No 3g while on a phone call

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
While I was on a phone call today, I tried going online to check my email and browse the web; come to find out I get a message saying that I did not have an internet connection. I thought I was not in a 3g area, but then again, I always get 3g where I am at. So I tried it again; made a phone call and tried browsing the web and I noticed that my 3g icon was not showing up on the top of my screen.

Noticing that I could not get 3g while I was on my phone call, I went to sprint and asked their manager if my phone was having any problems or if it's just a signal issue. He stated since the EVO is a 4g phone, we can only access the web while on a phone call when there is a 4g signal. I found that strange. Why would sprint do this? Especially since 4g kills battery life a lot. I wonder if the OTA update relieves battery draining with 4g turned on. The EVO is capable of 3g signal with ease. With my pre I could log online via 3g while on a phone call.

Asking a sprint store manager or rep it's hard to tell if they are telling the truth or just making up some b.s. Does anyone here know if this is true? If its is, then I guess I would have to wait til 4g is up and running in the bay by the end of the summer or year.

abbdu4#AC

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
cdma for sprint doesnt allow calling and web surfing at the same time over 3g. over 4g you can do it or if u are connected to wifi.

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Its CDMA and how it operates. Verizon is the same. Only GSM providers can do calls + data at the same time ie: ATT + Tmobile.

Don't worry, CDMA is better than GSM as far as reception quality goes. It penetrates walls + concrete much easier than GSM can because it operates on a lower frequency.

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Your signature says you used the Samsung Instinct and palm pre, both sprint phones. So you've been with Sprint for a while and you only just realised that you can't simultaneously access data and voice while on 3G?

Anyway that's why ATT had an ad campaign around being able to do both (voice and data) at the same time. It was a dig at Verizon not being able to; Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA.

As others have pointed out, you can do it as long as you aren't using 3G for data access. So 4G or wifi will work fine.

It is impossible for you to access voice and data over 3G with the Palm Pre. You must have had wifi on and didn't realize that's how you are accessing data.

bigblue4ever

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken it technically became possible to do voice and data when 3G cdma came around. Sprint and Verizon just aren't setup to support it.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry, CDMA is better than GSM as far as reception quality goes. It penetrates walls + concrete much easier than GSM can because it operates on a lower frequency.
Actually CDMA and GSM use similar frequencies... see wikipedia for example. CDMA and GSM are different ways of encoding and decoding digital information to enable thousands of users to transmit and receive voice and data using one band of frequencies.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually CDMA and GSM use similar frequencies... see wikipedia for example. CDMA and GSM are different ways of encoding and decoding digital information to enable thousands of users to transmit and receive voice and data using one band of frequencies.

Correct. The band is actually decided between the FCC and the wireless company. The technology, GSM or CMDA, play no role.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
That's good.

I'd rather have 4g coming near me in the next year or so than be able to surf on 3g while talking to someone (rude much?)

4g "wimax" as we know it may be just a temporary thing because sprint wanted to be the first to have it. Wimax is booming globally but not so much stateside, they only have like 41 towers i think that are servicing the wimax network. and thats not many if they are advertising 30 some markets for it. They are not ruling out "lte". they just decided they wanted to be the first to have a newere network and not that last and wimax was the easiest for them to jump into....

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
4g "wimax" as we know it may be just a temporary thing because sprint wanted to be the first to have it. Wimax is booming globally but not so much stateside, they only have like 41 towers i think that are servicing the wimax network. and thats not many if they are advertising 30 some markets for it. They are not ruling out "lte". they just decided they wanted to be the first to have a newere network and not that last and wimax was the easiest for them to jump into....

That's interesting.

I wonder how it'll turn out.
But sprint needed something temporary.
They needed something to get onto the level of the other two carriers.

Wiimax was probably a good choice for giving them a jumpstart.
Again, we'll see how Sprint holds up. I actually like Sprint and Dan Hesse, so we'll see.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
if i was in europe i'd get a gsm phone cuz that's the standard there. As for havin two other smart phone before the EVO, I guess I was simply not paying attention to it. Sue me. hah!

Last edited:

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Again, we'll see how Sprint holds up. I actually like Sprint and Dan Hesse, so we'll see.

I feel that Dan Hesse has done a good job for turning sprint around. Before it was known for it's terrible customer service, and now everytime i call into customer service, I get better customer service than I did before. Signal is a lot stronger with not that many dropped calls (if any), and their devices get better and better. I think the 69.99 plan of unlimited cell calls and data was brilliant!

NokiaNokia

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Its CDMA and how it operates. Verizon is the same. Only GSM providers can do calls + data at the same time ie: ATT + Tmobile.

Werx,

Both AT&T GSM and VZ CDMA use 850MHz & 1900MHz frequencies, both are digital, so they are theoretically the same in call quality.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

This is wrong. Remember, 3g on the gsm networks is wcdma which is the same air interface as cdma Verizon and sprint. It has all the same propagation characteristics, same building penetration, etc. It IS cdma, just wide band, hence why It's called wcdma. So gsm actually is the best of both worlds.

And yes It's funny that this poster has used cdma this long but didn't realize cdma has never been able to do voice and data at the same time. :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

41 towers? Where in the world do you come up with these "facts", and why do you post such nonsense when it would be so easy to check. WiMax is up and running official in perhaps a dozen cities, and is partially implemented in dozens more. There are more than 41 towers in the DC area alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12