Possible battery drain? - 4G off but the phone keep trying to connect it

dysung72

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded aLogcat and looked what's going on with my phone processor. To my surprise, there are numerous strings saying:

I/Wimax (87): <DC>trying to establish a connection to DC server
E/Wimax (87): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/1270.1:7771 - Connection Refused'

This goes on continuously with my 4G radio button off. Does your evo do this? Might this contribute to my less than stellar battery life? My battery life is excellent in standby mode - it only goes down by a few percent over night but as soon as I start using the phone it drains over 10 percent per hour with web browsing on 3G (4G off). I turned off always on data and doing minimal syncing.

dysung72

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the same log entries (note you should have wrote 127.0.0.1:7771). Check out these related URL's:

Wimax errors after OTA update <DC CONNECT> - xda-developers

HTC EVO 4G:Evo battery draining faster after update

Thanks for the links. It seems like there is a problem with 4g scanning after 4g got turned off. I hope either sprint find a solution or someone at xda forum can come up with their own solution. For the time being, I have to be careful on enabling the 4g button.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded aLogcat and looked what's going on with my phone processor. To my surprise, there are numerous strings saying:

I/Wimax (87): <DC>trying to establish a connection to DC server
E/Wimax (87): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/1270.1:7771 - Connection Refused'

This goes on continuously with my 4G radio button off. Does your evo do this? Might this contribute to my less than stellar battery life? My battery life is excellent in standby mode - it only goes down by a few percent over night but as soon as I start using the phone it drains over 10 percent per hour with web browsing on 3G (4G off). I turned off always on data and doing minimal syncing.

I would do a factory reset....... Right out the box I got pretty good battery life with my EVO.... I averaged 12 - 16 hours out the box on what I considered Medium use.... Just in case I ordered a spare battery and I swapped out the stock battery for the newer so called larger capacity battery... All of a sudden I couldn't get more than 6 hours on a charge.. I went from 100% to 15% in 3 - 4 hours with use and 6 hours if I didn't touch it. I swapped back to the stock battery and the same thing happened... Installed ATK and killed all Apps... No good... Swapped battery again and still No Good.... Finally I installed Spare Parts and I couldn't pinpoint a problem... The battery just kept going dead is under 6 hours.... Spare Parts did show a blank block that showed 100% but it had nothing in there... My up and awake times were exactly the same....

Got pissed and did a quick factory reset........ instantly back to 12 - 16 hours of battery life.... Some thing got hung up in the back ground and I couldn't pin point it for the life of me using all sorts of different programs...

2 days later I updated to the 6.28 update and still have had no problems... I am scared to switch out batteries.. LOL.. No clue what happened but a factory reset helped....

kaediil

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So, I was messing around killing processes randomly until those messages stopped. I am rooted and was inside a shell. I finally killed system_server. Well, interestingly enough, maybe 30 seconds later Android restarted - the phone did not reboot, rather it went to the 4g boot screen, not going all the way back to the Android boot screen. When the system came back up in maybe 10 seconds, the messages were gone.

Why did I pick this to kill? Because looking at the logs, it appeared that the process id of the process printing those errors was the system_server.

Not really a fix, but at least it rebooted faster then a full reboot. YMMV

-frank

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34