HTC Froyo Updates Completed "by Christmas"; Gingerbread in Q1 of 2011

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It had to be pulled, it bricked some phones. Now it works.

The original worked... I updated my phone on the 28th at 9am eastern time and not a single problem... Took less than 15 minutes from the time I downloaded until the phone was back up and running with the update....

Not a single problem since.... Grounding issue was fixed and I am getting much better battery life...

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The original worked... I updated my phone on the 28th at 9am eastern time and not a single problem... Took less than 15 minutes from the time I downloaded until the phone was back up and running with the update....

Not a single problem since.... Grounding issue was fixed and I am getting much better battery life...

Some people were prompted to update twice and it bricked their phones. Glad to see you didn't have any issues.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Or learn how to root.

For most people, like myself, it's not an issue of not knowing how to root. It's quite simple actually. But I absolutely refuse to risk bricking my phone just to get an update. Especially considering I paid full price for it.

I called this back when Sprint released their press release saying that the update would be coming soon. My ass. I knew it would be closer to the end of the year than anywhere near the summer. While I am really annoyed that I have to wait until at least Christmas, probably later than that, to get 2.2 when 3.0 will be out at least they're being honest and upfront about it unlike with the Hero.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Some complaining about the Sense UI. I personally like it a whole lot. The best phone mfger applied UI. It could be snappier but holy smokes, it isn't like Sense moves like mollasses. I think all it is is that some peeps want there phone to be as fast as the iPhone 4. I agree...that's nice but doesn't make me envious.

All things considered, Sense has a nice layout and functionality. My hats off to HTC for that.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The problem with this delay is the smartphone market is moving at such a cut throat pace. How enthusiastic will you feel about your evo 6 months from now to get an update already out now? The market will be ahead 2 flagships by then and another huge OS upgrade. Think what you were using 6 months ago and would you still care today if you got a 6 month old update? Hopefully HTC will get out froyo much earlier than end of year.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
See, this is kind of backwards. I think phones that came out on 2.1 that get FroYo all "SENSED" up, will most likely not get gingerbread/3.0. I think this because the biggest improvements in 3.0 are going to be UI and there will most likely have to be a new version of Sense for this.

I hope it doesn't get to the point where HTC is putting Sense back on top of Gingerbread.

Personally I was using the N1 FroYo rom on the Evo for a bit and it's awesome. As soon as the cameras work I'll just stick with it and stay current w/Google, probably not HTC.

That all being said, HTC & Sprint are sured to deliver a ver polished experience using the latest and greatest from FroYo and then in time Gingerbread, but who knows. I'm pretty sure I read that Google is setting the bar higher with Gingerbread, and that phones at a minimum will have to be 1Ghz w/512MB of RAM, I know the Evo fits, but as a first of such a phone who knows if it will work out...