Trying to decide which phone is better Evo or the Samsung Epic?

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
If a camera flash for taking photos or a front facing camera for video calling are important to you, go with the EVO. If you want to do 3D gaming, then the Epic is probably the better choice. Just depends on what your needs are.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I returned my EVO and am waiting for the Epic. I saw someone say that the camera on the evo is better; that's only in theory so I just wanted to clear that up. I've seen pictures taken on the EPIC and the photos look more livley and vibrant on the EPIC HTC is known for having cheaper end cameras. The video taken on the EPIC also seems superior to the EVO. The evo has a fps rate that is less so than the evo as well 24 fps vs 30 fps. I like the evo, don't get me wrong but the Epic I believe will have some superior functionality. Both solid Phones though-- Can't be sure to an official release of the epic though.

PS you posted in an EVO forum haha.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I've heard things about Samsung reliability.
HTC's been kind of slow with the updates, but they said they're rolling out 2.2 on all devices by end of December. Samsung said that their S series (that includes Epic) will get the update, but hasn't said a date.

Samsung is not in the habit of sending upgrades to their phones. I have had 3 of them, and even if there is a bug in the phone, the most likely will not update.

Their idea of an update is you buying a new phone with the better software. That way they make more money on phones.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I returned my EVO and am waiting for the Epic. I saw someone say that the camera on the evo is better; that's only in theory so I just wanted to clear that up. I've seen pictures taken on the EPIC and the photos look more livley and vibrant on the EPIC HTC is known for having cheaper end cameras. The video taken on the EPIC also seems superior to the EVO. The evo has a fps rate that is less so than the evo as well 24 fps vs 30 fps. I like the evo, don't get me wrong but the Epic I believe will have some superior functionality. Both solid Phones though-- Can't be sure to an official release of the epic though.

PS you posted in an EVO forum haha.

Every indicatinos so far says the EVO camera in both still and video mode is inferior to the Samsung Galaxy S line. Just check out any of the reviews of other Galaxy S models with the same 5MP sensor.

It is evident from the EVO 30fps limit that HTC is all about cutting the corners when it comes to absolute user experience. Given that perspective, I fully expect the EVO's camera sensor to be inferior, hence explaining the poor results we've seen so far, and I don't think a software tweak will improve the IQ.

Samsung is not in the habit of sending upgrades to their phones. I have had 3 of them, and even if there is a bug in the phone, the most likely will not update.

Their idea of an update is you buying a new phone with the better software. That way they make more money on phones.

May I ask what phones were they? In this competitive Android market, I fully expect a large corporation such as Samsung to be in competition with the industry leaders and providing industry standard support such as software updates to bugs.. You can't seriously expect Samsung to provide an OTA update that bricks phones and not provide a fix for it - just as an example..

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Every indicatinos so far says the EVO camera in both still and video mode is inferior to the Samsung Galaxy S line. Just check out any of the reviews of other Galaxy S models with the same 5MP sensor.

It is evident from the EVO 30fps limit that HTC is all about cutting the corners when it comes to absolute user experience. Given that perspective, I fully expect the EVO's camera sensor to be inferior, hence explaining the poor results we've seen so far, and I don't think a software tweak will improve the IQ.

That is just a typo on my part. That's what I meant. The mega pixels on the evo don't mean very much.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If a camera flash for taking photos or a front facing camera for video calling are important to you, go with the EVO. If you want to do 3D gaming, then the Epic is probably the better choice. Just depends on what your needs are.

The Epic 4G does come with a flash on the main camera and front facing camera for video calling.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
The Evo's camera is not very good in low light compared to a Galaxy S phone (assuming the Epic has the same camera sensor as the Galaxy S i9000). Megapixels mean absolutely nothing on the Evo, nor on any phone I have had. It claims that it can get expanded to 8 Megapixels (someone help me out with the exact resolution here, thanks!), but I start seeing some pretty bad problems after putting it at 1440x900. The photos just look really terrible IMO, but of course, I have not tried customizing the settings too much. The i9000 looks really good at 1440x900 in low light.
As for me, I returned my Evo and will be getting an Epic 4g. I really think that Samsung will be different about updates on this phone (I have owned an Instinct and there actually were quite a few software updates, although I still hated the phone). I loved Sense, but I'm over it now because I actually kind of like Touchwiz 3.0. All in all, it comes down to personal preference, but for me, I just see a few more important things for me in the Epic than in the Evo.