. I'm more of someone who will take initiative to see if there's new stuff versus letting some really small LED light let me know "hey...something's different on your phone (depending on color)". But maybe that's cause I love handling my EVO. I keep close tabs on it. :)

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Lack of a notification LED is why I stayed away from the iPhone for so long and I stuck with my trusty BB. In meetings I cant keep checking my phone to see if something importnat came across or listening for a tone. If the EVO did not have an LED it would be a dealbreaker for me. I hate that it is integraded in the speaker and not on the edge and it is not customizable, but i is better than nothing.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I continue to be baffled at the lack of offscreen notifications on newer phones.

Phones had multiple LED notifications and persistent notifications 10 years ago when basically all there was to notify about was a voicemail or missed call.

Now, you have missed calls, voicemail, texts, multiple email accounts, Twitter, Facebook, Instant Messaging, Weather alerts, and I'm sure many more. Yet with the Evo, and other phones of this era, we get one LED that blinks the same for everything, shuts off after a few minutes, and doesn't work while charging. Coming from the Sprint Pre which had a big fat LED but bizarrely shipped with it shut off for notifications even though the code was there natively.

Does anyone have any logical reason as to why notifications are so hindered on a sleeping phone? Battery? Bogs down the OS? Aesthetics? What gives?

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
this is actually going to be a deal killer for me. I have until the 11th to return my Evo and revert back to my blackberry. I'm willing to bet the samsung epic will have better options.. every samsung phone i've used has had a programmable LED setting for notifications, but i dont know how this will work with the Android OS.

given the amount of time the phone would be on a charger, users *SHOULD* at least be able to see some sort of a LED notification while the phone is on a charger instead of a constant amber or green LED light.

i'm somewhat dissapointed. Handcent LED notification doesnt work. That option is grayed out. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks!

Careful on Samsung Androids.. Samsung Moment has no such LED.. I definitely like the fact tne Evo does have one. Like most thing s, there's an app that'll let you setup how long you want your notifications to last, just can't remember the name of it

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Careful on Samsung Androids.. Samsung Moment has no such LED.. I definitely like the fact tne Evo does have one. Like most thing s, there's an app that'll let you setup how long you want your notifications to last, just can't remember the name of it

And to touch on samsung further they are not great at offering support for their phones... Believe me when I say that... The moment was left in the cold with little support to its multiple bugs... If that is really that important to you maybe blackberry is the better phone... Blackberries are cool I just hate their horrible browsers so I could never have a blackberry as my main phone... Different strokes for different folks..

skip259#CB

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Epic does have an LED notification light next to the earpiece. It looks quite a bit like the BB. :)

I agree with Darth Mo.

Where can i find more info in the samsung epic? Seems a lot of sites are copying info from each other. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol