View Poll Results: How often do you use the HDMI port for video out?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never have, and probably never will, other than to check it out once or twice

75 72.82%
  • Never have, but if I had a cable I would probably use it regularly

18 17.48%
  • I've used it a few times

10 9.71%
  • I use it all the time

0 0%
07-08-2010 03:08 PM
29 12
tools
    In lieu of HTC acknowledging the software is capping the framerate, how import is it?

Pretty straightforward poll.
    07-07-2010 07:08 PM
    You should add one more choice:

Never have, but if I had a cable I would still not use that often.
    07-07-2010 07:16 PM
    You should add one more choice:

Never have, but if I had a cable I would still not use that often.
    That's covered by the first choice pretty much.
    07-07-2010 07:37 PM
    Never have, probably never will.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk + Swype
    07-07-2010 08:23 PM
    so much as a touted feature by HTC/Sprint. You guys should be using it. It's like if they had a third camera on the back of the bottom for 3D pictures but no one uses it.
    07-07-2010 08:33 PM
    never used it but i sleep better at night knowing its there :}
    thekarens and Uncle Louie like this.
    07-07-2010 08:55 PM
    That's covered by the first choice pretty much.
    Not really. I don't have a cable, so I have no idea how much I would use it.
    07-07-2010 08:55 PM
    I would love to try it out if I had a cable.
    07-07-2010 08:57 PM
    Considering the high fail rate of it even working properly, I've not bothered. I've yet to see a reason for me to use it.
    07-07-2010 08:59 PM
    Never and my TV is HD, but pre-HDMI. Probably will never use it.
    07-07-2010 09:05 PM
    I have a cable and even if it worked fantastically I probably wouldn't use it except to see how it worked or in a very rare situation.
    07-07-2010 09:10 PM
    Not really. I don't have a cable, so I have no idea how much I would use it.
    That's a different situation than what the other poster suggested.
    07-07-2010 09:20 PM
    Not very often, used it twice since I've had the phone, actually four times but 2 of the TVs it wouldn't work on. Plus I wanted to use it mostly to view videos recorded with the phone but with the crappy codec it's not worth using.

sent from AJ's EVO 4G
    07-07-2010 09:21 PM
    It's okay, but the videos that the phone can keep up with only look so-so when blown up on a big-screen tv. And RockPlayer won't output to HDMI, so it's a nuisance to convert videos for the stock player. Still, beats the heck outa the analog video out on earlier phones like the TP2.
    07-07-2010 09:28 PM
    I use it fairly often, youtube and hulu mostly. Those look only fair. Vids I have taken with the phone absolutely suck. The 30fps cap is obvious with the choppy crud it puts out from a phone taken vid. Still pics look good though.
    07-07-2010 09:40 PM
    never used it but i sleep better at night knowing its there :}
    My feelings exactly.
    07-08-2010 12:08 AM
    Does anybody know if they sell this in the shack?
    07-08-2010 12:19 AM
    hulu doesn't work so i don't know what you're talking about
    07-08-2010 12:44 AM
    I think HTC should have included this in the phone packaging.

I also think, the HDMI dock should have been out by now.
    07-08-2010 11:54 AM
    my buddy has a 55" Samsung LED TV. i took some 720p video with my EVO and played it on his TV via the TV's USB port via a microSD card adapter. the TV has a built in Media Player.

why am i telling you this? because you may not necessarily need a micro HDMI cable if you have a TV with above features.
    07-08-2010 11:59 AM
    my buddy has a 55" Samsung LED TV. i took some 720p video with my EVO and played it on his TV via the TV's USB port via a microSD card adapter. the TV has a built in Media Player.

why am i telling you this? because you may not necessarily need a micro HDMI cable if you have a TV with above features.
    There are probably a half dozen alternatives. HDMI from the phone is the simplest (if it works).

But here are the impediments I can think of:

1. They didn't include the cable which is relatively unique. If I bought the cable, I wouldn't be able to use it for anything else because of the micro-HDMI end. At the least, they could have included an HDMI to micro HDMI adapter. If that's possible.

2. Rather just dump the video to a home theater PC or laptop to connect to the TV rather than having to tether your phone to the TV.

3. It's not going to work on grandma's 1998 Zenith.

4. How often will people actually shoot video using their cell phone that's worthy of a 46" TV. I suppose there's high quality YouTube, so this one is a wash.

Not a bad idea overall, but if it permanently hinders operation of the rest of the phone it should have been scrapped for DLNA or something.
    07-08-2010 12:21 PM
    I really don't think I will ever use it on mine.
    07-08-2010 01:02 PM
    i think it would be nice for parents to take spontaneous video of their kids and then immediately watch it on TV.

or a group of guys out at a bachelor party to take some funny video and immediately watch it the next morning.

all of this without lugging around a video camera. the beauty of the camera phone is that it's almost always with you.
    07-08-2010 01:05 PM
    There are probably a half dozen alternatives. HDMI from the phone is the simplest (if it works).

But here are the impediments I can think of:

1. They didn't include the cable which is relatively unique. If I bought the cable, I wouldn't be able to use it for anything else because of the micro-HDMI end. At the least, they could have included an HDMI to micro HDMI adapter. If that's possible.

2. Rather just dump the video to a home theater PC or laptop to connect to the TV rather than having to tether your phone to the TV. That's certainly not more convenient
    3. It's not going to work on grandma's 1998 Zenith. Apparently it doesn't work on some 1 year old HDTV's either.

4. How often will people actually shoot video using their cell phone that's worthy of a 46" TV. I suppose there's high quality YouTube, so this one is a wash. 720p is 720p..not sure where you're going with that argument.

Not a bad idea overall, but if it permanently hinders operation of the rest of the phone it should have been scrapped for DLNA or something. I totally agree with this
    ^Comments in red
    07-08-2010 01:29 PM
    ^Comments in red
    Regarding using an HTPC or laptop, if it's a 30 minute movie I would rather do that than either not be able to use my phone for 30 minutes or have to stop the movie if I want to do something. Never said it was more convenient.

As for the grandma's TV, I think one of the best uses would be that. Show the impromptu videos of the kids. But neither of my parents have an HDTV let along one with HDMI. Your mileage may vary.

For the TV comment, I meant I know personally that the videos I take with my cell phone are fine for viewing at 320x240 or VCG. Nothing would be gained by watching in 720p on a big screen TV. Again, YMMV.
    07-08-2010 01:55 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD