Weird endless Sync loop - SERIOUS battery drain

MultiMatt

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed something in the past day or two and I can't figure out what is wrong:

I noticed the Sync icon was showing in the Notification bar a LOT, and at the same time, my device was getting very warm. Went to my Sync settings and noticed the button in the lower left flickering back and forth between Cancel Sync and Sync All.

I have tried turning off everything in the Sync settings and it STILL does it!
Went to Advanced Task Killer and killed most items - STILL does it!

Battery is draining faster than imaginable, and the device is getting seriously warm (112 degrees).

Any ideas? I have reset several times, and it still does it. I am in Sync Hell!

MultiMatt

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Okay - found the root of the problem, though I still have no idea why:

It's Google Contacts. When I drill down into the Google Sync menu, Sync Contacts is freaking out. A message flashes at the bottom of the screen saying something like "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back up shortly."

Un-checking Sync Contacts stops all the madness. I'm leaving it un-checked for now.

Hoping a hard reset is not necessary. That would majorly suck to have to do that, one month into owning this thing.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
People shouldn't be so quick to suggest a hard reset. That should be the last resort, not the first.

I've had intermittent problems like this with Exchange sync, and it usually clears up after a while. In my case, it seems to be a problem on the Exchange server end.

MultiMatt

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Status update on this:
With Sync Contacts de-selected, everything has been acting normally. However, as soon as I tried re-selecting Sync Contacts today, I'm back to freaky behavior. Was hoping time would clear that up...

I can say with certainty that this issue revolves around the contacts only. Is there a way to opt to overwrite the contacts (would prefer the EVO overwrite Google contacts, as my phone has most current info)?

MultiMatt

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Found the answer

Okay, I found the solution via Google Help. This pertains to Gmail, but the same steps are followed for the Contacts Storage:

On Android devices, the Gmail application is automatically synced with the Gmail server, and vice versa. If you experience problems with syncing, try clearing your device's Gmail application data and doing a fresh sync with the server.

Just follow these steps:

Press your device's < Home > button, then press < Menu >.
Select Settings.
Select Applications, then Manage applications.
Select Gmail Storage. (in my case, Contacts Storage)
Note: If you don't see 'Gmail Storage,' press < Menu > again, then select Filter > All.
Select Clear data. Answer OK when prompted.
Return to the list of applications by pressing the < Back > button on your device.

Restart your device.
To restart your device, press and hold the < Power > or < End call > button, then select Power off. Press the < Power > or < End call > button to power on.
Your device will re-sync with the server after restarting (this may take several minutes).
The only bummer: the changes I made on my device since this began acting up have been overwritten by the data on the Google server. BUT, it got me up & running again. Had to re-do my contact shortcuts on the Home screen, but otherwise all is good again.

Just wish I knew what the culprit was. I've been bragging about how seamless my Android syncs everything as compared to the hellish nightmares I had with Microsoft ActiveStink over the years! Hope I don't experience this again! :p

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Coulda just tried deleting the Gmail account and setting it back up. Sorry i didn't see this thread sooner. Have been occupied with projects at work lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos