Will Sprint automatically figure out that I turned on my Mobile Hotspot and automatically start charging me for it? I don't want to spend the $30, but I just flipped it on and never got any warning or anything saying I'll be charged.

STRONG 4G signal in my office, so it'd be kind of cool, but I'd rather not pay for it.
    07-08-2010 08:20 AM
    No, it will not automatically charge you. You're encountering the 4G bug, where as long as you're in 4G service, it will function. Note that that is not by design, and is being fixed.
    07-08-2010 08:22 AM
    i think this loophole ended.
    07-08-2010 08:31 AM
    Well, I'll have to check my bill this month. But I flipped the switch and it worked great in the office and I was never warned that it would charge.

I can't imagine that Sprint will be able to continue to charge for this service on the phones where it's available considering every other carrier will be offering it on their devices for free.
    07-08-2010 08:33 AM
    Its suppose to end around July 15th.
    07-08-2010 08:43 AM
    Well, I'll have to check my bill this month. But I flipped the switch and it worked great in the office and I was never warned that it would charge.

I can't imagine that Sprint will be able to continue to charge for this service on the phones where it's available considering every other carrier will be offering it on their devices for free.
    The only DEVICE, much less carrier that offers a similar service for free would be the Pre Plus on Verizon. Everything else requires a fee as much, if not more than the EVO's.

Froyo will have OS-supported hotspot functionality, but it is expected to be locked down by all the carriers.
    07-08-2010 08:45 AM
    The only DEVICE, much less carrier that offers a similar service for free would be the Pre Plus on Verizon. Everything else requires a fee as much, if not more than the EVO's.

Froyo will have OS-supported hotspot functionality, but it is expected to be locked down by all the carriers.
    That's cool, I was just curious since my buddy just updated his Nexus One and now has it on there, on T-Mobile. Works like a champ too.
    07-08-2010 08:47 AM

Are you sure that the Pre Plus on Verizon can do this? Because my brother and Dad both have the Pre Plus and have to pay extra for the hot spot functionality.
    07-08-2010 05:45 PM
    Are you sure that the Pre Plus on Verizon can do this? Because my brother and Dad both have the Pre Plus and have to pay extra for the hot spot functionality.
    the hotspot feature for the Pre Plus on Verizon is free.
    07-08-2010 08:15 PM
    Note when it was initially released, it did cost money, but they changed that quite a while ago.
    07-08-2010 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD