New screen or original "older" screen?

CoryBantic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We all know that there are 2 different types of screens that htc has been using for the Evo, the 0002 and the 0003. The reports are that the 0003's are inferior and don't show the crispness of the 0002's. One way that you can tell whether you have a 0002 or a 0003, is to check the hardware info and, I THOUGHT (?), that using the "Power Control" widget's brightess. With the original 0002 screen using the brightness with "power control" let you fade up and down brightness levels, with the new 0003 screens, it flashes to the different brightness settings. When I got mine I noticed it was a 0003 my friend got his white Best Buy Evo today and his is a 0003 as well. The difference? My 0003 fades when I touch the brightness and his flashes to the different intesity levels directly.

My question is this: I've read that to unlock the 60fps it has to be an original 0002, could I maybe have an "inbetween" version that I could still unlock the 60fps? Or not? Does anyone else with a 0003 screen also have this fading feature available?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Not true, for i have the epson screen, and i have the fps set higher.

the easyest way to tell is to load up adb, go into shell and type in dmesg, go down about half way or more and look for the screen manufacturers name. <7> is associated with the screen.

Last edited:

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think some 0003s use the same screen technology as the 0002s.
I think... I might be wrong, that:
0002 -
0003 -

Edit: Scratch that. I'm confused as well.
Edit 2: A quote I saw somewhere.

Novatec (it was what htc decided to go without before they ran out)

Novatec's coloring is warm while Epsons is cool. Therefore the nova has more vivid colors and truer whites, while the Epson has better blacks.

Most computer monitors are recommended to be set on warm colors, so take that for what it's worth. Everyone just freaked out when the initial FPS mod happened to be on a epson (which came about when trying to solve an unrelated problem with the epson + custom kernal) and it just snowballed from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance