EVO and the Pre Headphones

brichter45

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I have two pairs of Pre headphones and i can't get either of them to work in the EVO? Anyone else have issues plugging in their pre headphones? When i plug it in all the way the headphone icon pops up shortly on the screen then goes away seems like i have to work the headphones to show up and work correctly?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Haha you still have those? Maybe you have to push it in constantly to make it work. If you're a dedicated music listener, I suggest buying better headphones cause it means a world of difference in quality.

Sorry I can't help you more.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about Pre-specific headphones, but I have OEM 3.5mm Palm stereo headphones from my WM Treos and those work flawlessly with the Evo. I currently use Sony headphones, very good sound. They are made for the iPhone and the inline volume control does not work with the Evo.

Recently ordered OEM HTC 3.5mm stereo headphones from DayDeal, Inc. They have inline track control for rew-play-fwd which will make using the phone as a music player that much convenient.

brichter45

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Weird. I plug in the headphones and have to turn the headphone jack until it pops up that something plugged in... It's hit and miss on the first time plugging it in... Should i be able to use this headset like with my pre making calls and pausing music playback?

brichter45

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha I never used those when I had my Pre, are you that cheap or due they sound that good?

haha just that cheap... actually i just got the phone today figured i'd try the pre headphones. I used them all the time with my pre, was so nice for phone calls.

Do you have any suggestions for headsets?

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have two pairs of Pre headphones and i can't get either of them to work in the EVO? Anyone else have issues plugging in their pre headphones? When i plug it in all the way the headphone icon pops up shortly on the screen then goes away seems like i have to work the headphones to show up and work correctly?

Have you tried another set of headphones to determine if it is only happening with those specific headphones, or if it is happening with another set as well?

That would be the first test I would suggest...this will allow you to isolate the issue.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i use an iPhone headset that works great. $29. i really like the white cord and i think i know why they did it. because people can see when you are wearing them and they don't bother you (as opposed to black which can be hard to see).

dutchman71

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Pre head phones are decent. I actually bought a bunch on Amazon for less than $2 each the other day. I prefer those over the ones that fit completely in your ear while biking or skiing

Sometimes I do have to push a little harder to make sure the plug goes all the way in.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got some $18 Sony headphones...
No sound leak
Good quality

Do some research... you can find some good ones.
Also, www.slickdeals.net usually have headphones... if you have an account, just tell it to alert you when there's a deal on headphones.

Kenper

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Pre Headsets

I use my Pre ones all the time. They work great. It sounds like yours might not be all the way in. Ta a couple of bucks a pair on ebay they're pretty cheap too.

brichter45

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Well for sure i wasn't pushing it in all the way. I was being a little too nice to the device. Rack this up to me being dumb.... Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm loving my EVO!!!

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
My PRE headphones work just fine. Not the best quality headphones for music but nice to mave a headset with a mic for answering calls when they come in. Also nice to have a button that pauses/plays the music so you don't have to take the phone out of your pocket. I'm sure there are higher quality headphones out there, but you can't beat free! I was a little surprised that the EVO didn't come with a headset.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well for sure i wasn't pushing it in all the way. I was being a little too nice to the device. Rack this up to me being dumb.... Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm loving my EVO!!!

If you happen to be a long-time Palm user like myself, I would say you are forgiven. With the repeated issues of the Palm headset connector failures on their phone lines over the years, I was "cautious" too when I first used a wired headset on my Evo. :cool:

brichter45

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
If you happen to be a long-time Palm user like myself, I would say you are forgiven. With the repeated issues of the Palm headset connector failures on their phone lines over the years, I was "cautious" too when I first used a wired headset on my Evo. :cool:

For sure, when i used the headsets with my pre i would have to spin it around a bit otherwise i would get this high pitched sound. Was a pain in the arse when trying to talk on them!

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For sure, when i used the headsets with my pre i would have to spin it around a bit otherwise i would get this high pitched sound. Was a pain in the arse when trying to talk on them!

At least, from the collective experience, the Pre phone jack is not as prone to mechanical failure as the ones on the Treo line ~ my feeling this was related to the use of a 2.5mm jack on those models.

Kuddos to Palm, it only took about 5-years and about 6-8 devices to make a sturdy phone jack that would not break with normal use!