Evo to Epic

dmshocker

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
After all of the hardware issues with the Evo (that some people like me are experiencing), is there anyone who is considering switching to the Epic? If so, how do you plan on switching? Do you think Sprint would allow it due to the long delays in the Evo fix that is being worked on now? Thanks.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
No issues here fortunately. Are the issues really that bad or just nitpicking? Whos to say that the EPIC turns out to be a big pile of ? My phone has been good. A little screen liftage is all. Nothing a case doesnt cover. No dust under screen. I just think jumping from one phone to the next is silly. You could get the Epic on day one and wish you never did. If its past 30 days I dont see Sprint letting you switch.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't expect the Epic will be a big pile, but I suspect it will have some issues, too. I've got no serious complaints about my Evo, except for the lack of a decent calendar app, but that applies to all Android phones.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
"No phone is perfect, each has its strengths and weaknesses. Do the research and buy the one that best meets your most important needs."

Great quote! Sums it all right there!

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Screen and GPU is what the Epic has over the Evo.
I did consider it... but the Epic looks the worst out of all the new Galaxy S phones on all carriers, and that is because of the keyboard.

dmshocker

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Wait, I'm not debating which is better. The epic is better for "my needs" which is why I want it. I prefer the physical keyboard still. (especially a 5 row one :)
I am on a waiting list to get a replacement Evo. I already went in the store and showed them my issues. But I called Sprint recently and they said I would have to wait 4+ weeks because of hardware changes(forgot the exact word they used) they are making on the phones. So if when they call me up to get my replacement and the Epic is out, do you think they would let me get the epic instead?

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
There is no way they will let you switch to the Epic unless you return your Evo within the 30 day return period. If you're within 30 days return it and get a dummy phone or whatever until the Epic is out.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
There are sooooooo many people needing justification for jumping to the NEWEST phone on the block ... If the EPIC is the phone that fits your needs ... Return your EVO and wait for your EPIC ... If you ARE within your 30 days then you have NO problems ... If you are NOT within your 30 days then asking what others are goin to do will not help YOUR situation .. Do what you need to do but do it NOW !!!

edgemaster191

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I dont understand... every phone or new device there will be someone complaining about issues and ready to talk the device down as soon as something else comes out .

My Evo is working great. Not even minor issues to exaggerate on.

I went through five pre's in the last year due to issues.

I think on the internet you only get half the story. The only people posting are the ones with problems or people who feel the need to justify swapping out devices because something new came out.

The internet and forums like these are great for ppl who have problems or questions but sometimes I think it can feel like problems are worse than they really are because you only hear about the down side.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to see that Sprint is offering more choices to its customers, but I for one will not be looking at any other device for a while. The EVO is fantastic! I cannot find one flaw with the device. I am having so much fun with it. I see the new devices coming out and they all look great, but I believe that I have the greatest for now and will sit back and enjoy it.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You are exaggeration about all these hardware issues which only a very small percentage of people experienced, after all it's not like the Iphone which has real issues. If you want to get the Epic which is not all that Epic, get it! I'll stick with my Evo until my next update in June 2011 hopeful there's an Evo2 by then. You need to settle down with one device for at least a year and stop trying to chance technology.

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to see that Sprint is offering more choices to its customers, but I for one will not be looking at any other device for a while. The EVO is fantastic! I cannot find one flaw with the device. I am having so much fun with it. I see the new devices coming out and they all look great, but I believe that I have the greatest for now and will sit back and enjoy it.

Heh, I think that's part of the "problem."

They're putting out new, powerful phones out across every carrier every couple months and for whatever reason people think they're entitled to unlimited upgrades/exchanges.

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Let me knw if u find a perfect phone so I can switch too, I have the 0002 n I have no issues love this beast

brandon12777

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am kinda in this boat of thinking about returning and waiting for Epic. I can totally see both sides I don't really have any major issues and you cant try to keep up with the tech. I do think so people are being a little fanboyish though the Epic has a far superior screen and far superior gpu and what looks like a nice keyboard if that matters to you. It's likely coming out only a few months after the evo I think its a pretty good discussion.

Brandon
Posted from my evo

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I too feel that these issues are being blown out of proportion. If people are gonna keep jumping from phone to phone cuz it's the new device out, then they're gonna be playing cat and mouse their whole life. Really sit down and think about what you really need out of your phone. If you really want a fast GPU for gaming, get a 360 or ps3 cuz there is no way you will be playing games on a cell phone like how you would do on a gaming console. And if that's you're argument, gaming and triangle pushing, then, good luck with battery life on you phone, or wait, that's gonna be a huge issue and there will be a lot of returns for it. Good luck

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I *almost* decided to buy the EVO. Granted, the Epic looks great so far on paper and from reviews on other galaxy phones (not EPIC but very similar) 2 main reasons I'm going to wait for the Epic are:

1) Epic should have a superior camera out of the box. EVO might get improvements via software updates, but as of right now, the video from the EVO looks + sounds horrific. The stills while nice, are not as good as the Epic's.
2) Was not impressed with the UI performance on the EVO. Demo videos from the web would indicate the Epic might have greater potential in that area. Not guaranteed.

However I really like Sense UI, Samsung's TouchWiz looks ghetto by comparison.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I am definitely going to wait for the epic mainly because of the gpu being far superior to the adreno on the snapdragon chipset. I don't play a lot of games on a cell phone, but if I do it shouldn't be laggy, especially when the iphone doesn't seem to have a problem playing games or scrolling. Despite the fact that I only play a few amount of games on cell phones, the gpu still helps alot in terms of scrolling, web browsing, rendering images/videos, video playback etc. One thing I wanted from my palm pre was to have no discernible lag when scrolling and going through apps and the samsung epic is smooth as butter, smoother than the evo it appears. The hummingbird processor is also supposed to be a little bit better than the snapdragon's.

Second the screen is supposed to be really nice, definitely better than the evo's, so that's a definite plus. The video camera records video in 720p at 30 fps vs only 24 fps on the evo and has much better audio when recording. The camera is also supposed to be better on the epic as well. I also like the app grid list, albeit it looks like the iphone's app grid, it certainly beats the plain one way up-down app list on the evo.

This brings us to another point, HTC sense is probably better than the touch wiz 3.0 interface, htc weather is simply amazing and many of their widgets add a nice flare to the phone. The widgets on the samsung don't come close to the evo's, but since it is android I do see a lot of different customization with different widgets coming out in the future for the samsung. However, I don't see myself utilizing all 7 screens with tons and tons of widgets on each page, I am mainly going to just use a few widgets and go from app to app, so it isn't a huge deal that htc sense is better than the touch wiz interface. I also prefer the evo's larger screen, but hopefully .3 inches isn't a big deal.

-------

What I like about the evo vs epic

Solid one piece unit, build quality is probably better than the epic's.
Kickstand
2 Led flashes (possibly brighter than the one flash from the epic?)
4.3 inch screen
Speech to text (does anyone know if the epic will support speech to text like the evo?)
htc sense
Higher res camera on the front

Where samsung beats the evo

Video camera/audio/picture quality - smoother scrolling/UI performance
Better gpu
Better cpu
Better screen
Better app grid list

----

All in all I'm not quite sure what I want to do just yet, but imo this a comprehensive list of the biggest differences between the two devices. I am going to just need to play with both phones for a while to really see which one I like.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the Epic too. I want the hardware keyboard. I also want to be able to sit it down without scratching the camera lens. bettery life should be better too with the Super AMOLED screen. I think I read the bluetooth is better too. And Samsung cameras are always better than HTC cameras, even if the resolution is lower.

I'm not going to try to scam an Epic or anything. I'll keep my Evo and use it when I go camping or something like that, I guess. But I am really starting to lean towards getting the Epic when it's released.

Hopefully it won't cost too much full retail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2