I have my 4g Evo set up as a hotspot and I have my desktop and laptop logged on.

In addition, I am running "Microsoft Live Sync" and it syncs files between the 2 computers. I am running this for the first time and my documents folder is about 20gb.

When I am looking at the activity bandwidth on the live sync program, it shows the data transferring at 1-1.5mb/sec.

However, when I look at the transfer rate on my evo, it only shows it as going around 10kb/second

So how can you explain this miraculous transfer of large files (mp3's, pdfs, etc.) if the phone only shows 10kb/second transfers?

When I actually watch youtube then it fires up to max 3g speeds

So is there some type of internal process going on here where it can transfer large amounts of data without using the internet if both PC's are hooked up to the hotspot?

Thanks
    07-08-2010 03:25 AM
    Didn't their used to be a rule about making your thread titles descriptive of the content? Maybe I'm imagining that.
    07-08-2010 09:47 AM
    Yes, it's built in to TCP/IP, when two devices hooked up to a local network have a connection with each other they don't need to look past the network.

So two IPs in the same subnet don't need to go to the gateway to find what they're looking for, they're local to each other.

I have my 4g Evo set up as a hotspot and I have my desktop and laptop logged on.

In addition, I am running "Microsoft Live Sync" and it syncs files between the 2 computers. I am running this for the first time and my documents folder is about 20gb.

When I am looking at the activity bandwidth on the live sync program, it shows the data transferring at 1-1.5mb/sec.

However, when I look at the transfer rate on my evo, it only shows it as going around 10kb/second

So how can you explain this miraculous transfer of large files (mp3's, pdfs, etc.) if the phone only shows 10kb/second transfers?

When I actually watch youtube then it fires up to max 3g speeds

So is there some type of internal process going on here where it can transfer large amounts of data without using the internet if both PC's are hooked up to the hotspot?

Thanks
    rem_kujawa likes this.
    07-08-2010 12:05 PM
    Didn't their used to be a rule about making your thread titles descriptive of the content? Maybe I'm imagining that.
    just hover your mouse over the subject line to get a preview of the content...sorry if it bothered you

Yes, it's built in to TCP/IP, when two devices hooked up to a local network have a connection with each other they don't need to look past the network.

So two IPs in the same subnet don't need to go to the gateway to find what they're looking for, they're local to each other.
    Thanks! this is awesome!
    07-08-2010 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD