3G indicator lies on Evo?

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I live in a small city, but commute to a job way out in the boonies. On my previous phone, I'd get reasonable 3g service where I live, but would consistently drop back to 1xRTT at work.

I was pleasantly surprised to see my Evo apparently get a 3g signal at work - or at least the status bar said I was getting 3G. Speeds were slow, and I've had a nagging suspicion the indicator was inaccurate.

Well, I've been running the Sensorly app to map coverage in the area, and low and behold it sees solid 3g service in the city where I live, dropping off to 1xRTT along the way to work. After work, I pick up 3g again on the way home, right where I lost it in the morning.

Sure looks to me like the status bar indicator isn't accurately reflecting what the hardware is seeing.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It dosent.

Ive verified this myself so many times.

I live in the countryside where im constantly roaming and or 1xRTT and the 3g icon will light up even though its 1xRTT.

It will go away after my AIRAVE provisions. But once i go into town again where there is 3g the icon will stay when i leave to 1x areas again.

Also it stays lit when roaming, and around here you can not roam at verizons 3g speeds, data roaming is limited to 1x. Ran speed tests app to confirm as well the download speeds are always called but the upload however still stayed high.