Original htc evo 4g stuck in bootloop after custom Rom flash

mp317

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
So first of all I'm sry if this post should be elsewhere, I'm a Posting noob as I've never had to do it before. My dilemma.. in I have the Samsung galaxy note rooted custom rom and previously The same with the captivate. I'm a very experienced flasher when it comes to att and Samsung devices. But not sprint and htc. My problem is my friend asked me to root his evo 4g. The method I found Was a three step method To unlock it and add a custom Recovery With the third step being either root and stay stock or flash a custom Rom. Well he wanted a custom Rom so we picked a team dirt one, put it on the root of the sd card, flashed it using the custom recovery and it all went well. Installed the Rom and made it past the evo 4g screen to the rom title boot screen, where it went into a boot loop. So the phone can still go into recovery, so I know all Hope isn't lost. But is there something similar to odin I can use to go back to stock or just mount it to a pc delete the Rom and put a new one Or stock one on and flash it? Sorry for the long post and lack of detaill. Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Which recovery does the phone have? Clockword Mod (CWM) recovery sometimes has problems so it's better to go with Amon RA 2.3 or Smelkus. There should be links in the Rooting section of this EVO 4g forum. Sorry, I am on my phone and can't get to the link

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Does the rom you loaded have App2SD? If so, you will have to create an EXT Linux partition for it to work correctly. What you are seeing would be an indication that you need an EXT partition.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Your issue: Didn't flash the "Boot.img" file.

My question(s) to you: Are you S-ON or S-OFF? Do you still have the ROM installed on the phone?

Solution: Flash the "Boot.img" file if you are S-ON.

How-to: Download these 3 files from my Dropbox, they are the files that allow you to use the command prompt to access your phone. (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2knxwbynku7597/S-lgwYnuum). Save them in the same folder. Find the ROM zipped folder that you installed and extract the "Boot.img" file inside the zipped folder. Extract it to the same folder that you downloaded the 3 files I have provided. Now, in the folder with those 4 files, hold down Shift and Right Click and select "Open Command Window Here". You will see the Command Prompt. From there, boot your phone into the Fastboot Menu, (it's the menu that says "FASTBOOT" in a banner. Connect your EVO to the computer via USB. Confirm that your EVO shows "FASTBOOT USB" on the screen. Now, type this command EXACTLY AS I SAY. Ignore the ( ), but add the " " when I do. Here is what you type and then hit ENTER: (Fastboot flash boot "boot.img"). You should see "sending..." in the command prompt and a Green bar in the top right hand corner of your phone. When the Command Prompt tells you it is complete, unplug your phone and reboot. This should fix your issue. Please let me know if it did. :)

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Does the rom you loaded have App2SD? If so, you will have to create an EXT Linux partition for it to work correctly. What you are seeing would be an indication that you need an EXT partition.

Yep, that may be the issue. Which Team Dirt ROM did you flash, OP? If it's an ICS ROM, it may need the SD card to be partitioned.

europa48138#AC

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

BrianVT

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Was going to start a new thread, but this seems similar to my issue. Do I also need to follow OperationA7X's suggestion with the 3 files and the boot.img? Here's where I am:

1. Successfully unlocked bootloader through HTCDev
2. Successfully flashed the AmonRA recovery
3. Successfully flashed the Superuser-3.2-RC3-x86.zip, and rebooted completely into the superuser stock look phone
4. Decided to try a custom ROM, and downloaded the GTR TwinTurbo ROM from here: [ROM] DROID GTRv2.0 Twinturbo! (Link Fix! 10-6-12) Tiamat/Bravia/xLoud/Pyramid/Beats/ - xda-developers
5. Booted into Recovery, wiped to a factory reset, wiped davik cache, and successfully installed the new ROM .zip
6. Upon reboot, I'm stuck in a loop of only getting to the HTC EVO 4G screen, and no further
7. Tried wiping everything again, and installing the superuser again, and am stuck in a boot loop with that one as well now, even though it worked the first time

I'm able to get into Recovery by doing vol down + power. What should I do to either a) boot into the superuser again, or b) boot into a custom ROM?

Also, I am S-On

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Was going to start a new thread, but this seems similar to my issue. Do I also need to follow OperationA7X's suggestion with the 3 files and the boot.img? Here's where I am:

1. Successfully unlocked bootloader through HTCDev
2. Successfully flashed the AmonRA recovery
3. Successfully flashed the Superuser-3.2-RC3-x86.zip, and rebooted completely into the superuser stock look phone
4. Decided to try a custom ROM, and downloaded the GTR TwinTurbo ROM from here: [ROM] DROID GTRv2.0 Twinturbo! (Link Fix! 10-6-12) Tiamat/Bravia/xLoud/Pyramid/Beats/ - xda-developers
5. Booted into Recovery, wiped to a factory reset, wiped davik cache, and successfully installed the new ROM .zip
6. Upon reboot, I'm stuck in a loop of only getting to the HTC EVO 4G screen, and no further
7. Tried wiping everything again, and installing the superuser again, and am stuck in a boot loop with that one as well now, even though it worked the first time

I'm able to get into Recovery by doing vol down + power. What should I do to either a) boot into the superuser again, or b) boot into a custom ROM?

Also, I am S-On

Thanks for your help

Yes, since you're S-ON, you have to flash the boot.img manually through FASTBOOT. My instructions are above these posts. You can find the file inside the zipped folder containing the ROM that you are flashing.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
When you're S-OFF, you don't need to manually flash the boot.img file. S-OFF means, in simplest terms, Safety Off. When you are S-OFF, files/ROMS/Scripts are able to edit the HBOOT without permission. That's why its easier to flash ROMS when you are S-OFF. When you are S-ON, you're Safety On. You cannot edit the HBOOT nor change the kernel without doing it manually.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Mitchell Phillips

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Your issue: Didn't flash the "Boot.img" file.

My question(s) to you: Are you S-ON or S-OFF? Do you still have the ROM installed on the phone?

Solution: Flash the "Boot.img" file if you are S-ON.

How-to: Download these 3 files from my Dropbox, they are the files that allow you to use the command prompt to access your phone. (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2knxwbynku7597/S-lgwYnuum). Save them in the same folder. Find the ROM zipped folder that you installed and extract the "Boot.img" file inside the zipped folder. Extract it to the same folder that you downloaded the 3 files I have provided. Now, in the folder with those 4 files, hold down Shift and Right Click and select "Open Command Window Here". You will see the Command Prompt. From there, boot your phone into the Fastboot Menu, (it's the menu that says "FASTBOOT" in a banner. Connect your EVO to the computer via USB. Confirm that your EVO shows "FASTBOOT USB" on the screen. Now, type this command EXACTLY AS I SAY. Ignore the ( ), but add the " " when I do. Here is what you type and then hit ENTER: (Fastboot flash boot "boot.img"). You should see "sending..." in the command prompt and a Green bar in the top right hand corner of your phone. When the Command Prompt tells you it is complete, unplug your phone and reboot. This should fix your issue. Please let me know if it did. :)

I did all of this and I am still stuck with the boot screen flashing on my HTC EVO LTE. I am S-ON. Also, there is no md5 file. Is that causing the problem?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I did all of this and I am still stuck with the boot screen flashing on my HTC EVO LTE. I am S-ON. Also, there is no md5 file. Is that causing the problem?
What rom are you flashing on your LTE. If its CM im pretty sure you s-off. Most roms for the LTE now have a script that flashes the bootimg but it never hurts to use fastboot.
I myself have never used quotations around boot.img but thats not to say it doesnt work

dademurphy

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Just stopping by to say thanks. This worked for me.

It's funny after spending hours on this and observing the boot loop, I kept thinking, man this seems like a problem with the boot loader. Thanks also for the explanation on s-on/off. Had I of known that earlier I would have had a better idea of my problem.

Mike Rodgers402

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I bought this Sprint HTC EVO 4G phone for a couple bucks thinking I was getting a good deal. Well when it arrived in the mail I turned it on to find out it is stuck in bootloop. I don't know if it has had custom rom installed or if it's been flashed for some other reason or not. I have read a few posts but haven't made to much sense to me there for nothing I have tried has worked. I downloaded the 3 files and fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img I then plugged my phone in to the computer. I turned it on and did the fastboot when I do anything to do with communicating between the two, the phone make the sound of disconnecting from the computer. So I can not transfer any files to the phone. This is the information on the phone Supersonic EVT2-3 Ship S-OFF HBOOT-2.10.0001 MICROP-041f TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL03_16ac RADIO-2.15.00.11.19 Oct 15 2010,12:07:00 The rest on the screen is the normal FASTBOOT VOL UP to previos item VOL DOWN to next item and so on. I'm ready to pull my hair out. Please help Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21