Did sprint "do it" this time?

twbtr

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well it has been a little more than a month since the evo dropped into our patiently waiting hands, so I was wondering what you all think, is the evo finally living up to the iphone killer (ok maybe more like legit competitor) that the instinct and pre failed to be. If it is, do you think the sales are reflecting this? Or is the evo being underproduced keeping demand high and supply low? Is sprints marketing campaign for the evo up to par with vzw and att?

Personally i absolutly love my evo, ive never had a phone i enjoy so much. And i cant believe i was on the fence before i bought it. But i was just wondering what everyone elses feelings are so far...

r-nice

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Sprint did anything other than get a great exclusive phone. The Palm Pre is a great phone - the Samsung Instinct...not so much. The commercials have been ok but nothing mind blowing. I do love the phone though.

Another thkng - Sprint doesn't want to kill the iPhone, they want to get it in their network.

duckwars

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Another thkng - Sprint doesn't want to kill the iPhone, they want to get it in their network.

Well, I don't think this is really so. I mean, I'm sure every carrier wants the iPhone, but it will never be in Sprint's best interest to pay out Apple as much as Apple will demand.

They're better off just trying to produce phones that compete well, which I think the Evo has. I really do believe it's the first real competition for the iPhone.

By christmas there will android phones that not only COMPETE with iPhone but will out do the iPhone in MANY categories.

The future's uncertain and the ends always near.

Deathwish238

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Well it has been a little more than a month since the evo dropped into our patiently waiting hands, so I was wondering what you all think, is the evo finally living up to the iphone killer (ok maybe more like legit competitor) that the instinct and pre failed to be. If it is, do you think the sales are reflecting this? Or is the evo being underproduced keeping demand high and supply low? Is sprints marketing campaign for the evo up to par with vzw and att?

Personally i absolutly love my evo, ive never had a phone i enjoy so much. And i cant believe i was on the fence before i bought it. But i was just wondering what everyone elses feelings are so far...

The EVO imo is better than the iPhone in many ways, the level of customizable functionality is not even close on the iPhone and the notification system the iPhone still uses is horrid and interruptive.

The iPhone is still a decent phone(well...not at making phone calls actually but a decent smartphone)...but Android does everything better imo and the EVO 4G has a much larger screen. 3.5" is too small, 3.7" is the minimum I'ld consider buying imo. 4.3" is just great, I'm envious.

If Apple were to be a little more open and innovate instead of market flash words like "Retina" display...they'ld be a lot better of a company. The iPhone 4 has worse specs than the EVO 4G which is just sad.

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't think this is really so. I mean, I'm sure every carrier wants the iPhone, but it will never be in Sprint's best interest to pay out Apple as much as Apple will demand.

They're better off just trying to produce phones that compete well, which I think the Evo has. I really do believe it's the first real competition for the iPhone.

By christmas there will android phones that not only COMPETE with iPhone but will out do the iPhone in MANY categories.

The future's uncertain and the ends always near.

Let it roll... Yeay.... All night long...

.. do it Robbie, do it..

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there will ever be an iphone killer. At least from a non-Apple company. Fanboys are so happy with "new features" such as copy/paste and multi-tasking, which are actually 10+ years old. How can any company compete with that? The iphone 5g will have new features such as a removable battery and sd card and will sell millions.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the term iPhone killer is relevant anymore. In the past, it was about creating a device that had superior features and performance to the iPhone. I think that we are long past that. I actually think that threshold was crossed with the original Droid. If there is any talk about the iPhone killer now, it is only by the numbers (sales). I don't think that there will be another device that outsells the iPhone anytime soon. But as far as features and performance, the iPhone has been murdered repeatedly in my book.

sonny50

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I sell both the EVO and the iphone. Since the launch of both phones our store is selling EVO's 10-1 over the iphone. About 30% of the EVO sales are to former iphone owners, who are also trading in their old phone as well.

If we had 50 EVO's and 50 iphones we would sell all of the EVO's in one day and still have iphones left.

In my market the EVO is an iphone KILLER!

phillysdon04

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't know how to advertise. Really it's verizon with the droid, transformers and layer commercials that I think boosted the sales of the android os. Sprint needs commercials showing the evo in action using qik, using the kick stand, using a hdmi cable or etc. I think most of us also got the evo because of the hype online. I'm not saying that the phone isn't great but they need commercials that shows why the phone is great.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I sell both the EVO and the iphone. Since the launch of both phones our store is selling EVO's 10-1 over the iphone. About 30% of the EVO sales are to former iphone owners, who are also trading in their old phone as well.

If we had 50 EVO's and 50 iphones we would sell all of the EVO's in one day and still have iphones left.

In my market the EVO is an iphone KILLER!

The iPhone has unsold the EVO for sure. I believe I read that almost 2 million iPhone were sold the first week. That's greater than the EVO that I read sold about a half a million. But I do agree that the EVO is a better device.

twbtr

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't know how to advertise. Really it's verizon with the droid, transformers and layer commercials that I think boosted the sales of the android os. Sprint needs commercials showing the evo in action using qik, using the kick stand, using a hdmi cable or etc. I think most of us also got the evo because of the hype online. I'm not saying that the phone isn't great but they need commercials that shows why the phone is great.

Really? A kickstand commercial? Hmmmm...

I agree that the advertising to the general public has been weak at best, only people who really do a lot of research before buying have caught on. And people who are passionate about smartphones of course. On the other hand i think sprints online advertising was excellent. I wonder how many of us would know what the evo was if we had no access to the internet? I dont think i would......

MrLogan13

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint commercials for the EVO are okay, but they suck compared to the Droid commercials that Verizon is putting out. The Droid ad campaign is marketing at it's best.

marshall_634

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a co-worker who has had an iPhone since the first one. He saw my Evo and was using it a bit and loved it. He went and bought an Evo instead of buying an iPhone4, So i think the proof is what most people are doing out there. (trading thier iphone for an android powered phone)

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
There will never be an iPhone killer as there will always be that "I don't care" guy that will buy what ever product Apple sells regardless of how good/bad it is. That said, Android is what will take the dominant position in the market. The Droid was the warning shot and now Android is making some serious moves starting with the Evo and Droid X and Samsung S phones coming up.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Is the Evo an iPhone killer? No, because there are several million buyers who will buy anything with an Apple logo on it, and never consider another device.

Does it compete with the iPhone mano a mano? Yeah. In my opinion it's superior to the iPhone in most respects. The biggest key, I think, is that you can take an iPhone out of the box and get pretty close to 100% of what it's capable of. Android phones aren't that friendly out of the box. To get the most out of one, you need to be willing to do some tinkering.

But if you do that, I think the Evo is far more powerful, with real multi-tasking instead of the iPhone's task switching masquerading as multi-tasking, an easier to read screen (in spite of the iPhones higher resolution), open standards video conferencing over 3G (vs. a proprietary solution only over WiFi on the iPhone), a far more open environment, and a better carrier at lower rates. Oh, and an antenna that works no matter how you hold the phone.

The only place I'd rate the iPhone as superior is as a game platform.

My humble opinion.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is the Evo an iPhone killer? No, because there are several million buyers who will buy anything with an Apple logo on it, and never consider another device.

Does it compete with the iPhone mano a mano? Yeah. In my opinion it's superior to the iPhone in most respects. The biggest key, I think, is that you can take an iPhone out of the box and get pretty close to 100% of what it's capable of. Android phones aren't that friendly out of the box. To get the most out of one, you need to be willing to do some tinkering.

But if you do that, I think the Evo is far more powerful, with real multi-tasking instead of the iPhone's task switching masquerading as multi-tasking, an easier to read screen (in spite of the iPhones higher resolution), open standards video conferencing over 3G (vs. a proprietary solution only over WiFi on the iPhone), a far more open environment, and a better carrier at lower rates. Oh, and an antenna that works no matter how you hold the phone.

The only place I'd rate the iPhone as superior is as a game platform.

My humble opinion.

Fring was released for the Iphone which let's video chat happen over 3G. That's why they (Fring) had to turn off the phone-to-Skype feature until they can get more servers online.

Other than that I agree 100% with what you said.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Let's face it, the iPhone is the most popular smartphone on the planet. Doesn't mean that its the best, but it is definitely the most well known device across the globe. And it s demographic has a wider range. Anyone from a pre teen to someone's grandparents can and will use an iPhone. Android devices dont have that. I'm not sure if anyone can beat that either. Once the iPhone is sold on multiple US carriers, its popularity will increase exponentially.