ZDNet: HTC Evo vs. Droid X

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
the way i figure it, the first page of any review is the most important. Its often where the reviewer lists the side by side specs between the 2 products, and sets the tone for the rest of the article. And when information is left off, i cant take the rest of the article seriously.

By leaving out the front camera, which is with video chat capabilities a giant selling point for the evo, i cant help but think that he will have bias towards the droid x right off the bat. Despite the fact that he tipped the favor to the evo at the end.

edit: going back through the article, i couldn't find mention of the video chat or front camera at all...

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Still, in the end, he claims the Evo 4g to be the winner.

Though it is true that different people use their devices differently.
He uses the tether option a lot and also uses Sprint TV... which, as a Sprint application, often gets hated on.

Yeah I guess to the average reader it sounds like he's ill-informed.
However, if you followed his twitter, he actually used the Evo's QIK feature a lot and showed many videos of him at a bike race show... thing and whatnot... It's odd he didn't include it in his write-up.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The EVO is the Heavyweight Champoin on the World!

"I personally chose the HTC EVO 4G because I prefer the functionality of HTC Sense, I enjoy the included Sprint services (primarily Sprint Navigation and Sprint TV), I like that I have true unlimited data and never have to worry about limits while streaming content, I like the EVO 4G bottom button placement and find the touch sensitive areas to be easier to work with than hardware buttons, I like using the front facing camera (and the possibility of better future support is present) and I like having the option to connect via 4G. I do think the Droid X is a fantastic device and it would be tough for me to choose between it and the HTC Droid Incredible if I was a Verizon customer. I do think the Droid X will be a very hot seller for Verizon and Motorola, but the HTC EVO 4G, combined with Sprint, really sets the bar for Android smartphones and is the Heavyweight Champion of the World."

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Fair comparison. I also agree, sense, front facing camera, Sprint applications, etc are some reasons why I also stick with the Evo and Sprint

Gimik

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
put the X processors in the evo and you'd have the best phone ever :( So close. So close.

I stuck with the Evo because of sprint, the front camera, the unlocked HDMI (wtf VZW?) and the unencrypted bootloader. In the end it wasn't much of a choice for me, but I still miss some things from the X. Both of them are just monster phones and you can't really go wrong with either.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nope you cant go wrong with either phone, and soon as HTC removes the stupid cap for all the people who love to play 3D games all will be right in the world, it is already going towards that direction with all the bad rep apple is catching, I love my EVO, had one of my friends rant to me about his iphone and my evo saying evo is huge like holding the tablet next to ear, but since sunday he does not say a word to me about his iphone. Long as it is a Android OS it is a win win for all of us here, does not matter if it Sprint or VZW, we are all in the same boat " Android Boat ".

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
the way i figure it, the first page of any review is the most important. Its often where the reviewer lists the side by side specs between the 2 products, and sets the tone for the rest of the article. And when information is left off, i cant take the rest of the article seriously.

By leaving out the front camera, which is with video chat capabilities a giant selling point for the evo, i cant help but think that he will have bias towards the droid x right off the bat. Despite the fact that he tipped the favor to the evo at the end.

edit: going back through the article, i couldn't find mention of the video chat or front camera at all...

It appears you didn't read the article very well. This is the last paragraph of the Form factor section of the article:

"The 1.3 megapixel front facing camera on the EVO 4G is one of the best front facing cameras on any smartphone and while the video calling software is not the greatest at this time, I did enjoy making some video calls and think this is an area where we will soon see improvements. The Droid X has no front facing camera."

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It appears you didn't read the article very well. This is the last paragraph of the Form factor section of the article:

"The 1.3 megapixel front facing camera on the EVO 4G is one of the best front facing cameras on any smartphone and while the video calling software is not the greatest at this time, I did enjoy making some video calls and think this is an area where we will soon see improvements. The Droid X has no front facing camera."

You beat me to it.. i was just wondering how anyone could miss the fact he addresses the front facing camera on the first page.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Both devices are definitely great and probably the two best devices on the planet right now. But obviously, I like the EVO better. I like the design and I like the Sense UI. 4G and a front facing camera are just extras.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
put the X processors in the evo and you'd have the best phone ever :( So close. So close.

I stuck with the Evo because of sprint, the front camera, the unlocked HDMI (wtf VZW?) and the unencrypted bootloader. In the end it wasn't much of a choice for me, but I still miss some things from the X. Both of them are just monster phones and you can't really go wrong with either.

I don't think you have any beef with the Snapdragon, you just don't like the Adreno GPU it is best buddies with, right? Well, fear not, your solution (as long as you don't mind losing HTC Sense and adding a physical keyboard) will come by the way of the Epic 4G. Fastest CPU/GPU combo currently available and a 4" screen, not that much smaller than the Evo.

I for one rather just wait until next years crop of super smartphones. After all, besides Gameloft games, there isn't much that doesn't run well on the Evo.

Gimik

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you have any beef with the Snapdragon, you just don't like the Adreno GPU it is best buddies with, right? Well, fear not, your solution (as long as you don't mind losing HTC Sense and adding a physical keyboard) will come by the way of the Epic 4G. Fastest CPU/GPU combo currently available and a 4" screen, not that much smaller than the Evo.

I for one rather just wait until next years crop of super smartphones. After all, besides Gameloft games, there isn't much that doesn't run well on the Evo.

You're correct. Losing sense wont bother me (I plan on losing it as soon as the CM 2.2 comes out). Adding a phsyical keyboard actually does bother me - I'm done with physical keyboards for now. I plan on using the hell out of my Evo and then using the hell out of my sprint 12 month upgrade to hopefully rock some next level action.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude